Moisture resistance of sealed film canisters

<p>I have a feeling my film is ok, but I just to be safe I want to ask this question to anyone who might know better than me. I keep a lot of film of different types stored in a mini fridge. I must have knocked the plug out and didn't realize for about a day, and the freezer portion at the top which had quite a bit of frost growth, thawed out and wet some of the boxes. Naturally all the films are in their sealed canisters inside the boxes. I figure the canisters are air-tight enough to prevent any moisture intrusion. Think they should be safe? Any insight appreciated, thanks.</p>

<p>With that said... clearly this mini fridge of mine is a pretty high moisture environment, considering the amount of frost that builds up on the freezer box. I'm under the belief that film likes to be stored in a dry environment. But as long as I want to keep it cold in the fridge, it's going to be in a relatively high humidity. Unless I put in some sort of serious desiccant. But as long as they are in their canisters, is the humidity level of the storage not such a big deal?</p>

<p>For new, unopened film, the old paper-foil and newer mylar-foil packaging should be good enough to withstand most ambient humidity and fridge/freezer moisture.</p>

<p>And if you don't already have one, do consider a frost-free type fridge/freezer. These use recirculating air to keep the box dry. No risk of frost, very low moisture, likely to be much safer for long term storage of film, particularly opened rolls of medium format film. The only serious problem I've experienced with film occurred when opened/exposed rolls of medium format film were stored in a non-frost-free freezer. Some moisture accumulated between the film and paper backing, leaving those telltale spots visible in the black paper backing. So far I haven't experienced that problem with frost-free fridge/freezer boxes.</p>

<p>I trust the plastic cans best unopened. I always wonder if reasealing them is as good, but should be fine.<br>

I have had powder developer in sealed packages oxidize. Seems strange to me.<br>

A ziplock bag would keep dripping water off the box and contents.</p>

-- glen

<p>I store type 135 film in its plastic canister with a little pack of silicagel in the canister. You can find these in boxes electronics or shoes came in.<br>

I also found in some shoeboxes a strip of some material that absorbs humidity. These are very thin and fit perfectly between film canister and the plastic canister. The ones I saw are green and come from this company, maybe others also produce it. <br>

http://www.micropakltd.com/products.php<br>

Here is what their FAQ says: </p>

<ol >

<li ><a >How are Micro-Pak<sup>®</sup> Stickers different from silica gel?</a>

Silica gel is derived from sand and ONLY absorbs moisture. If not enough is used then there is still moisture present and if the sachets are not kept perfectly dry before use they will be ineffective when packed with the products. There is also a potential health risk if the silica gel is ingested by workers or consumers.

<p>Beware of silica sachets that also contain toxic substances!</p>

Micro-Pak<sup>®</sup> Stickers will absorb moisture and help keep the item mold free. Micro-Pak<sup>®</sup> Stickers are delivered in foil sealed pouches and will not be exposed to the air until they are used.

</li>

</ol>

<p>Two other suggestions:<br>

If so inclined, you can search for the old 1950's-1970's aluminum KODAK film canisters. They actually have rubber gasket seals in the lid. Also you can label them using a Sharpie or Archival pen. You can often find these neat old collectables on eBay but they can be expensive. (I happened to have a collection from the 1960's.)<br>

My preferred method is using Mason jars, aka Food Preserve jars. Get them in various pint and quart sizes at the grocery store. They will nicely store spare small batteries you may stock for older film cameras. They also accept 35mm film in canisters or boxes. A pint size jar will store two boxes, or if arranged carefully, 5 non-boxed canisters. I do not use other film so I cannot comment on how many of what other sizes would fit. Quart size jars will hold a lot more, of course, but I do not use them. The pint sizes fit nicely and unobtrusively into the back of our "deli" drawer. The lids of the jars can be labeled with a Sharpie. I number the jars and keep 3 X 5 cards with a contents list.<br>

The Mason jars provide a known moisture-proof seal, so you have no worries about the sealing of the plastic film canisters you store in them.</p>

"My film died of exposure."

<p>If the film canisters were unopened, you should be okay. My wife uses old canisters to hold water to soak her reeds (oboe), and they don't leak unless crushed. The film is probably packaged under industrial "comfort" conditions - 50% RH at 70 deg F. There's so little absolute moisture in the enclosed air, you won't get condensation inside the canister.</p>

<p>On thawing, you must allow the film to reach room temperature before opening the foil or container. Otherwise you can get condensation on the film which can be difficult to remove.</p>

<p> </p>