Help me make a gallon of rapid fixer

<p>A US gallon is 3.78 liters, an Imperial gallon is 4.54 liters, which gallon?<br /> Are you using it for film or paper? The dilutions are different.<br /> So are the Ilford package sizes, there are at least three retail sizes, which one do you have.<br /> Just mix up what you need, the concentrate keeps just fine for a few months.</p>

<p>It has no instructions? I mix the bottle or packet to get a gallon. I don't dilute I just use the gallon over and over for about a year...... Now some here will give you the 2 fix bath option but I only develop film these days and the odd paper negative. I have only had one fail in the last 5 years and that was my fault. BTW it was nothing that could not be fixed...</p>

<p> So Start with about 3 quarts of water add the fixer concentrate mix well then top off to one gallon.</p>

<p>I have the 1litre bottel of ilford rapid fixer and want to make 1 US Gallon for film and another 1 US Gallon for Paper.<br>

The bottle says "Film and Paper Fixer " and underneath it has the 5 Litres (1+4) and 10 Litres (1+9).<br>

When i open the instructions it says Ilford PAPER Fixer is a rapid acting fixer...<br>

and it says Dillute concentrate 1 + 3 with water.</p>

<p>1 part concentrate rapid fixer + 4 parts water = 5 parts total working solution.<br>

1 U.S. gallon =128 fl. oz. = 3.785412 liter =3785.5412 ml.<br>

128/5= 25.6.<br>

3785.5412/5= 757.1<br>

There are several freeware converters available on line to convert measurements of one type to another if you need one.</p>

<p>You can't, you don't have enough concentrate.</p>

<p>How big is your film tank, 500 ml? Just mix up 500 ml for film at 1:4 with 100ml of concentrate and 400 ml of water.<br>

You can use 1:9 for paper, so 100ml of concentrate makes 1 liter of paper fixer.</p>

<p>See here for Ilfords instructions<br>

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/2006130218312091.pdf</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Make one bottle of stock. Dilute from there if you must. I always used the same for film and paper no dilution.... I poured it back in the bottle after I finished.... Like I said.. never a problem.... and Rapid fixer for paper is to me not worth the extra cost. Just my 40+ years talking though.</p>

<p>Also, keep in mind that once your film is even partially fixed, it is no longer light sensitive. If you're worried that the fixer is too weak (better to err on that side), you can check your negatives after a few minutes. If they're still mostly opaque, the fixer is too weak and has already been exhausted. Dump it, and add more fixer. If this happens regularly, then use less water the next time you mix it up.</p>

<p>1) The instructions on the Ilford bottle are wrong. I posted about that back in 2008:<br>

<a href="00QIey">http://www.photo.net/black-and-white-photo-film-processing-forum/00QIey</a></p>

<p>2) Mix 1+4 for film.</p>

<p>3) Mix 1+9 for paper.</p>

<p>@Paulo. Unless you need to use 1 gallon all at one, mix only as much as you need. Rapid fix keeps very well as a concentrate; I am not sure how well it keeps after it is mixed.</p>

<p>"..Just mix up 500 ml for film at 1:4 with 100ml of concentrate and 400 ml of water.."</p>

<p>Remember that the "1+4" nomenclature used by Ilford means "1+4=5 total".</p>

<p>Kodak's "1:4" (for example dil. C, HC-110) looks like a ratio, but actually means the same thing as Ilford's "1+4".</p>

<p>Kodaks "1:4" is not a ratio—it does not mean concentrate will be one-fourth of the total volume of the working solution.</p>

<p>So Ilford's nomenclature is a lot clearer than Kodak's.</p>

<p>"..Just mix up 500 ml for film at 1:4 with 100ml of concentrate and 400 ml of water.."</p>

<p>Remember that the "1+4" nomenclature used by Ilford means "1+4=5 total".</p>

<p>Kodak's "1:4" (for example dil. C, HC-110) looks like a ratio, but actually means the same thing as Ilford's "1+4".</p>

<p>Kodaks "1:4" is not a ratio—it does not mean concentrate will be one-fourth of the total volume of the working solution.</p>

<p>So Ilford's nomenclature is a lot clearer than Kodak's.</p>

Considering there are ILFORD 1+3 directions, 1+4 directions, and 1+9 directions; can one assume that the actual

concentration dilution really doesn't need to be all that exact.

Once a negative or print is fixed, it is fixed. And a finite amount of fixer appears to be used up regardless of how

much water it is diluted in. What I mean is that if I mix up Fixer at a ratio of 1+6.1232 and fix a print with it, the actual

amount of fixer depleted and used in the dilution is the same amount as in a 1+3 dilution.

Once a negative or print hits that fixed point, it does not continue to be fixed more by longer fixing times or more

concentrated fixer.

• 2 weeks later...