Not Taking Photos Much Anymore

nancy s.

<p>Haven't found much pleasure in taking photos in a long time now. It is a 'finished' project of late. The challenge has waned and I rarely even have a camera with me. Sometimes I bring a little Canon 550 Point and Shoot digital. <br>

Still get requests for pro work and still do shots and still get a ton of compliments (not sure if it is the photography or the price LOL).. just not much interest on my part. It has all become "a job." Still do it well when I do it but I rarely bother any more. <br>

The equipment gathers dust and interest in using it wanes. Not sure if it is just that it is less exciting than other interests (such as training German Shepherds for K9/drug detection work) or if I am simply done with it? <br>

Ever drop photography for a spell and pick it up again later? As in YEARS later? </p>

<p>I put down my Canon F-1s back in the late 90's and really didn't look at photography again until, oh, around 2008 when I thought digital was at a place I could work with which coincided w/ renewed interest in artistic explorations.</p>

<p>put them in plastic bags, take the battery out, put desiccant in and they'll be in the closet if/when the mood hits. Everything waxes and wanes, go with the flow and what makes you happy.</p>

<p>The short answer is, yes, for about 20 years; but I'm not sure the time is relevant. I think anything you do as a JOB will eventually wear you down to some extent, no matter howl passionate you were at the beginning. This is especially true if you find yourself doing the same thing and dealing with the same people (or their clones) day after day with no new challenges to stimulate your interest. Take a break, and take Howard's advice about storing your gear in the meantime. Or, try a different kind of photography. If you've been doing a lot of weddings, portraits, etc., take a stab a landscape, nature, macro, black & white, etc., and see if that wakes up your muse...</p>

<p>Jerry.. just want to let you know I have no interest in smoking, drinking and (especially) chasing women (yikes!)! LOL <br>

I think that perhaps I am just bored. I have fiddled with various types of photography and I have a complete dark room set up and can make prints up to 16X20 and LF prints (have the holders, lenses etc). Doing this, while satisfying in the end, is a HUGE time suck (and time is an issue). Computer work is not my interest.. I work on the 'puter M-F and sitting in front of it nights and weekends is OK if the weather is bad. Otherwise... I have to be paid to sit there. <br>

I have been trying to renew interest taking pictures of dogs doing bite work and training to do bite work as well as conformation shots.. but it is more challenging to train that it is to photograph it! Fact is, I could have made a pretty good buck at a few trials this past year and I did not even step up and offer. <br>

I think this is the first time I have posted on P Net in a long time! <br>

I think I will probably just hang it up for awhile. Of course, by the time I want to do this again there may not be anymore film! (No No.. I do NOT mean to start that debate again).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Ever drop photography for a spell and pick it up again later? As in YEARS later?"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yup. Other than taking snapshots with whatever P&S I had at the time, I've had a couple of spells that lasted a few years each of not pursuing photography seriously. Not so much due to losing interest as being busy with other creative outlets. The longest spell was probably between age 30-40 when I was more active in local theater. Too bad, I missed a lot of opportunities to get some photos. On the other hand, maybe it was better to be in the moment rather than fussing over documenting the moment from the perspective of a detached observer.</p>

<p>From time to time you hear about folks quitting their primary career in order to pursue their passion, often from a more regimented domain into the arts, or someone switching from a corporate 9-5 to become a small business owner trading stability and predictability for autonomy as their primary motivator. </p>

<p>I think you'll know when it's time for a change (or changing back), but just in case training German Shepherds for K9/drug detection gets to you in the future, don't completely abandon your camera - stay current and relevant because photography will have evolved hugely in just a few short years.</p>

>>> Ever drop photography for a spell and pick it up again later? As in YEARS later?

Not yet. But I would def put photography aside if I ever lost interest and passion about subject matter I

shoot. Why photograph stuff you aren't naturally passionate about?

www.citysnaps.net

<p>Have not lost interest in 20 years although lately, the past 7 months or so, I have not been taking as many pictures as I used to. It mostly has to do with lack of time, bad weather, bad knee which limits my movements, lack of assignments, lack of travel funds, motivation, and laziness. Excuses, excuses next year I plan to put allot of effort in to improve my photography, I mean I got a long way to go ! </p>

<p>You make me feel old now that I have looked back. Off and on for the last 50 years. Scary. Now I'm 60 and wondering where all those photos ended up. Did someone find some of them and decide to cherish them or did they just drop them on the floor and move on? The real question is "Does the lack of interest make you sad or just relieved?" On the wheel of life things come and go as the wheel turns, which raises other questions "How big is your wheel? Will you live long enough for your wheel to bring the passion back? And the big one - Does it matter?" After all, if you are enjoying your life at the moment you're on a winner. Yesterday is a memory and tomorrow never arrives, which leaves us with "Now". I suggest you enjoy the "Now" because in an eyeblink it will be a memory. May as well make it a good memory.</p>

<p>I've always found it interesting that people with a real knack at some sort of art, where they gain, or can gain a certain amount of recognition and ability to make money at it, get bored with whatever the process is and quit. This of course does not mean that they never return to it, just that they quit. Maybe it's an inspiration thing, or a been there done that thing or they just need to explore other things. In my life I've seen at least two real examples of just super talented people that up and quit and from what I learned of, or know of, never went back. I would have thought that if you can make a living at something you enjoy you've hit the sweet spot in life, but I guess that's not the case. Of course if there are other influences in your life I can see getting waylaid so to say. I stopped really getting involved in photography for 20+ years before I bought another kit and started exploring the world around me. Since then, and as I do not work at it as a career, it's been one of the passions in my life in which I have helped others, made a little money, enjoyed conversation in forums such as this one and others, and traveled places recording images as I went. I don't think a balanced life without photography will ever happen to me, but I do enjoy respites and giving attention to other interests, especially gardening.</p>

<p><em>"Ever drop photography for a spell and pick it up again later? As in YEARS later?"</em></p>

<p>Yes, unfortunately. I call that my my "1980s Period." I cannot think why I was so dumb then: from late '79 to early '90.... nada! It still feels like a HUGE HOLE to me.</p>

<p>I saw a terrific Joan Jett / Blackhearts show at the Vogue (small Indy club) in '84 and would give my EYETEETH to have shot at least a roll... what an idiot...<br>

Same with Zappa then, Tom Petty, Scorpions... deep purple, the who... man did I screw up.</p>

<p>All the parties and independent small time rock bands too. Nothing.</p>