Aargh! Can't I fly with my M3?

<p>I found that it was best to carry film cameras without film in them so you could open them up, and show it wasn't something improvised, disguised as a camera. Of course, that depends on the security people <em>knowing</em> what a film camera is.</p>

<p>Be prepared, especially if you irritate the guard, to open every can of film, too.</p>

<p>Not sure how the British rule will be enacted, but a few decades ago upon arrival in Helsinki I had to open every film container, point my Leica at my foot and release the shutter. Best to do without any complaints.</p>

<p>Christopher Junker -- you can't turn on/off any mechanical watch! (Well, except one of the complications on the watch may be able to be turned on or off, like an alarm or chronograph.) The mainspring provides power ... which was my point.</p>

<p>Same with any mechanical camera which is why the question is moot: we're talking about a different topic (switching on/off a mechanical device vs. switching on/off an electronic device, which is what the quoted article is talking about). Do we have to "shut off" the spring which powers the shutter? OK ... let me trip the shutter. Oh wait, there's still tension on the spring so there is still stored energy in the mechanism. Oh TSA, what do I do now?</p>

<p>As for fogging of film, there is a plethora of posts regarding that topic elsewhere on PNet. Do a search and you will find unending amounts of information.</p>

<p>Stick a picture on the M3's film back, something bright and contrasty, and tell them that the LCD is on.</p>

<p>Years ago the security services found the Queen's beat up old M3 every ready case in her luggage and there was some concern until they identified it as a camera and belonging to and in use by her.</p>

<p>This is nothing about keeping people safe. They (whoever "they" are) have no idea what to do but they feel presure to "do something!" So they come up with this idiot plan so they can say, "See! Look how we are keeping you safe."</p>

<p>Now where did I put that old nitrocellulose film?</p>

<p>Fred -- Hacking was developed primarily for military use to coordinate the setting of (mechanical) watches to the second. Usually done by pulling the crown out and stopping the escapement.</p>

<p>I collect vintage watches and while almost all newer movements support hacking, most of my older ones don't. I have a wonderful little Longines from 1939 with a 10L movement which was their military-spec movement sold to a civilian market. That one hacks.</p>

<p>Although Queen Elizabeth's M3 may have been a bit beaten up, she was a long time M3 user. It wouldn't have been hard to identify her M3, it is serial #919,000 and has HRH and the royal crest engraved on the top plate. She upgraded over the years and the last I read was she was up to an M6.<br>

Until Kodak developed safety base film, nitrocellulose film was a estremely hazardous product to manufacture. The process begins with disolving pure cellulose in concentrated nitric acid which generates heat and the process can and has "run away" resulting in very rapid burning or explosions. Too bad as nitrocellulose base made possible absolutely clear emulsions. Early movies were kept in refrigerators and were projected from fireproof booths. The last use I heard of was nitrocellulose emulsion coated on thin plate glass for extended time telescope exposures.</p>

<p>All is well, follow this sequence:<br>

When requested to turn your M3 "on" do the following:<br>

1) Politely say "Yes, of course"<br>

2) Turn the rewind lever 90 degrees<br>

3) Hand the M3 to the security operative and instruct him to peer through the view finder. If he/she is really perceptive show him how to rotate the lens focus ring to move the rangefinder spot image.<br>

One can really have an enjoyable time in this way should your travel camera is a Rolleiflex. You turn a Rolleiflex "on" by opening the viewfinder hood - but you knew that.</p>

<p>The EVF on the Rolleiflex has very complex electronics which result in the image moving left when you move the camera right, proof that it is a functioning electronic device. The LCD was never included to keep it light and to stop you wasting the arbitrary buffer limit of 12 shots, a cute carry over from the days of film when there was a limit to how many photographs a photographer could take.</p>

<p>Richard G, you made me laugh! I shoot my Rolleiflex 2.8C daily and love its idiosyncrasies. It's as enjoyable to use as my M6, just in a very different way. The right to left thing put the zap on me for the first several rolls. Now I hardly notice it.</p>

<p>OP, if you are genuinely concerned that they will ask to open your M3 you can always take note of the frame number, roll the film back into the canister, display the empty camera, then load and shoot (with the cap on) to your frame number + 2 more. I switch out rolls mid roll all the time this way.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>US air security suggests not X-raying ISO 800 and up, so the inspectors should know about film.<br>

Usually they are happy to X-ray the cameras, but that was all before the recent changes for some international flights.<br>

I have asked, and usually not had a problem, asking for non-X-ray for slower films. (Especially if the Diafine ISO is 800 or more.)<br>

In the pre-digital days, I remember they always want to look through the viewfinder. That would detect a camera completely full of something else.</p>

-- glen