B&H and Adorama. Is there any place else?

<p>I was curious if anyone has found a good source of 35mm color negative film. I've had great experiences ordering from both B&H and Adorama, and occasionally find good prices in retail stores (Wal-Mart sells 4 packs of Fuji Superia 200/24 for less than $7), but I'm curious if anyone has found an alternate online source. I see Ecamera films has great prices on both amateur and pro film, and I've called them to ensure that it wasn't outdated. They said it wasn't. But, has anyone ordered from them before? The only other place I notices was East Coast Photo, but a lot of their stock seemed a bit stale, as they carry lots of out of production film. </p>

<p>Just curious if there's a hidden gem online.</p>

<p>Watch out for shipping surcharges at Freestyle.</p>

<p>They charged $34 to ship a pair of 4x5 film holders and three 20-sheet boxes of 4x5 film by Priority Mail, which cost them $10.</p>

<p>I buy over 90% of my stuff from B&H. Great folks to deal with. Most of the rest comes from Adorama.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p>Calumet is very reliable, only a little more expensive than B&H and Adorama on film. Plus, if you live near one like I do, you can buy film in person, cold from the fridge.<br>

Nobody is going to beat B&H or Adorama on price combined with fresh quality inventory. Cheaper is going to be unreliable merchant, bait-and-switch, poorly stored, or short-dated.<br>

Now, you may find better buys on the consumer films -- not a lot of B&H and Adorama customers are buying Kodak Gold 400. But nobody sells more Portra 400 than these two, so they have the best quantity, and thus great prices.</p>

<p>Just a special note on Freestyle. This company has been supporting film shooters back into the Pleistocene period (good storage there for Kodachrome ASA 10). While I very much appreciate B&H and Adorama, it's nice to occasionally throw some business to this film only vendor.</p>

<p>They are available on-line at http://www.freestylephoto.biz/</p>

<p>I think they've been in business since 1946 as film vendor, and still going today. Here is an ad from the September 1957 issue of <em>Popular Photography</em></p>

<p> </p><div>00YTHo-343059584.jpg.d123b396fcec762c07adf0825559c6ce.jpg</div>

<p>The local camera shops give you great customer service the convenience of taking the item home right away and the convenience of returning the item without any two-way shipping charges. The bad is you pay taxes and the prices are usually higher. What makes Adorama, B&H & Amazon so successful is not only cheaper prices, no taxes, but the ability to handle very high volumes. </p>

<p>Harry, an addendum on your comment: as a local shop owner (well, my father's shop), I can tell you that getting film is an absolute pain. Most of the pro and hobbyist stuff (Portra, Ilford, etc.) ships easy, but 'budget' films typically require an order of 40+ rolls at a time to show up in les that a month of more. We never have problems getting good film, but if you're looking for budget stuff you may not be able to just wander in and get what you want every time.</p>

<p>Also, I too have yet to have a problem with Freestyle or their shipping charges. Is it possible that the 4x5 film holders you ordered were not in-stock items? If you got hit with a large shipping bill, it may have been because the holders were special order items, and they charged you the shipping to get them in the first place, in addition to the normal shipping bill.</p>

<p>Lastly, for cheap film I recommend Fuji 400 Superia+, or Max+, or whatever they call it. It's got some sort of 'bonus' in the name I remember. It's only some 50 cents per roll more than regular 400, and has an extra colour layer. I would buy that and shoot it at 200 (or even 100) instead of Superia 200 every time.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Also, I too have yet to have a problem with Freestyle or their shipping charges. Is it possible that the 4x5 film holders you ordered were not in-stock items? If you got hit with a large shipping bill, it may have been because the holders were special order items, and they charged you the shipping to get them in the first place, in addition to the normal shipping bill.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Nope. Stock items, shipped next day. Happened on both orders I placed with them.</p>

<p>The shipping surcharge was shown at checkout on both orders, it wasn't a surprise, it was just a disappointment.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<blockquote>

<p>What makes Adorama, B&H & Amazon so successful is not only cheaper prices, no taxes, but the ability to handle very high volumes.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I just read an article pointing out that online marketers have the advantage of a huge customer base, which enables them to stock everything. </p>

<p>Local retailers just can't afford that investment in stock that may move slowly.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p> BHPhoto has always been a good place for me. I just buy on-line and they ship it. No tricks or surprises. My items just show up when it's supposed to. There are no camera stores around here so I cannot buy film locally. I just buy film and then processing via mail. I like the new Portra film. It's very nice for hybrid photography. I have been trying to shoot up a roll for about 3 weeks but with work and never ending rain I have not been able to get out. Today is the day however and I will find something to snap for sure. Probably head down to Carmel or Point Lobos today. </p>

<p>Another +1 for Freestyle and Adorama which in addition to film will also ship most darkroom chemicals.</p>

<p>B&H is good for film and paper, but will not ship many darkroom chemicals. So if I have an order for film, paper and chemicals (and I usually do combine my orders to save on shipping fees), it usually goes to Freestyle or Adorama.</p>

<p>I have ordered from eCamera Films a few times.<br>

The film was good for my needs but was expired but they tried to hide that from me.<br>

They repack expired film cans that are expired and sell them in a boxes of 20 or 50 and just make up an expiration date and stick it on the side of the box. I know that as the films have the same looking canisters but the print on the actual rolls differ. But they are supposed to be from the same dated lot? I don't think so. Also some of the rolls were Kodak Select or other types that have not been made for years. <br>

Still give them a try. I was happy. Just realize what you are getting for you dollars.<br>

If it is too good to be true it is.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Brooks is right on with the chemicals comment. Freestyle all the way for chemicals. Adorama charges $20 for the one quart Diafine and Freestyle charges $20 for the gallon. B&H will ship the powder stuff (D76 , Xtol, et al) but no C41 liquid kits or E6 stuff. Freestyle!</p>