Where does one buy a new Pentax 67II?

dinora_de_rivera

<p>I believe you'll find that there never was a "U.S." version of the camera. The only difference was the warrantee, USA vs International. However, I'm pretty sure that Pentax USA is no longer servicing the cameras under warrantee anyway.<br>

A call to them will confirm, or disprove, my assumption.<br>

The 67IIs, actually most of the P67s, were such workhorses that I'd have no qualms about buying a used one. Try to find a 67II that doesn't look abused and you'll be fine. The only P67s to avoid are the earliest, non-mirror lock up, ones. Pentax quit servicing them years ago due to parts being unavailable.<br>

Do try to buy the latest versions of any lenses you want as the last lens designs were in most cases greatly improved over earlier versions.<br>

JD</p>

<p>Because so many have been sold, local camera shops which carry used cameras probably has a few; sometimes they offer a 30-days warranty, which would be necessary to make sure that, for instance, film advance works well.<br>

Your hopes of finding a new one are somewhat slim, unless you are willing to pay over a thousand for the body only.</p>

<p>Just to be clear, the Pentax 67II is rare because the present owners are hanging on to them for all the right reasons, but occasionally someone gets a notion for whatever reason to let one go. Today the search, and want for a Pentax 67II is patience in slow motion. In other words don't give up, and I would attest that it will be worth the wait.</p>

<p>i bought one from my local cameras store. a pro had 3 bodies and various lenses which he traded in for digital stuff. got a great price, much better than ebay. but the big plus was being able to physically hold it, look at it and play with it before i bought it. many like new things from ebay are garbage. try to find a local one if you can.</p>

<p>Mamiya 7 is a fine RF camera with excellent wide angle lenses. Have you tried focusing the 150 or 210mm lenses? How's it with macro lenses? Any zooms? Kidding of course, but you see the point. Also, once familiar with the P67II it turns out to be less heavy than expected, and very nice to handle, easy to like. Two very different rigs. :-)</p>

• 2 months later...
<p>The Pentax 67 SLR has certain advantages over a rangefinder camera, such as through the lens viewing, which allows the use of the excellent range of Pentax 67 telephoto lenses, macro lenses, 2 zoom lenses and 1.4X & 2X teleconverters. Being able to view the effects of various filters through the lens and seeing the depth of field when you stop down a lens can also be a huge advantage. While the mirror slap is loud, you have the option of locking the mirror up prior to releasing the shutter. I have the latest version of the Pentax 67, just prior to the Pentax 67II and I love it. I use the camera primarily for lanscapes, almost always on a tripod. The results I get, using fine grain film that I have scanned on a drum scanner, are outstanding. I have a custom, small wood grip on my camera, which makes the camera much easier to handle. I personally don't recommend the big, Pentax brand wooden grips.</p>

<p>George, as I read your post your description sounded familiar! I have a late-6x7, where its lenses already were using the new 67 naming pattern. (It was used, with 45 & 300mm lenses). Then I saw a guy was making custom wood grips and selling them on eBay -- It mounts on the right-side strap lugs, and has a bubble level on top. Makes for a much more secure hold. The guy was named Ino Yoon, from Queens, New York. That was 10 years ago... Maybe the same grip you have?<br /> I got a second such grip a year later and put it on my pre-MLU 6x7 that I got used in 1976. The effect is rather like the built-in grip on the 67II. I have two of those, too, very fond of the system!</p>

<p>Doug, it was many years ago that I bought that wood grip, but it does lock onto the strap lugs and I think it was the same guy, who was selling them on ebay, which is where I bought mine. My grip works quite well and makes the camera much easier to handle. I had a second identical grip on another 67 body, which I have subsequently sold. Happy shooting! George </p>

• 7 months later...