Anyone buy any photo gear during the holiday sales yet?

<p>Buy any new photo toys or needed supplies? As always, I heard on national news that the better deals will come as we get closer to Christmas, but not sure how much that pertains to camera gear. I bought the Nikon 24-70 2.8G ED back in March when Nikon finally offered rebates that included the 24-70. I'm still broke after that purchase...but very happy:)</p>

<p>I saved $100 on a radio transceiver that will allow me to use an iPad-based ground station app to tell a camera drone how to fly a pattern around a number of waypoints while I pay attention to where the camera is pointing. So, I suppose that's photo gear! But it was nice seeing a 33% off deal on the thing show up in my inbox. Sold. (I was going to buy it anyway, suckers!).<br /><br />This time of year, a little patience can certainly pay off.</p>

<p>Christmas and Halloween are the two best times to buy photo-related props and gadgets. </p>

<p>Highly reflective Mylar film in all sorts of colors disguised as gift wrapping material, lights of all types, shapes and colors, fiber optic decorations, reflective globes, snow bonding flock, snow in a spray can, all available in well stocked department stores. </p>

<p>I wouldn't count on any traditional calendar models for discounts - especially not from Nikon or Canon, which increasingly lock authorized retailers into MAP pricing. You'll need to check for discounts and specials almost every day for exceptions, which occasionally apply to discontinued NIB items.</p>

<p>The international economy is more an aggregation of micro-climates, in which retail prices can fluctuate rapidly and often, with little or no notice, often in isolated areas. The Black Friday concept is geared toward the traditional meatspace market and even the Cyber Monday concept is dated. Many great deals nowadays are announced through social media and last only a few hours, a day or until supplies are exhausted - closer to the woot.com concept.</p>

<p>A few days ago Amazon blew out a small batch of Kindle Paperwhite e-readers for something like $25, announced only through Facebook (and possible Google+ and Twitter). Naturally they were gone by the time I noticed the announcement - although I didn't join in the wailing commentary on Facebook where some customers complained "It ain't faaaiiirrr!". But it's an effective way for an advertiser to determine the effectiveness of certain types of marketing strategies.</p>

<p>For the past couple of months Adobe has been juggling prices, both in an effort to determine how much folks might be willing to pay for their creative cloud suite, and also in response to damage control over their security vulnerabilities.</p>

<p>At this very moment I see Lightroom 5 on sale to new purchasers for $69.99 via Amazon and NewEgg, while the upgrade path is still something like $75-$80 for existing LR customers. I'm not sure whether that $69.99 is a Cyber Monday-only deal that will expire at midnight. As I'm typing this I'm waiting for Adobe online customer service to answer whether they'll offer me the same price as an existing LR customer - in which case I'll upgrade directly through Adobe rather than go through another retailer.</p>

<p>Last week I received a Nikon SB-N5 flash as a birthday gift, which we jumped on when Adorama's Amazon store price dropped to just over $120, the lowest we'd seen online and included free shipping. Presumably they were able to advertise this lower price because that model has been discontinued, although I don't see any notice on Nikon USA's website regarding availability.</p>

<p>Shopping is only going to get weirder as meatspace retailers begin using facial recognition and other methods to target prices toward specific customers, literally as they pass a product display.</p>

<p>I may break down and finally buy another D300 battery if they go on sale:) Still using the originals, plus two back-ups. They lose power pretty quick now-a-days, especially since I do a lot of long exposures.<br>

I have to buy a couple of Quick Release Plates. One fell off somewhere on the beach. The gasket is loose on the other one, so my 70-200mm lens keeps slowly slipping when doing vertical format. I found some 5 year old Permatex Silicone Gasket Maker in the garage and have re-glued the gasket back on the metal part. Seems to be holding very well for now. Called Permatex and they told me that I must buy a new tube, because the old silicone may eventually crack. I should tell Santa to bring me a couple of better quality Quick Release Plates then the type that came with the Bogan tripod. This is what I have now> http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mowVpBtUERHpwDyTnTgCj9w.jpg</p>

<p><strong>Lex-</strong> regarding the Adobe Creative Cloud Suite and security vulnerabilities. I wonder how many other folks have done like me and stuck with their old versions? I still have CS5. For now I refuse to pay a monthly/annual fee. I keep hoping that they will go back to the old way, after all the negative feedback.<br>

Are the security vulnerabilities only with the Creative Cloud or anything related to Adobe? Sorry, I guess this should be addressed on another thread.<br>

<strong> </strong><br>

<strong>Matt</strong>- ABC news had a great story on Drones tonight. Gotta read some of the hilarious tweets:D http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/amazons-drone-delivery-idea-launches-funny-tweets/story?id=21068602<br>

Glad to see that some members are getting some deals!</p>

<p>I would like to upgrade my inbuilt and tired computer screen by an Eizo or NEC critical color monitor, but would like to see the 800 to 1000 dollar ones come down to 600 dollars or so. The ones I see at lowest prices necessitate shipping from New York, with worries about receiving the item in good condition. This may be unfounded as the stores also receive shipments. Maybe a closer outlet will have one on sale before Christmas or in the Boxing Day (Dec.26) sales, which I would prefer in case there is any need to return in case of malfunction or dead pixels.</p>

If you buy from a good store in NYC they'll take responsibility for shipping damage. Same with an Amazon or Newegg.

Also consider some more modest monitor - an Arizona for $2k plus is really for people with higher end needs than

photographers - VFX and broadcast etc. something like an Asus PA series (24" for $320) is great for photography.

<p>Thanks, Andy, I will look into that. I've heard that ASUS makes some very good monitors, but I particularly like the back up service, 4 year warranty and calibration aids offered by NEC for their less expensive PA241W or older P241W. Not sure I can spring a purchase at Christmas, as other recipients are in line ahead of me.</p>

<p>I just bought a 7 inch Derogy Petzval made in the mid 1850s from a Danish collector. I'm not sure I would have got it for less $$ if I had waited a few weeks. It's a great lens and he was hesitant to sell it in the first place.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>John said:</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>Anyone buy any photo gear during the holiday sales yet?</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Nope! Everything I wanted was apparently too "specialized" to be promoted as a Black Friday (or, Cyber Monday) holiday sale. Here's what's in my B+H cart <em>right now</em>:</p>

<p>Nikon EN-EL4a batteries (x2): $119 each<br /> Impact LiteTrek 4.0 400Ws DC monolight kit [includes one Mini-LiteTrek Li-ion battery]: $649<br /> Impact Mini-LiteTrek Li-ion battery + CKE Nikon cable: $329<br /> Impact reflector adapter: $25<br /> Elinchrom 39" Mini-Octa: $254<br /> Elinchrom speedring for Bowens: $79<br /> Photoflex extra-large 54" x 72" LiteDome: $259<br /> Chimera QR speedring for Speedotron: $104<br /> Chimera 3700 stand adapter: $42</p>

<p>Notice that I only have one sort-of-pricey item (the strobe), but it's still totaling right at about $2,000! This still doesn't include the Photek shoot-through umbrellas I've been meaning to buy. I'm still trying to muster the courage to pull out my Amex and order all of this.</p>

<p>I'm trying to talk myself into a used Leica M9, but with the A7R coming out and already being a NEX7 owner, I'm waffling. I kind of think the A7R would be a better camera for my Leica M lenses (and my Contax SLR lenses and my other lenses) and half the cost and new.</p>

<p>I want to prefer the M9 but my rational side is giving me trouble ;-) </p>

<p>Yes! I jumped on the $119 Olympus 40-150 Micro 43 lens. I had not intended to buy this lens, having just purchased the Oly 45 f1.8. But my wife has the 40-150, loves it and said I needed one. What a great wife I have to encourage me to buy photo gear! The 40-150 is a really sharp, albeit slow, lens and at $119, I couldn't pass it up.</p>

<p>After deciding the Df wasn't going to satisfy me I bought a used D800E. But, in true Gup fashion I found a used one I couldn't pass up. Three months old with 970 actuations for $2500. The gentleman even insisted on paying the shipping and insurance! Picking up an L bracket on the weekend.<br>

Brad, your generosity will be appreciated. How do you decide who gets $25 and who gets $10?</p>

<p>Not a cent this time. Already got a D600 this year but in hindsight shoulda not b/c I shoot slides myself and with others it's just snapshots generally which the older dSLRs are still fine. I would like to get a 70-200mm after selling the older 80-200 AFD 2.8 a few yrs ago but that can wait. </p>

<p>I also repaired my D70 by getting a new refurbished memory card unit. Don't get the odd ERR/FOR now. </p>

<p>Nothing is sweeter than finding a great deal on the internet. I recently purchased a Canon Pixma Pro100 from BH photo in NY.It cost $398 including shipping. Not bad when you get 50 sheets of Canon 13x19 free and a $300 rebate. In the end it cost me $98 and the printer included a full set of 8 ink cart. Canon throws in some excellent software all compatible with lightroom and adobe. We just received the printer yesterday and will be setting it up the next few days. </p>