Medium Format Forum Seems Much Slower Now?

bob_h

<p>Even as recently as just 2 years ago this forum seemed to be significantly more active than it is currently. My question would be, have that many medium format shooters abandoned ship for digital, or have they moved on to other forums?</p>

<p>Although I acquired the Sigma DP2 and DP3 Merrills, I still shoot a lot more MF film (about 5 to 6 times more). But in various formats and with different brands, so I only tend to come here when it involves Rollei (my favourite, though) and for specific reasons; general surfing I do on Pentaxforums; for some of my MF rangefinders on Rangefinder.com, but only once in a while. <br>

I have not found a good forum for the Sigmas, so I'm silent on that camera, even though they are formidable. The MPP website requires a subscription for printed magazines which I find too pricy, so I'm not on that one either. I followed the Futura club for a while but there was too much noise on that forum for my taste, so I stopped, but I still use the camera.</p>

<p>Yes to both parts of your question. Started shooting MF in 2007 and eventually got kits in 645/6x6/6x7. Shot lots happily up till 2-3 years when my almost neighborhood lab dropped film service and others followed suit.The remaining pro lab in Toronto is ending E-6 service at the end of June, though C-41 and b&w processing will continue. Short of going survivalist or mail order, I shoot far less now and am simply banking negs for future scanning after accumulating enough exposed film to have processed. Seems possible to me that lack of once-easy access to 120 dev/scan/proof/print service killed the mood for many MF shooters.</p>

<p>I'm still shooting MF film. I check out several sites regularly: sometimes I can be of help to someone, sometimes I learn something. I don't claim to "know it all" but I do "know enough" to make prints that please me. It's just a matter of doing the work, so I don't need the web sites as much. I have found that sitting on my backside is not the way to produce prints, but the opposite is true of digital.</p>

<p>My RB67 Pro S system has been joining my Bronicas. In the last month I have added a 100/4 Zenzanon E macro for the ETR series cameras as well as the first version of the ETR Auto Bellows. Earlier this week I got non-metered Chimney and Prism 2 finders for the RB. If the sun would just stay out I would use them more. I have very good processing/printing in my town so that helps. I was at Unique Photo this week too so I have more film to work with. Our red and purple azaleas have just started to bloom so tomorrow and Monday will be prime medium format shooting days. </p>

<p>Shot MF exclusively until about 5/6 years ago and sporadically for a year after. Change to digital forced by changes in stock agency policies- most will not even consider a film submission unless it has been scanned. So either I have to scan- or have scanned- everything I want my agencies to see , not just the proportion they elect to take. This makes film and stock uncomfortable bedfellows and a totally untenable business model. <br>

Still look at MF forum, but as its a few years since I sold all my MF equipment I find I have much less to say and a reducing ability to answer others' questions. </p>

<p>Still shooting MF film, however I lowered my volume because the lab I used fro E-6 closed and the other one used for C41/BW moved. Working on my own development setup now.</p>

<p>Basically with the closure of viable E-6 processing I reduce my shooting volume since E-6 was my primary film type used. Transitioning to BW only for home processing and learning the medium at the moment.</p>

<p>After 18 years of shooting MF film, I went the hybrid route 4 years ago - an old medium format digital back. This is my primary tool; but I still occasionally shoot medium format film with the same camera or my older cameras - mainly for long exposure work.</p>

<p>Does that mean I've "abandoned ship for digital"? Well, yes and no: I'm actually more invested in used medium format lenses and accessories than ever before, with more still in the pipeline; but my usage of them would not fit the profile of the typical MF film shooter on photo.net.</p>

<p>As for the question of moving on to other forums...I still visit this forum almost every day, and contribute as much as I can. The same goes for getdpi.com, which is my main digital MF hangout. I used be very active on luminous-landscape.com, but not so much now - there's a better vibe on getdpi, and it has much better facilities for inline photo display.</p>

<p>Bob, I still use MF film; but not exclusively. I often travel with a 35mm film rangefinder or SLR. The only digital photography I engage in is with my Iphone which I find very enjoyable....the monthly medium format photo thread is still ongoing, and gets posted on the 15th of every month. Participation varies, but there are a number of 'regulars' who are always present. I think the biggest reason for waning interest is the lack of scanning options for MF film. There is a strong MF community on Flickr. And, cameras such as the Holga, Lomo, and DIY pinholes have a respectable following among the younger, hip crowd.</p>

<p>It could be that the price point for digital MF is just still too high. No one makes a simple point and shoot at 50mgp with a true MF sensor size. And if it was made at an affordable price it might eat into the current fans and users of the 120 film cameras. Cost and availability play heavily into the decision of moving up. $8500 is low mark for a body right now, so factor in some used lenses and it still is an expensive upgrade.</p>

<p>It scared the hell out of me to buy the Pentax 645D at $10,000. I just do not have as much time as I want to take photos with it. But the nice weather is weakening my resolve to be at the computer 99% of my time.</p>

<p>CHEERS...Mathew</p>

<p>There are other possibilities. I have noticed medium format owners, users seem to settle on the one camera they like and stick with it, and are very defensive over it. There are usually strong opinions about camera quality, lens quality..resolution, weight, portability, ergonomics. These issues exist in all Photography, but its different in medium format. I don't think its the medium format camera contributing to the non contributing. Also, why is it important for the reverence of a camera depend on the length of a thread here on P.Net? Photography is deeper than social media. It's nice to learn a few things from social media, but my actual Photography, and the camera of choice does not depend on it.</p>

<p>As Don Bright suggested, MF owners tend to be more 'settled', for lack of a better term. I pretty much gave up 35mm film twenty-five years ago when I realized the large prints I was seeing in nature and landscape galleries were being captured by MF and large format film systems. I shot M and LF film for quite a number of years, with a Pentax 645N being my MF equivalent of a travel camera when I could not lug the LF system around. Even today, having given up film because of the lack of high quality labs, many of my best selling images remain from my film days.</p>

<p>I shot my last MF film three years ago when the lab I used, recognized as one of the best in the country and located in Los Angeles, announced they would no longer process E6. I still owned my 645n and all the lenses, and made the move to the 645D, with absolutely no regrets. In spite of the nitpicks about processing speed, etc., it is a stunning performer. For situations where more speed and agility is required I use a Pentax K3.</p>

<p>I think that successful photographers achieve a level of self-confidence about their photography, work flow, skill set, etc, that after a period of time enables them to recognize what is required to capture an image they have pre-visualized. Typically the latest Canikon body is not the solution. Photography, as a serious hobby, as opposed to a business, is much like high end audio. Audiophiles are always looking for the holy grail (reproducing a live performance in the home) and of course, it will never happen, although it can come very close if you have a couple of hundred K$ to spend and the appropriate acoustic environment. Likewise, the latest body with the newest sensor is not a guarantee your photography will jump to the next level, aside from some improvements at the pixel level.</p>

<p>As for for MF discussion forums, I find WWW.GETDPI.COM to be a bit more useful for digital MF shooters than this site. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>My local E6 developer ran into problems with their development (the film holder broke during one of my films…) and quit development altogether when repair was not feasible.<br>

Fortunately, Ag Photo Lab have a good postal service across the UK, which works very efficiently, so I use them for E6, while I have a local lab in London for negative colour film. But local E6 labs are harder to find.</p>

<p>Actually, I am shooting much more after a 10 year hiatus. I have snatched up like new equipment for half-pennies (if they made any) on the dollar. RB67's, RZ67's, Mamiya Press, Pentax 67's, Hassy 500CM's, 4x5 enlarger, lenses galore. I love that stuff. Works of art in machine form.<br>

I like giving new life to old things - maybe somebody will do the same for me someday!!<br>

I have digital equipment, but it is really just for commercial stuff or "snapshots." Film is like savoring a fine meal - digital just gets you fed quick and efficiently. Digital has it's place, but I really enjoy B&W film and the process of shooting, developing, and printing my own stuff. I even use an instant back on an RB using Fuji color - great fun - puts the "majic" back in photography.<br>

Hopefully film will outlive us, but I'm not so sure.</p>

<p>I have not given up on MF film shooting. I shoot no digital, much to my customers dismay. I must scan all work to be able to stay in the game (Plustek 120). I don't visit Pnet as much as in the past because there was a time when Pnet had a separate Pentax 67 forum. When the gurus here decided to fold it into the larger Medium Format Forum, P67 owners looked elsewhere because we felt slighted. Pentaxforums took a lot of us. As you can see, I still visit here once in awhile. </p>

<p>I am camera-agnostic and shoot whatever I feel like, whether digital, 110, APS, 35mm, or medium format. In the past month I have used 3 of my 4 medium format cameras. I'm trying to work up the courage to do a 4-day vacation in July with no digital at all, only medium format. It's a place I've been to many times and I've taken a ton of pics, just never given it the "true" treatment that MF entails. To me at least.</p>

<p>Equipment Update:<br>

I just received two lenses for my RZ67's: a 180/4.5 that is in like new condition for $99 shipped. B&H sells them brand new for $1499 with free shipping. Wow!<br>

<br />Yesterday I got a 50/4.5 RZ mount for about $150 shipped also in like new condition. B&H sells them brand new for $1999 with free shipping. Wow again!<br>

<br />This is either a great time to get unbelievable buys on medium format film equipment or I am just wasting money to have a new toy for just a little while until film ceases being available. But by then, perhaps digital backs will be available for legacy bodies. Time, as always, will tell. In the meantime, I'll enjoy the ride.</p>

I still check my regular photography sites almost everyday. I am

seeing less newbie questions concerning mf.

Maybe alot of people have gone to the dark side? I don't know.

You're still here n that matters.

Whats more frustrating are help calls ive answered n the op never returns!... This seems to be a growing trend.

The more you say, the less people listen.

I keep reading about such great deals, Stephen, but never come across one myself. For that sort of money, i'd gladly put together a RZ kit. Congrats!<br><br>I'm sure many former medium format photographers have gone digital, 35 mm based or MF. This particular MF forum is not very digitally minded, so i expect them to have moved on to somewhere else.<br>But have a look at the Classic Manual Camera forum to see that it doesn't take a lot of people to keep a forum pretty active.

<p>Every possible question has been asked 6000 times and answered with alacrity by the same people 6000 times. So people already have the answers and even the people who jump on questions like hungry hyenas are getting tired of answering the same things over and over.</p>