Two 120 rolls in Jobo 1520 - developer question

<p>Hello all</p>

<p>I tried to research this on google but have not found any reasonable answer. My simple problem this time is this:</p>

<p>I'd like to develop 2 rolls of 120 film in a Jobo 1520 at once. The reel allows to spool 2 films on it so that's not a problem. However I am at my wits end with developer concentration and/or development time. I am using Adonal and ID-11 (but that is not of importance I think).</p>

<p>Example: I am using 1+50 Adonal solution for one film. If I use 2 films on one reel, do I increase the development time, or do I just add more Adonal (1+25) and keep the development time of 1+50 ?</p>

<p>You see I am lost here :-) Ruining one film for an experiment is fine, but this will potentialy ruin 2 films for each try which is getting expensive.</p>

<p>(As such I am fine with the current proces, I just want to spend less time developing so I'd like to utilize the full tank capacity)</p>

<p>Thanks for any suggestions.</p>

<p>Two rolls or a hundred -- the developing time is the same as one roll. All you need do is make sure the volumes of fluid are sufficient to cover the rolls. After the rolls are processed, then you add a developer replenisher. This is a special formulation that restores the working developer. It is added to the working developer based on the areas of film processed. If used, the replenisher maintains the strength of the working solution indefinitely If you have no replenisher, then you extend the time of the next batch to compensate for the now weakened working solution. </p>

<p>Alan is correct that the developing time is the same as long as you have sufficient volume of liquid to cover the film. Same as in a vertical plastic or stainless steel tank. I haven't used the Jobo but in a regular tank it usually takes 16 ounces for one roll of 120, 32 ounces for two, etc.<br /><br />As for replenishing used developer, I don't. All of my developer goes down the drain and fresh developer is used for each batch. Much simpler that way. And I develop so little film now that I'm more interested in using up a gallon before it goes bad than trying to stretch it out.</p>

<p>i may stray a bit but this may hjelp ytou understand.<br>

Kodak';s "standard" was 80 sw inches of film. one 8 x 210 4 4 x 5 one 120 or a 35 x 36 exposure ( correct me if I disremeber)<br>

I always developed 2-36 exp e-4 ekatachome duping films ( bulk loaded) in a pint -16 ox and then 2 more with extended times.<br>

fr tank holding 16 oz with a dial reel.<br>

a modern metal tank like a nikkor would be very similar.<br>

the jobo as I think is a horizontal roller assembly?</p>

<p>if so or not a certain amount of developing agent ( chemicals are required.</p>

<p>the film must be adequately covered with liquid or there wiull be erratic developent at the top with a vertical tank. <br>

the amouint of developer is the critical num,ber or the developer will be weakened and the film will appear to be inderexposed.<br>

In ancuient times a DEVELOPER SUCH AS PANATHERMIC 77 WAS USED<br>

and a bug tank was used full of a concentrated solution. possibly more then "full stren grh" by today;'s standards,.<br>

today a much more dilute solution is used.<br>

Only partly to redice costs but mainly to improve quality of the negative.<br>

be sure that enough solution is provided so as not to weaken the development.<br>

not byu doubling the strengtrh of the solution but by increading both the volume of water and concentrated developer.<br>

It is usualkly best to use developer aS A "ONE SHOT" MIXING ID-11 OR D 76 AS 1:1<br>

and ensuring enough solution to do it;'s work properly. so do not skimp in the amount of developer.</p>

<p>d76/id-11 is a fine almost universal use developer.<br>

after it is used up investigater hc-110<br>

at the covington hc-110 page<br>

do not use the "kodak method"<br>

use the developer as a one shot, no stocvk solution.<br>

again apolgied for mis types- yes the VA is working on my eyes. nut it is slow. ands maybe not so sure.<br>

I can pretty much see the large kb they gave me.<br>

new glasses help also.</p>

<p>According to http://www.adox.de/english/ADOLUX/ADOLUX/ADONAL/ADONAL.html use at least 5ml of concentrate per 120 roll of film. To process 2 rolls of film at the same time you need to use at least 10ml of concentrate and enough water to achieve the the desired dilution. If the desired dilution requires a larger volume than you tank can hold then use a different dilution so that the volume of the tank is not exceeded and the minimum amount of concentrate is used.</p>

<p>Referring to http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/2011427133131459.pdf , page 7-8, when using stock ID11 increase developing time 10% for each roll of film after the first roll is processed and the developer poured back into the storage bottle for a maximum of 10 rolls of film per liter. When processing 2 rolls at the same time and using fresh developer increase developing time by 10% over the base start time. When reusing developer increase developing time by 10% for each roll to be processed in the tank + the amount of increase for all the previous rolls processed in the developer.<br /> Although the pdf does not state the minimum amount of developer to use when diluting being that the max per liter is 10 rolls of film then 100ml of stock per roll of film should be the correct amount of developer to use per roll of film for calculating the dilution. 2 rolls of film with a 1:1 dilution will require 200ml of developer + 200ml water for a total volume of 400ml.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Alan and Craig: Adding reels with one film into a vertical tank increases the liquid volume automaticaly to cover the reels and that (while keeping the dilution constant) also increases the volume of developer used and hence the time does not change. That is not my situation. Btw. I am doing one-shot, no replenishing.</p>

<p>However I want to use 2 films in the SAME amount of liquid (500ml) as with one roll since the tank only has space for one reel however the reel can take 2 rolls.</p>

<p>Charles: at lest 5ml of Adonal for my tank is 1+100 (well almost, 5+495) while 10ml will change that to 1+50 (10+490 again almost :-)). Does that mean I have to change the development time to a 1+50 dilution or do I treat the 2 films separately as a 1+100 situation so the dev time stays at 1+100 level ?</p>

<p>Ok, looks like I'll start with 1+50 dev time and have to sacrifice the films.</p>

<p>There are developer dilutions which require more than 8oz for a 36 exposure 135 roll, or 16oz for a 220 roll. Your two 120 rolls on would have to be on a 220 reel to fit. That is, even at one shot you need more.<br>

From above, it seems that Adonal at 1:50 can do at least two rolls of 120 with 500ml.</p>

-- glen

<p>You only have to take care of the minimum amount of concentrate for each 120 roll film. For Rodinal/Adonal/R09 o.s. it is around 5ml/each film. So in the 500ml Jobo 1520 tank it will just fit for 1+50 and two 120 roll films.<br>

Also do not forget to use the Jobo Red clip (included in each Jobo reel #1501 or #2502) to prevent an overlap of the two roll films.</p>