Any still use their old Nikon Film Cameras

michael_scott_r

<p>I mostly use my D700, but my F5 - bought as back-up for when my D700 needs cleaning - got wheeled out a few weeks ago to take some photos of bluebells (I think there's some metamerism that Velvia handles better than bayer filters). I have a better range of lenses for it than my Pentax 645, which also got used. If I ever get around to picking up an F75, I'll probably do more film black-and-white when I want something portable and cheap; currently an Eos 500 (not digital) is on that duty, with a Bessa R as back-up.</p>

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I do drag out my old 8008s once in a while and run a roll of slide film through it. I would probably shoot it more often, as I grew up shooting Kodachrome 25/64, but it is getting more difficult to find someone to process slide film. Here (Raleigh, NC, USA) we do have a great lab (JW Photo) but if I need any prints made from the slides, they're going to scan them and just turn them into a digital file. I don't know of anyone who still prints old fashioned Cibachromes any more. So if my slide film is going to wind up as a digital file anyway, why bother? I just pull out a digital camera.</p>

<p>While I don't shoot any 35mm any more, I have been shooting historic cameras quite a bit for the past year. I have a 1937 Voigtlander Bessa, a 1914 Kodak No. 1 Special, and lenses for my 4x5 that date to 1860. I only shoot b&w film.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>I have used my Nikon F90X with film in the past year with excellent results but will now tend to grab the D7000. I still like film although it is not as available as it was as well as the processing. I have three film cameras of different degrees of technology ... the F90X, a Minolta X700 and an old Olympus that is totally manual (this is how you really learn about aperture and shutter speeds). In addition I have a couple an antique medium format cameras that I have collected over the years (and have used just for the fun of it). While I still have all of my B&W dark room equipment, I am learning the world of DSLR. While I still expect to use film at times the "main camera" today is the D7000.</p>

<p>I still like to shoot B&W film. Here is a shot from a roll of APX100 I developed last night. Didn't use my FM2 though, this one is from my Zorki1. I have a roll almost shot in my FM2. The Zorki fits in my bag better though so gets carried more and I don't have a manual focus 50mm in Nikon mount.</p><div>00Yt6V-369175584.jpg.2ba973a0285cd6cc9fe3ea3110a91dbd.jpg</div>

<p>I last used my Nikkormat last September, and I'm slowly working on a roll of film now (I try to only take a picture when it counts). Between the time I put that roll in the camera and now, the minilab I was using in my neighbourhood has closed, and while there is an actual pro/commercial place nearby, it's much too expensive for my casual use. So it has to be digital most of the time, with film only occasionally.</p>

<p>I shoot film a lot. Always have 2 bodies loaded with film. I use film cameras in rotation, two at a time, just to keep the fun coming. I still have every camera (and lens) I bought since day 1 (1987). Mostly Nikons, FE2, FM2, F3HP, F801s, F100, plus a Hasselblad 500cm, an Olympus OM1n, and 3 Konica Auto S2s.<br>

Loading the film, advancing the frames, releasing the shutter.... just make me feel right. Still keep the wet darkroom, doing B&W only. For colors I sent out.<br>

Of course, there is digital, but that is another story.</p>

I take out my F100 and my F5 for walks with Ektachrome ISO 100 on a nice afternoon... and also shoot a

Nikon S2 (rangefinder camera made sometime in 1955) with its kit lens: a 50mm f1.4 wonder.

Other than that, I shoot with Leicas. My latest infatuation is the M5. I have two, and also use both (one

with B&W, the other with color).

Film is alive and well in this corner of the world...

<p>I use my Film Camera's quite often. <br>

I am the designated Dad With a Camera for my son's baseball team. I mostly shoot with my D3, but one game I shot B&W using my F5. Ever since then, I have been getting more requests for B&W pictures from the F5. Now I alternate between the D3 and the F5. I shoot one inning digital and one inning film. It expensive, but lots of fun. And the parents love the look of the B&W.</p>

<p>I was about to sell off my remaining manual focus Nikon lenses, when I came across an old friend, my Nikon FM that I bought new in 1979. The memories. Then nostalgia came over me. It is so small and easy to use, but with a screen ruined from the old foam goo, I decided to "upgrade" to a used Nikon FMn2 from Keh.com. And once I bought that, I had the nerve to replace the "non-replaceable" screen in my FM with a new 3rd generation screen. That actually worked out well. So now I have two great classic Nikon film cameras, and I use them! I haven't yet gone digital. I'm close to buying a decent digital camera, but dang it, if they could just make a digital version of the Nikon FM!</p>

<p>I find certain shooting situations are better with the old manual cameras. One example is time exposures of fireworks. With a manual film camera, I can shoot a 10 second shot crank the film advance and shoot another 10 second exposure. With my D70, after I take the 10 second exposure, I have to wait for the camera to "process" the image before I can shoot the next shot. This is irritating during a fireworks show when you are trying to shoot one after another in a short period of time, the processing time seriously reduces the number of shots I am able to shoot within that short period of time.<br>

I enjoy film enough that I am rebuilding my film kit. Just picked up an F3HP to replace my pre-AI F2. And I want to get some of the older 1-ring manual focus zooms. The smoothness of the zoom+focus ring makes most current lenses look bad.</p>

<p>Nikon S2 w/50mm f1.4 (sonnar designed lens)Gave up on the Nikkormat series & Nikon D1 and Nikon F4 (too heavy). F4 good for sports but not for carrying about all day.replaced with Nikon F3HP & 35mm f2.0 Zeiss & 105mm f2.5 Ai-S. I have other Ai-S lenses but that is the basic kit.</p>

<p> </p>

Yes, still shooting only with FE and F4. Might get an F100 soon for situations where fast autofocus tracking is needed. Still don't see a reason to switch to DSLR. For occasional shooting of landscape and family portraits the film cameras are good enough, and cheaper too.

<p>I still use 35mm film much more than digital - F2AS, FA, FM3a, F100, F4, F5 & F6 (two of them!). And a D700 which I mainly use when I know that I will either be taking many hundreds of pictures (thus avoiding eons of scanning) or if I know I will take pictures where seeing the end result quickly is essential (long exposures etc).</p>

I shoot film all the time. I have a few manual focus Minoltas but have been neglecting them lately in favor of my

Nikons - F3HP, FE2 and F100. I'm leaving in a couple days for a wedding in CA and bringing my F100 with my new

50/1.8 AFS and Tamron 70-300VC (I just nail every shot with the F100), and depending on how much room I have in

my bag maybe the FE2 with the 100/2.8 Series E and/or my 28-75/2.8.

I've got a ziplock bag of film in my fridge to take with me, and keep changing my mind and swapping the films. What

do you guys think? The short list is Portra in 160 and 400 (new and NC), Reala, Pro 800Z, HP5+, and E100GX.