Which lens is the best fit for a Beseler 23cii enlarger?

<p>I'm in the process of setting up a home darkroom and my photography teacher gave me one of his old enlargers that he had in storage, the only problem is that I need to find a lens for it. It's a Beseler 23cii and I shoot with 35mm and medium format film, any suggestions?</p>

<p>A 50mm is usually standard for 35mm, while a 75-100mm for 120; depending a bit on whether you're printing from 6x4.5, 6x6, or 6x7.<br>

I believe a 75mm could work for both as long as you don't want to enlarge beyond 8x10 (or crop as freely) with the 35mm. </p>

<p>I haven't used the Beseler but most enlarger lenses that I have have the same 39mm-mount or have adapters to fit those to other mounts.</p>

<p>Both high-quality 50mm and 75-80mm lenses (e.g., Nikkor) are available on eBay and elsewhere, often at incredibly low prices, so you probably don't need to compromise on a common lens.</p>

<p>Places like <a href="http://www.freestylephoto.biz/121123-Beseler-23C-Lens-Kit-Includes-Arista-75mm-Enlarging-Lens-Delta-Bes">Freestyle</a> sell kits with lens and film holder, but they are new and much more pricey.<br /> By the way, these enlarger lenses are also superb copy lenses for close-up work with a bellows on a modern camera.</p>

<p>As Maury said above, medium format comes in various sizes. I use 35mm and 6x6 and have found that a good quality wide angle 60mm works for both formats (Rodagon WA 60mm/f4). </p>

<p>However, the price of good second hand enlarging lenses is rather low due to large supply and low demand, so it might be cheaper (and possibly better) to get a 50mm/f2.8 and whatever focal length is recommended for your medium format (80mm, 90mm even 105mm if you do 6x9). You will want a lens board for each lens. Beseler lens boards are very simple. If the boards are unthreaded you will want a threaded ring to retain the lens. I found that one lens had such a short thread on it that I needed a lens board that was thinned down around the hole so the ring could grip the lens. I don't know if that's a common issue.</p>

<p>And you need some sort of negative holder for each format. Check with your teacher that you have the right sizes. </p>

<p>The Beseler 23s are nice enlargers... but the lens stage alignment system is so damn (useless, in practice).</p>

<p>If yours came with the "normal" lens board (and bellows), you`d be better looking for the adjustable type, third party unthreaded ones. This lens boards will let you to properly adjust the lens stage; they have two plates, connected by three adjustable screws. If you like sharpness, enlarger alignment is a must, there is no other route.</p>

<p>There is a small drawback; if you use this boards, the already bit long bellows extension will get a bit longer, so a 50mm lens could be near the bellows compression limit for making small prints. If you don`t plan to enlarge too big, my advice is to start with a 75-80mm lens for full format.<br /> In the other side, a 105mm lens will let you to print the largest format size, that is 6x9. <br /> Obviously the "perfect" choice is to use 50, 80 and 105mm lenses, but for a comfortable work with the 50, IMO the lens stage should be modified.</p>

<p>I`d simply start with the lens that fit the largest format you were using; 105mm for 6x8/6x9 or 80mm for 6x4.5/6x6... with either of them you can start making 35mm format prints.</p>

<p>For 35mm film, I use a 50mm f/2.8 EL-Nikkor; there is a considerable difference between the f/2.8 and the lower grade f/4 EL-Nikkor 50mm. For 6x6 film, I use an 80mm Schneider (I would have preferred the EL-Nikkor). Both lenses work very well on my Beseler 23CII.</p>

<p>Last I looked, I thought that used enlarging lenses were overpriced, at least compared to enlargers (with lenses) where the price is approaching zero.<br>

OK, that was last year. Looks like the price of lenses is approaching zero, too. There was a 50mm EL Nikkor that sold for $0.99 (plus shipping). <br>

I thought I remembered them in the $20 to $30 range. <br>

Otherwise, go to craigslist and find someone giving away an enlarger, with lens and all.</p>

-- glen