B&W Portrait film opinions

Dave Luttmann

<p>I thought I'd ask everyone for their opinions on their favorite B&W films and developer for portraiture type work...primarily natural light, outdoors. I'm steering away from medium format and concentrating on using my Nikon F5 with the 50 and 85 as the primary setup. I don't mind grain in an image....although Delta 3200 pushed three stops in Rodinal may be a bit over the top ;-)<br>

Oh...the film will be scanned.</p>

<p>Thoughts anyone?</p>

<p>1) Ilford Pan F+ developed in either Rodinal 1+ 50 or DD-X 1 + 4. Developed in Rodinal the film will be very sharp, showing all skin blemmishes and wrinkles. It is more forgiving when developed in DD-X.</p>

<p>2) Ilford Delta 100 developed in DD-X 1 +4.</p>

<p>3) Kodak TMAX-100 developed in D-76 1 + 1.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Dave, Acros (35mm) is still available here in the UK. I don't think it has been discontinued. In fact I've just checked at my supplier and they still do it in 120. Fuji have nuked Neopan 1600 and I must remember to buy a few rolls of that while I can still get it.</p>

<p>Like the other Russ asked, why are you moving away from MF? Unless you are doing some action shots, I would think you'd want the natural benefits of a larger negative if you have that capability. The only issue I could see is if you don't want to use a tripod and the MF camera you have is challenging to hand hold (like my RB67). Regardless, using a tripod, even with 35mm, will yield the sharpest portraits. Again, unless you are doing action shots, your model isn't going anywhere fast, giving you ample time to work from a tripod. I used to think tripods were for wimps, but now I swear by them. There are exceptions of course, but I think they help immensely.</p>

<p>Anyway, regarding film, I would vote for Acros or Adox CHS Art.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>FP4+ in HC110. I also don't see anything gained by going with the small negative, the 6x6 or whatever "breathes" so much more. Shoot digital then, I don't even touch 35mm anymore. It's either the Blads and black and white or digital. Your call of course, I'm just opinionating *-))</p>

Thanks everyone. As I'm

shooting wide open, I can indeed

use the slower films. I find

the results from the current

crop of slow films decent enough

for albums. I may move back to

MF. Right now I just have the

RB67 so I find it too much. I

may try a contax or mamiya 645

as an alternative. Thanks for

the input everyone!