What camera(s) are you using this weekend?

The one on the left in the pic - Super Ikonta 531 - is loaded with HP5. First time out! On the hunt for some less-than-expensive 100 speed film for the 521. Same lens and shutter on both so you'd never be aware which took with image.

_ND35460.jpeg.dede57b99369a3b0070e85f88b00d35a.jpeg

• Like 8

Acquired this Sun wide zoom lens (24-40mm f/3.5) couple years ago and tried out on a digital camera (D800) with really nice results so decided to use it with film, the Ektachrome, see how its going to look like.

image.jpeg.73ea7aa1745134f26f0159894413d02c.jpeg

• Like 8
workonit

This weekend I will be trying out another camera that just returned from an overhaul: A Leica IIF Red Dial (1955) - "Red Dial" or RD is just a reference to the color of the flash sync dial numbers under the shutter dial and indicates it is the last IIF/IIIF model with minor improvements on the shutter and in flash capability.

I have mounted a modern Voigtländer Nokton 50mm f/1.5 Aspherical LTM on the camera.
A lens produced from 1999 and a few years forward. I bought in Japan around 2010.
The accessory finder is a Leitz SBOOI 5cm brightline finder that improves the framing vastly over the build-in finder.

I didn't quite finish the film in my Leica IA last weekend so I brought that along as well.

I did a few side by side photos to see the differences between the two 50mm lenses manufactured almost a century apart.

Leica IIf w. Voigtländer Nokton 50mm f/1.5

Edited by Niels - NHSN
  • Like 10
Niels

Finally got round to finishing the roll in the Contax I on Saturday.

Loaded up the next one for this week/weekend.

IMG_20240304_092504_2.jpg.ef506a531085e4ab8245c2d498604222.jpg

Chuck Foreman graciously sent me this Graflex Century 35 / Kowa Kallo last month.  It was in dire need of some TLC to bring back to life.
Let's see what this thing can do.

• Like 9

The roll through the Century 35 was a lesson in futility. It appears the focus is WAY off, not just calibrated poorly, but something is seriously misaligned in the lens tube. 😞

Haven't loaded anything else for this week yet. I did pick up another Contax II with 50mm f/1.5 Sonnar over the weekend, so after servicing that I might feed that another roll of film.

What I am not shooting with is a Minolta XD11 and 50 1.4 sitting on a shelf at the local antique mall. Fully functional and a bit dirty but the glass looked good. The price @ $139 usd was fair but not exceptional determined by a quick Ebay scan. I don’t need another camera but damn it’s hard to pass one by. 

• Like 4

On 3/14/2024 at 9:17 AM, mjferron said:

What I am not shooting with is a Minolta XD11 and 50 1.4 sitting on a shelf at the local antique mall. Fully functional and a bit dirty but the glass looked good. The price @ $139 usd was fair but not exceptional determined by a quick Ebay scan. I don’t need another camera but damn it’s hard to pass one by. 

Go ahead and rescue another one 

• Like 1

I'm expecting a few cute half-frame cameras (Fujica Half, Olympus Pen EE-S, Minolta Repo) to arrive, and then do a mini group test with my two existing ones (Ricoh Auto Half, Canon Dial 35). Bulk loaded a few short rolls of Ilford Pan F+ 50 for the occasion.

• Like 1

I ended up buying the Pen FT I borrowed a few weeks back. The price was good and the camera nice.
I  have tentatively decided that half frame will be my format of choice for color film. 

Shooting color film is just getting too costly otherwise.

I prefer BW when shooting film but it is nice to have room for a small camera with color in the bag.
I ran half a roll of Fuji C200 through this one over the weekend.

IMG_9732.thumb.jpeg.a8c15ec167ab68da0cf1e3b8c77bc09f.jpeg

• Like 11
Niels

My Rolleicord V. According to the serial # it was manufactured in late 1954-early 55 so like me it will be 70 when the new year rolls in. Except for the slight bend on the finder edge it is in superb condition considering the age.  I have it loaded with Arista EDU 100.

image.jpeg.3305b6d523cbf6e4ee7faeedc12bebc0.jpeg

Edited by mjferron
  • Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

While I've owned a Nikon F-801 for several years, I couldn't resist temptation when I was offered this very original F-801s at a very reasonable price. I shall take it out with the rather good Nikon 28-85mm lens and a load of Arista EDU Ultra 100 to see how it performs. The only really significant upgrade from the F-801 is the addition of a spot metering option.

NikonF-801Scopy.jpg.bb73a9b6042f4cee3154aac4c7ca6d87.jpg

• Like 6

Rain is forecast for this weekend but the next camera I plan to use is this Zeiss-Ikon Nettar model  518/16 6x6 folder with coated 75mm f4.5 Novar and 5-speed "Velio" shutter.  It's also known as the "Signal Nettar" because of the red flag that pops up in the viewfinder to remind you to wind the film (as part of the double exposure prevention mechanism) after each exposure.

Nettar_518-16_small.jpg.5a045e193b7a20b7ae5612fbfb41ccf9.jpg

• Like 8

I don't often use 28mm focal length, but it is important to exercise them once in a while. On the left is Nikon F3HP with Nikkor 28/2 Ai'd, while the right is the diminutive Pentax ME Super with petite 28/2.8. The Pentax combo will be really sweet for some street photography.

28mm SLR Large.jpeg

Edited by bruce_z._li2
typo
  • Like 6

Bees are beginning to wake up. I took out the Nikon F80 (N80) over the week-end loaded with Fuji Superia X-tra 400.

The camera offers very good ergonomics, nice size, light but not too light, all the functions you need, and possibility for customisations, like compositional lines on the focusing screen and more. 
It has fairly quick AF, build in flash, quiet film advance and shutter. 

All in all a very well designed and competent photographic tool ...... except it isn't very charming for some reason.
I feel almost bad for not loving it, as I am sure a lot of effort and consideration successfully have gone into designing this device.  

The lens (Nikkor AF 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G) is very good too.
Yes it is plasticky and light and has only 6 elements, but very sharp and versatile due to a clever aspherical design.
You'll have to forgive the barrel distortion at the wide end, which is easy when you look at the price tag; which was almost nothing back in the day and these days owners can't hardly give them away for free.

Nikon F80 and Nikkor AF 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G

• Like 5
Niels

@Niels - NHSN Hi Niels, what a coincidence. I just picked up a N80 (F80) for the price of a good burger. It was in its original box with manuals, but the rubber is a bit sticky. Just cleaned that up with 91% alcohol and microfiber cloth. Initially the camera has a bit of hesitation in shutter and mirror, probably been sitting idle for too long. But after 50 shutter release or so, it is now back to good service!

I was also planning to find a cheap and good lens like the 28-80 G you have there. For now, it is comically light with a "pro" lens like 18-35/2.8.

• Like 2

The Sabrina 4x5 custom camera with Super Angulon 65/8 near Pacifica, California. It seems the lens does not cover the entire 4x5 frame, or it could be the filter vignette. With the Grafmatic film holder, I can shoot fast like Wee Gee.

Sabrina in Pacifica.jpeg

• Like 7

After finally filling up the roll in the Rolleiflex yesterday, it's time to give the Century 35 that Chuck sent me another try.
This time with a calibrated focus matching rangefinder.
Already snapped some Easter Egg Hunt photos with it.

Century3503.jpg.9052e403cb5d91b40e01037d28218ebf.jpg

• Like 8

12 hours ago, bruce_z._li2 said:

I just picked up a N80 (F80) for the price of a good burger.

...but the rubber is a bit sticky. Just cleaned that up with 91% alcohol and microfiber cloth.

Yes, they are cheap. I remember I was lusting for a F80 when they were new 20+ years ago, but couldn't really find room in my hobby budget.

These days the F80 cost nothing, probably partly due to the gross stickiness they have developed by now, which is, as you note, easily removed with some alcohol and a little persistence.

Niels

I'm stuck inside due to some inclement weather, and cleaning some of the old cameras. These Yashica Electro 35 GSNs are such pretty cameras and they have the iconic 45mm Color-Yashinon DX f1.7 lens, and I'm tempted to take one out this weekend, if the weather clears.

YashicaElectro35GSN2.jpg.049a1d0ac5d5b3e7f9e9f1172f1498c5.jpg

• Like 5

Also have a Leica IIIc and a Contax II in the bag for the weekend and a couple of rolls of Fomapan 100.
And an Anniverary Speed Graphic with some sheets of Ilford HP5+.

Bringing along an Eyemo 71-Q as well, but I'm too poor to feed it any film.

Edited by Rick_van_Nooij