What is the greatest need of a young photographer who is just starting out?

<p>Been there, done that...<br>

I became seriously interested in photography at age 14 and pursued it through a bachelor's degree to being a professional for 10 years.<br>

Initially you only need patience, creativity and a camera; ANY camera will really do, but the ability to manually control (or override) settings is helpful to learning the craft.<br>

I owned a decent SLR camera with a 50, 28 and 135 lens when I began attending Art Center College of Design. They had a long list of camera gear required for school; including a 4x5 view camera kit, but in reality most technique could be learned with any camera. <br>

Making the transition from school to profession, the gear would depend on the specific area of professional focus. Again; in function, top-of-the-line gear isn't always required, but it can increase reliability which is critical in some pursuits, and some clients have certain expectations.</p>

<p>Biggest need, IMHO, is to have the time and mindset to be able to look at the world around you. If work or other obligations/distractions eat all your time and mental energy, that makes it hard to progress. (I speak as a humble amateur, of course.)</p>

<p>Look at patterns, look at the way light and shadow interact. Go to art galleries, look at commercial illustration and design, look at other people's photos as much as you can.</p>

<p>Great responses here. If you mean gear, then just a camera. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. I've seen terrible photos with super fancy cameras...and really fantastic photos with lower-end cameras. If it is a DSLR, a general knowledge of of aperture, ISO, and shutter speed is helpful. Aside from that, a safe place for the camera (i.e. camera bag) is also on the must-have list, as is a memory card for that camera. Nice to have items would be a basic photo book (or a book based on what they enjoy...such as food photography or nature photography...) and Lightroom, but a beginner doesn't really need Lightroom either. Shout if you are looking for more specific answers. </p>

<p>A photographer...is a seeker; they are searching for something. The something is a mystery but they know it is the there....Sometimes, they feel so close, but then it is gone....but they know it there.</p>

<p>The rest is arse licking to put some coins in your pocket.</p>

<p>Your choice.</p>

<p>Allen it appears something left a bad taste in your mouth along the way...I'd say a decent camera body and no more than two capable lenses, maybe three but two should cover most situations. Get a good basic knowledge of aperture, shutter speeds and exposure. Then go out and practice a bunch and see what appeals to you.</p>

<p>Rick H.</p>

<p>"Allen it appears something left a bad taste in your mouth along the way...I'd say a decent camera body and no more than two capable lenses"</p>

<p>The fool on the hill. Yes, a decent camera, and some capable lenses will make you....sorry, what? You?</p>

<p>"I thing this peep is just Trolling..."</p>

<p>What is a peep? This is a international site...the world does not end in your special place.</p>

<p> </p>

Money: To fund projects that mean something to you, and to fund the time, pay the rent, utilities, and food bills while you make your initial set of mistakes. If you are lucky it will take about the first two years of working hard to figure out how photographs, specifically the photographs you need or want to make, actually work.

Keep your equipment purchases to a bare minimum. Like some say about guns: cameras (and lights, etc.) don't shoot pictures, people do.

<p>I always think a troll is trying to find a truth. But they seem to lack, a courage, to ask.</p>

<p>But they are wanting.... but lacking the courage to challenge head on. A few little words, then they hide.</p>

<p>But we know who you really are....internet is an open resource. Proxy severs are a fallacy.</p>

<p>Same thing I tell every young person I meet who wants to get into photography:</p>

<ul>

<li>Read one or two books on basic technique and lighting.</li>

<li>See lots of photographs in person. Luckily we have a great local museum with an outstanding and diverse photo collection.</li>

<li>Take lots of photos, don't censor yourself, feel free to make mistakes. The delete button works fine, but don't use it too hastily.</li>

<li>Find a local mentor, as Brad suggested. Occasionally I'll offer to spend a day with them if our interests are compatible.</li>

<li>Don't get addicted to equipment magazines or web review sites.</li>

<li>Stay away from internet argument forums. Unless you want to be told mostly what not to do, or that whatever you're doing is wrong, or that everything was better in the old days.</li>

</ul>

<p>Everything you need you all ready have:<br>

A child-like sense of wonder,enchantment and play. A curious interest in the world and everything in it. A desire to grab a piece of it, hold it, and share it with others. A deep sense of gratitude for the precious gift of sight and the light that makes it possible.</p>

<p>The hard part is not letting the above get jammed with too much noise. Learning photography techniques and picture making skills are within reach of most intelligent people willing to put in the time and effort. Staying in touch with your essential joy is more difficult. </p>

<p>After shooting as a hobby for 40 years, I found the that my best needs have been a good day-job that pays enough money to support a family, the appropriate equipment, and the means to get to where I want to go to do my photography. Otherwise, the market is soooo over-saturated with photos, you will have to create a niche and a style that really sets you apart from every other photographer in order to become successful. </p>

Most of the responses have been dealing with how a person can learn to take or create good photos. All well and good but I think the question is geared more to advising a person who expresses a desire to become a professional photographer. The greatest need then is - finding people who are willing to pay you money for your photos.

At that point you are a tradesman just like a plumber. People need a plumber so they look in the Yellow Pages. The owner of the plumbing shop started out working for another plumber to learn the trade. He may have continued with that shop all his life or he may have learned enough to buy his own tools and set up his own shop and seek clients by advertising.

A young photographer may start out working for a photographer who owns a photo studio or a wedding photographer as assistant or second shooter. When he sees how the business is run then he may set out on his own. It is all about learning how to get clients to buy your photos.

Too structured? You just want to be able to go out and take photos of things that strike your fancy and sell those? Nice sunset photo. Nobody asked you to take it so how are you going to sell it? Maybe at a flea market or on the street or hope that a gallery may be interested? If you try to go that route you had better keep you day job and only use photography to pick up a few dollars here and there.

Just as there are few actors or actresses of the thousands of hopefuls who become rich and famous there are few photographers who become famous and can command high prices for their work, prices that are more for their name than for the photo images themselves.

What about all those photographers that are on the sidelines at major sports venues? One would have to get a job as an assistant helping to carry equipment around and then after a number of years replace a retiring photographer.

Do I hear cries of - No, no, no. None of that. I want to be paid to fly around the world to shoot scantily clad supermodels in exotic locations. - That is not a bad idea but for the most part it is not going to happen unless a lot of time is put in working as a low paid assistant and not with the freedom to shoot what one wants when one wants.

It all comes down to attaching yourself to a mentor so you can find how he goes about the business of getting clients or selling photos if a freelancer. The photography itself only becomes secondary.

James G. Dainis