Only one.

gus_gus1

<p>M3 with Zeiss ZM 50mm Sonnar.</p>

<p>M3: Big, beautiful finder that never flares, and has the highest linear rangefinder accuracy.</p>

<p>ZM 50 1.5 Sonnar: Gorgeous rendering from this lens. I have had other 50mm, including the Summicron 50 collapsible, latest version Summicron 50 (with pull out hood), Canon 1.4, Nikkor HC f/2. However, the rendition from the Zeiss Sonnar is just the best for people pictures with great background bokeh. It has good contrast wide open, which is often lacking from some of the older lenses.</p>

<p>Simplicity and compactness count for me. The M4-2 with 35mm Summicron type IV and a Gossen Luna Pro digital meter (or sometimes the Minolta spotmeter F). My Summicron ASPH is perhaps a better lens but I liked the rendition of the type IV, especially for B&W. </p>

<p>Come on guys - he said NO DIGITAL! I'd choose an M4 with a 35/2.8 Summaron - actually a combo I had for many years. However, if you could step back to the pre-M Barnack Leicas, I'd choose a IIF with a 50/3.5 red scale Elmar.</p>

<p>This is a hard one. But I'd go for the M7 and any 50mm lens which has virtually no distortion and no focus shift. Absolute sharpness would not be a priority and I'm not neurotic about aperture. f/2.8 would be fine, so it could be the Summarit or the Elmar.</p>

<p>And if I had to choose one film... gosh, that would be hard. Maybe Fuji 400. Not as advanced as Portra but it looks better, IMHO. And you can push it one or two stops without worrying too much.</p>

<p>In a sane moment: "none!"<br>

I have a Retina II that burns the odd frame of film with a fixed 50mm f2 lens sufficiently well for the 4x5" drugstore prints I'd be getting.<br>

Why bother with keeping the DR 'cron on my M4-P, when it will mainly remind me of the other lenses that aren't in my pockets anymore?</p>

<p>Given what I know now, I'd go with this combo (M6 + 35mm 'lux). 35mm Summilux is quite fast and versatile lens. M6 bodies are cheaper than MP and M-A and are just about the same except for some minor differences. <br>

<a title="Queen Mother by Srebreni Halid, on Flickr" href=" Queen Mother src="https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2835/11790768014_955f1b8a8c.jpg" alt="Queen Mother" width="500" height="333" /></a></p>

<p>What do you mean by "if"?<br>

What do you mean by "afford"?<br>

I thought I could never afford (read 'justify the price') of a Leica M. The body is not so expensive but the glass, $$$$. Then an neighbor in the same apartment building sold me two CV lenses, a 35mm f2.5 PII and a 21mm f4 in LTM for about .65 of their then current retail, and they were pristine. Well, what was I to do? I had to have a body. So, about four months later I picked up a M4-2 at a camera show. </p>

<p>So to answer the question; Get a body and buy two "lesser" lenses. </p>