What is the most beautiful camera ?

<p>Gotta add those Art Deco influenced Rolleiflex TLRs. Lots of companies made twin lens boxes but Rollei made 'em with style.</p>

<p>And those pretty little Gowland Pocket View anodized aluminum frame 4x5 minimalist cameras. Had an opportunity to buy one very affordably around 15 years ago, could kick myself for passing up the opportunity.</p>

<p>But the pinhole camera opens up the field to some incredible designs ranging from simple and elegant to humorous steampunk to grotesque. Artist Wayne Martin Belger's site appears to be offline but it's worth Googling around for his "<a href="https://www.google.com/search?q=http://boyofblue.com/+wayne+martin+belger&safe=off&rlz=1C2LENN_enUS490US562&biw=1033&bih=605&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=2MHLU4PoBuiL8gHC7IGAAw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg">boyofblue.com</a>" era pinhole sculptures and concoctions.</p>

<p>"<em>An OM-1 with Zuiko 50mm/1.8 and the optional flash shoe removed was easily my prettiest camera</em>"</p>

<p>Pretty yes, but not enough to make your mouth water like this camera:<br>

<a href="http://www.tmfilmpro.com/alleseiten/reviews/photography/olympusom3/olympusom3.html">http://www.tmfilmpro.com/alleseiten/reviews/photography/olympusom3/olympusom3.html</a> </p>

<p>When I'm looking at a scene that begs to be recorded, ANY CAMERA that will do the job that is in my hands, around my neck or within easy reach.</p>

<p>All the rest is nonsense.</p>

<p>I like Nikon and shoot Nikon, because I've got over 40 years experience using their 'system' and about ten years using their digital menus, which is a substantial amount of muscle and brain memory, but when it comes to aesthetics, I just don't care -- I think any camera that will adequately record the scene that I am faced with and is in my hands (or within reach) is a beauty. It helps if the thing is workable -- has good ergonomics of course.</p>

<p>All the rest is useless to me. I hope one fits my hand better, one weighs the right amount, another doesn't have a detracting color, and a choice -- one may say 'professional' when I want to be thought of as 'skillful' but another may say 'I'm just fooling around' when I don't want to be thought of as being too intrusive or 'official' in my photographing -- sometimes you want it different ways for different situations.</p>

<p>Just give me any old camera that will do the job (and the time and 'muscle memory' of mastery), and I care very little how it looks.</p>

<p>If you want a 'fashion accessory' that's one thing, or a winner in a design competition, that's another, but I just want something that works NOW when I need it.</p>

<p>For me, the camera that gets the job done NOW is the most beautiful camera in the world.</p>

<p>john</p>

<p>John (Crosley)</p>

<p>Although I largely agree with John above, I find adorning my self with a certain "look" in certain deep pocketed circles is *awesome* marketing. My vote is my 1956 M3 with a 2012 50mm 1.4 aspheric, stunning camera that allows for stunning photos, it is especially engaging for people work...there is nothing "stealth" about it though..:-)</p><div>00cikI-549938084.jpg.b1bd244f64227082ab74286a41588774.jpg</div>

<p>For me, there are many, although their beauty does not necessarily translate to the most functional cameras, or the cameras with highesrt value per price.</p>

<p>Plaubel Makina 670, Mamiya 6 (newer model), Canham large format cameras (metal versions), Leica M4-2, O series Leica, Nikon S3 rangefinder, Nikon F3, original Olympus O series, Original coffee can Rolleiflex, Sinar Handy, Voigtlander Vito B, Zeiss-Ikon Contaflex 1, Box Brownie, Sony Nex 7, Fuji X-Pro 1, wooden pinhole cameras, Alpa reflex 9D, Alpa SWA rosewood, Pentax K-100, Pentax 645 D.</p>

<p>I guess the best Q/P is the last mentioned 40 MP digital MF camera, with the Pentax K-100 having a very high Q/P for a film 35mm camera, although the attractive Nikon F3 or Leica M4-2 (something about the apparent mechanical finesse that comes through, although other more expensive models had the edge there) are of higher quality in the film cameras. The Makina 670, Canham and Alpas are very svelte cameras, even used they are mainly out of my price range. A black body O series Leica or reissued Nikon S3 (2000) are attractive cameras.</p>

<p>Of course, the most beautiful camera is that we are using and producing good images with. No competition there.</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>A camera might be a tool, but it is no hammer. Just like a watch is more than something to tell the time and a car is more than something to get you from A to B. I think it's a shame if someone can't see any beauty in a well-designed fine optical/mechanical instrument.</p>

<p>This might seem strange to some but maybe familiar to others - as a hobbyist, one of the characteristics I look for in a camera is that it inspires me to use it!</p>

<p>Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but of the current crop of digital cameras, the Fujifilm X100 and Olympus OM-D cameras are the most beautiful in my opinion. I also quite like the Leica M7 with silver top.</p>

<p>But the most beautiful of all is a Rolleiflex TLR:<br>

<a href=" Rolleiflex 3.5F

Rolleiflex 3.5F

<p>Conversely, I think these are ugly: Sony's new α7, the Mamiya 6 and 7, Canon's G-series PowerShot cameras and there were some pretty awful autofocus 35mm SLRs from the mid-80s to the mid-90s.</p>