What camera(s) are you using this weekend?

14 hours ago, bruce_z._li2 said:

Hi @Rick_van_Nooij, have fun with the Canon Dial 35! I found the Canon Dial 35 and Ricoh Auto Half, both with clockwork auto film advance, are joy to use. And both have good quality lens as well.

If only the weather would clear up a bit more, so I could actually go out and shoot the darn thing. We've had lots of rain and very little sunshine over the last two months.
I've used the Dial 35 before and it has impressed me with the image quality. (So has the Agat 18K for that matter)
The grip with the front-side shutter release can be a little awkward and prone to a bit of camera shake, particularly when trying to shoot in portrait orientation.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2024 at 11:12 AM, Rick_van_Nooij said:

Got a roll of Fomapan 100 Classic in my Canon Dial 35.
I've got a modern battery in it that, so I needed to lower the ASA setting by 2 stops to cover the voltage difference for the light meter.

While I'm about halfway through the roll, I fear it will last me well into springtime. 😉

Jacob Holt's monumental "American Pictures" project were shot largely, if not exclusively, with a Canon Dial 35 and slide film.

I remember he had daily screenings of the slide show in central Copenhagen for decades. Never got to see it, though.

I don't know why 72 frames takes so long to finish. I have no problem finishing 36 frames in what feels like no time, but 72 frames never ends.

Edited by Niels - NHSN
  • Like 3
Niels

The Canon Dial 35 (also sold as Bell & Howell Dial 35) is a fun camera.  I owned one for a long time.  Back in the 70's I ran a roll of High Speed Ektachrome through it and processed it in a Unicolor E4 kit.  The film fit in a film strip projector so I could project it without mounting.  I have some Dial 35 shots from my college years that I will add to the latest weekly thread

• Like 3

I have been running a second film through my Leica IA this weekend, to make sure I know what flaws it may have before I send it in for an overhaul.
The first film was a home rolled HP5 in a FILCA cassette and showed some horizontal scratches. It may have been my bad in the film loading process or the 90 years old cassette, so this weekend I used a roll of Fujicolor Superia X-tra 400 to possibly rule out my loading errors.
Repair techs don’t usually look for potential cause of scratches unless they are notified to do so.

Minus 7 degrees Celsius and snow in the park today so no-one playing table tennis 😉

Leica IA (1930) w. accessory Leica nickel/black rangefinder HFOOK (1933)

Leica IA (1930) w. accessory Leica nickel/black rangefinder HFOOK (1933)

• Like 7
Niels

19 minutes ago, Rick_van_Nooij said:

And, on average, only 2 frames are interesting.

I know 😄 !

For half frame, I usually print or scan the roll of 72 as 36 frames: Two half-frames side by side, like diptychs.
This unintended juxtaposition can sometimes add something additional to mundane frames when presented "as-if" there is a co-relation, even if there wasn't originally.

Below is an unintended bird themed juxtaposition taken days or weeks apart. Obviously; had I intended these to appear next to each other, I would have shown the rooster before the parakeet so the birds would "look" a each other, but I find the broken compositional rule more refreshing than bothering.

Most of my photography is fairly mundane thus this somewhat random approach can be inspirational for myself.

Olympus Pen S - Tokyo

Film was Ilford XP2 Super, camera Olympus Pen S - my favourite half-frame camera:

Olympus Pen S 30mm f2.8
  • Like 7
Niels

@RickN and all... It has been raining for circa two months.. a few days ago was the first sinshine in a long time.  One was only sunny for a few hours, and then the next day was  good for the whole day... but again...here in Western Europe, rain and overcast skies again for the last two days. I have a new to me Kodak Tourist II  I want to shoot. I re-rolled the the 120 - 620 and need a good day of Sun.. not inspired by soft light, but generally like the results...if your lens is fast enough 😉

• Like 1

as RickN said ... It has been raining for circa two months.. a few days ago was the first sunshine in a long time.  One was only sunny for a few hours, and then the next day was  good for the whole day... but again...here in Western Europe, rain and overcast skies again for the last two days. I have a "new to me" Kodak Tourist II  I want to shoot. I re-rolled the the 120 - 620 and need a good day of sun.. not inspired by soft light, but generally like the results...if your lens is fast enough 😉

IMG_5499.JPG.f7d4958e964526402e526474dc126105.JPG

This exemplar has both good and bad points... the shutter seems to "too fast" ie a 10th is more like a 25th..is more like 50th etc ..at least to my eyes and ears. Also the spool side was missing.....well the spool axle and top knob access gone.  I missed that in the photos 😞 The lenses look clean (4.5 Anaston Kodamatic 200)  and the it snaps into place very firmly.  more to follow.. as I probably won't  be shooting this till ?? And as usual I am way behind posting any results as I still have circa 7-8 rolls/cameras waiting in the wings...   

• Like 7

Hi Chuck, it has been raining a lot in Northern California as well. Thus I have been doing more indoor large format work. The Kodak Tourists are quite practical cameras with really good lens such as Anaston and Anastar (both fine Tessar formula). I actually prefer the Anaston, because the shutter commonly used for Anastar are much less reliable.

I've loaded a roll of Kentmere 400 into the old Pentax 6x7, seen below with the 45mm SMC Pentax 6x7 f/4 lens. With the cost of roll film having skyrocketed over the past few years, the 6x7 and 6x9 format cameras tend to stay on the shelf, but I try to exercise them occasionally.

AsahiPentax6x7copy.jpg.96cde5c6f6c6130c921c4bec96485d48.jpg

• Like 7

8 hours ago, rick_drawbridge said:

With the cost of roll film having skyrocketed over the past few years, the 6x7 and 6x9 format cameras tend to stay on the shelf...

I agree, especially when shooting color.

I now think of my Fujica 6X9 as a more practical alternative to my 4X5 kit and put similar attention to composition and exposure i.e. use it with a tripod for subjects I have planned and visualised beforehand.
Looking at a medium format slide on the light box is really something special.

• Like 1
Niels

I'm shooting larger formats to "save" money. :classic_biggrin: Instead of two rolls of 135 ($6 each), I shoot 2 sheet of 8x10 ($4 each) per day. Since color in 8x10 is mostly out of questions, I have to do with B&W. This is the 100 year old Kodak #2 8x10 wooden camera with the similar vintage Wollensak Velostigmat 12 inches f/4.5 lens. And lens cap as shutter.

Kodak #2 8x10 camera

• Like 12

Leica IIf (RD) with TRINOL/"Stewartry" 105mm f/3.5 and Leitz VIDOM universal finder.

I have not found much on this lens. The lens head aperture ring is signed MADE BY NATIONAL OPT. CO. LTD. LEICESTER ENGLAND. The inner chome part of the barrel is signed "STEWARTRY" MADE IN SCOTLAND.

Some speculates that TRINOL is derived from TRIplet National Optics Lens. Others that these were intended for WWII military use but were sold to the public because the war ended before the planned production batches were ready.
Some were coated, some not. This one is coated. The glass is clear and it has a beautiful 12 bladed aperture. It is a strange mix of aluminium, painted aluminium, painted brass and chromed brass.

I will try it out with some HP5 and see how it performs.

Leica IIf (RD) with TRINOL/"Stewartry" 105mm f/3.5 and VIDOM universal finder

• Like 7
Niels

After being delayed by the holidays, illness, bad weather, and a mission trip, I finally finished the roll in my Retina Type 010 only to discover that the bellows had separated from the back of the film plane on one side ruining the entire 36-exposure roll.  Oh well.

I glued the bellows back in place with some black adhesive sealant and will try again.

RetinaType010USAEktar.thumb.jpg.410e69fed6533cbacf57214d7ff44ef7.jpg

• Like 10

I’ve been doing some soul searching and needed an answer. Digital is a bottomless pit for me.  I am never satisfied with what I have. Film gives me more pleasure by far so I decided to concentrate on 35mm film. One problem is a lot of my old cameras have issues but today I pulled the trigger on an excellent condition Nikon F3 from a reputable used dealer.  I plan on making it my main camera using just one or two lenses.  Pictures when I get it.

• Like 4

Just for the sake of doing something a little different, I'm about to use this cute little Minolta 24 Rapid, a small rangefinder camera designed to use the long-defunct Agfa Rapid cassettes. If you have a darkroom, some bulk film and a couple of the rare Rapid cassettes, it's quite possible to load film to use in the camera.

Minolta24Rapidcopy.jpg.c979482df54b845d767942bf50ae9d39.jpg

• Like 8