Monday in Nature Weekly Photo Jan 26, 2015

Laura Weishaupt

<blockquote>

<p><strong>Basic Guidelines</strong>: Nature based subject matter. Please, declare captive subjects. Keep your image at/under 700 pixels on the long axis for in-line viewing and try to keep file size under 300kb. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site at Flicker, Photobucket, your own site, etc. Feel free to link your image to a larger version.<br>

<strong><em>In the strictest sense, nature photography should not include hand of man elements. Please refrain from images with obvious buildings or large manmade structures like roads. A bird on the fence post or bug on your finger is fine. Try to minimize man made features, keep the focus on nature, and let common sense be your guide. Let's post one image per week. </em></strong><em>More details please <a href="/nature-photography-forum/00cgtY">check here</a>.</em><br>

<em> </em><br>

<em> </em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Good Morning,<br>

Let's go back in time, back to 1770. It's not hard picture a botanist and his assistant exploring the shores of a bay, and their wonderment at seeing so many plants unknown to them. But, those same plants were well known to the indigenous people, as well as the animals and the nature of this place. The botanist was Joseph Banks and the place came to be known as Botany Bay. On this day in 1788 a colony was established not far from Botany Bay. The rest may be history, but today is Australia Day.</p>

<p>Could Banks or Capt. James Cook have imagined the unique nature on the continent beyond? They didn't have the benefit of photographs. While they were explorers, they would not know the likes of Frank Hurley or see his magnificent images. They certainly didn't have a drone to be punched out of service by a kangaroo. We're lucky to have all of these as well as the ability to visit and see everything under the Southern Cross. We're also fortunate to have folks here in the nature forum who have either visited or live in "Oz".</p>

<p>Have a great day, whether it's in Australia, or here at Monday in Nature.</p><div>00d5c6-554391784.jpg.599859c03a77c51df8844022b8a4d17a.jpg</div>

<p>Three cheers for Australia! James Cook is a hero of mine and I would post a shot from the Whitby area where he came from except they all show the hand of man somewhere. <br>

So instead here is a shot of a goldcrest, the smallest native British bird, making a living in the cold of January by picking bugs off the underside of holly leaves.</p><div>00d5cH-554392184.jpg.28b81f276f85297527e5bc716af7afea.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks Laura for the Australia Day intro, we certainly have some unique nature here in Oz. I guess we are all explorers in some way, always on the look out for interesting and beautiful nature to capture photographically. This weeks image are amazing, and Shun, your penguin images are simply stunning, thank you so much for sharing them. I found this caterpillar while exploring the garden; I believe it is a Magpie Moth caterpillar who feeds exclusively on a particular weed.</p><div>00d5hK-554410184.jpg.8e6b0a60502b6b5d93c5ee8b862a9d64.jpg</div>