Canon or Nikon, which one?

<p>Hi I hope you good people can help me?<br /><br />I've got a Pentax K30 and I'm looking to upgrade my equipment, the reason being is that I'm finding it hard to find accessorie's for the Pentax and I have been looking further afield.<br /><br />I've been looking at the Canon EOS 750D, and the Nikon D5300. I'm a bit confused about which is the better one, I do landscapes and documenting and I don't know which one to choose. can you help me decide please? <br /><br />Both come with 18-55m lenses.<br>

Many thanks.</p>

The Canon has 2 control dials, which I view as essential for any enthusiast oriented camera. I would expect

the Nikon's sensor to outperform the Canon sensor, especially with regard to dynamic range. Like Les said

above, choose "the one you like".

<p>Alas, you give no details which could be used to help you. What Pentax accessories can't you find? You say you do documenting and landscapes, great, but neither camera you mention is superior to the other in that regard. There's simply not enough in your query to let us help you.</p>

<p>Although I'm sure folks will try... </p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>I think Les already gave a very good answer. At the entry level, both Canon and Nikon have a lot of good models that can meet your needs. Which one to choose mainly depends on which one you like better after holding one and perhaps using it a bit. To that end I highly recommend going to a store and try those cameras out and then make up your mind. To a degree you can't go wrong with either Canon or Nikon. Unfortunately, Pentax's market share is far smaller and is no longer a mainstream brand.</p>

<p>Another factor to consider is whether you have family members or close friends that use a particular brand. If you can get help or even borrow a flash or lens from them, it can be beneficial. Of course, the flip side is that they may also borrow some lenses from you. Please make sure that you are ok with that possibility.</p>

<p>Go to a shop and get your hands physically on both..how do they feel in your hands, are the dials and menus reasonably convenient and easy to navigate. FWIW, either could do the job equally well.</p>

<p>I just looked at the specs (side by side) and overall both cameras seem nearly identical....so as Les indicated. I found that the D5300 had some things that the 750D didn't: 20 sec selftimer, GPS, the possibility to do time lapse in the camera, and 39AF points vs 19 in 750D. The D5300 has slightly larger sensor (little over 1mm), but I get the feeling that I'm slicing atoms :>). Anyway, these things may or not matter in choosing. </p>

<p>If you intend to use certain lenses or have Nikon/Canon lenses, then that may have some weight to it. Other than that (as suggested) check which one feels better in operating it.<br>

</p>

<p>When Dean Wormer in <em>Animal House (1978)</em>, asks the frat boy "What's the worst fraternity on campus?"<br /> Greggie answers "Well that would be hard to say, sir. They're each outstanding in their own way."<br /> So it is with cameras. Part of the process is an ethological concept known as "imprinting" in which the first one you learn becomes more "natural" than others. Most comments about "ease of use" are strongly conditioned by which camera the speaker learned first.<br /> There are even Exakta users who find it the most rational of designs (isn't it?).<br /> Choose one either by what people around you use, or just dive in. Once you get used to it, it will work just swell.<br /> In short, Les was right to start with.</p>

<p>If you're 'passing on' your K30, can I have it, please ? Are you looking at new or pre-owned Canon/Nikon gear ? I gather you are in the UK - have you tried London Camera Exchange ? (No connection except as satisfied customer of many years standing).</p>

<p>Tony</p>

<p>One of my coworkers wanted to know what sports oriented DSLR to get her son when he turned 18. She ended up getting him the Canon 7D Mk2 because all his friends had Canon telephotos which they willingly lend him He never did buy a lens. Nice friends. </p>

<p>I have 2 Canons myself 1D3 and 6D, but recently I picked up Fuji EX1 in Best Buy for 330 CAD and 18-55/2.8-4 for 550 CAD in Henrys to complement it, when I want go light. I want to tell you guys, Fuji impressed me again, if I would be on market for crop sensor camera, I would take Fuji.<br>

They made full line of quality lenses to complement their line.</p>

<p>I'm sitting here wondering just how marginal Pentax really is, given that that company now has a full-frame camera to go along with its crop sensor cameras and its medium format digital cameras.</p>

<p>There is, of course, the question of lenses where Pentax is concerned. . . .</p>

<p>Pentax is now owned by Ricoh, is it not? It's future might be brighter than its past, for all I know. I don't see Pentax as becoming supreme during my lifetime, but a lot of people are doing good work with it.</p>

<p>I have shot Canon and Nikon and cannot say that one is much better than the other. I do think that Canon's crop sensor cameras are a notch below Nikon's--and I have shot both. I am quite pleased with Nikon full-frame, but I was happy with Canon full-frame as well. If I had money to burn, I would buy the 6D today and a couple of good zooms--but I would not try to replace my FF Nikons. Both brands are so good that it probably does not matter.</p>

<p>I would not, however, spend another dime on Canon crop sensor cameras, although they are quite competent. I know that that flies in the face of the conventional wisdom, given the 7D II and its obvious strengths--but that is a whole 'nother ballgame for most shooters of crop sensor cameras, given the price. In general, the Nikon crop sensor cameras give better results in low light. To me that is an objective fact.</p>

<p>Glass? You get what you pay for, by and large, with both brands.</p>

<p>All the above is anecdotal, though. I have no hard data, but what I see on my own test shots makes me lean a bit toward Nikon, especially for low-light photography.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p>I switched from film Nikon to digital Canon. Have since shot Nikon digital too. On the whole, I do now prefer the Canons, but see my comment above on "imprinting"<br>

I'm thinking Landrum is also showing evidence of this. In any case, many of us feel that the XXD 'crop' cameras are as good as anything Nikon makes, and probably the XXXD='Rebels' as well.<br>

To compare you need to compare contemporary cameras of the same generations. Otherwise, it's like trying to sample a moving stream.</p>

<p>I don't normally use the 20 second timer, usually the 2 second, Castle cameras have offered me a 18-250 lens for £389.00 (<em>with £2.00 part exchange for my Pentax</em>). London Camera Exchange have only offered me £150 part exchange for my Pentax, with only the 18-55 lens attached.<br>

The only difference is that on the cashback London camera exchange are willing to help me fill out the complicated cashjback form,, as staff at Castle cameras can be a bit abrupt and won't help me with the form.<br>

(<em>Which do you thik is the better deal</em>?)<br>

I found this out while trying to do cashback with my Panasonic compact camera. because I hadn't scanned the barcode clearly, they wouldn't give me my £20 cashback and sent the letter reminding me past the deadline. So I'm £20 out of pocket which I'm not very happy about.</p>

<p align="LEFT">Hi Tony. Castle Cameras have offered me £200. It includes a 18-55m, 55-200m and a 18-250m lens. Also charger, two batteries and a daylight filter which is on the front of my 18-250 lens </p>

<p align="LEFT">(<em>but I'll have to check the size of new camera first before parting with the filters</em>)</p>

<p align="LEFT"> How much were you thinking? I'm looking at new kit as there are a lot of '<em>gray</em>' copies out there and I would like to know I'm getting something with a genuine warranty. I've tried both London Camera and castle cameras, even gone to Harrison’s in Weymouth.</p>

<p>I own Nikon and Canon. Why not add Sony into the mix and create a new three way argument?<br>

I think these sort of questions should not be asked as its a personal choice. To me Nikon and Canon are exactly equal and it often depends on how you started out. Preference also comes from familiarity. </p>

<p> Just use your cell phone. My friend has a jumbo Nikon that he just bought for thousands but the photos look just like cell phone pics anyway. He has the jumbo Nikon, Ricoh GR crop sensor, Leica M9 and an iphone. If he made prints from all the camera's and tossed them out on the table they would all look exactly the same. So it goes with Canon vs Nikon digi snappers. Just pick the one that appeals to you when you are holding it. </p>

<p >Had this offer quote from Camera World. Are they any good and how would I get the kit to them?<br /></p>

<p > </p>

<p id="yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1469442590501_39060" >Penatx K30 + 18-55mm £120.00</p>

<p id="yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1469442590501_39058" >Pentax 18-270mm (18-250mm ??) £140.00</p>

<p id="yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1469442590501_39064" >Pentax 50-200mm AF £40.00</p>