New Apple I-Phone 4G

<p>I doubt that it will be any more relevant for photographers specifically than any other cell phone with a camera. Which is to say, very handy and useful, but not something that most would consider a serious tool for photography.</p>

<p>Then again, what do I know. There are plenty of people making amazing images with "not serious" tools.</p>

<p>the screen is what should be catching photog's attention, pun intended. 326pixels per inch. That quality of screen is going to make media browsing very attractive, and extrapolating out to the 3rd gen iPad, wow. It does look to have a decent enough for a cell phone camera, but it's the consumption aspects, along with the mobile video editing, which may make for some neat possibilities in the future.</p>

<p>There is a light meter app for the iPhone. As far as I know, this is the only phone that can be used as an exposure meter. Relevant to those of us who often use meterless cameras. Don't see any new benefit in the 4 though.</p>

<p><< But what if E.T. was a photographer ? <em >I-Phone home</em>. >></p>

<p>Totally relevant - not only will he be able to call home, he will be able to use live video to show Mom and Dad how the earthlings look like. ;)</p>

<p>The I-Phone camera's capabilities are very relevant, in the worst possible way. Already, with the previous version, I've had friends show me their photographs and suggest that it is all one needs. They are so proud of their photos, and so convinced that their telephone can do no wrong, that it is difficult to dissuade them. One friend showed me a photograph she made of a horse jumping over a barrier at an equestrian event. She thought it a wonderful photograph, and I didn't feel like pointing out the motion blur or anything else. Particularly since the I-Phone has a certain panache (and at thirty dollars a month extra for the data capability, users pay for it) I'm sure that pros will lose jobs to the imagined capabilities of the I-Phone.</p>

<p>On the other hand, as Robert pointed out, the screen will make it much easier for anyone to show their photographs in a small display of very high quality. That part is a positive thing.</p>

<p>One of the phone makers (Qualcom?) had tried putting a semi serious camera in one of their phones a couple (?) of years ago. As I recall, it was a 5 MP with a reasonably fast Zeiss lens. I don't think anyone noticed.</p>

<p>If I wanted a phone to take pictures with, I'd rather have one of <a href="http://www.trustedreviews.com/mobile-phones/news/2010/06/07/Motorola-Unveils-8MP-Android-XT720-Without-MotoBLUR/p1"><strong>these</strong></a>. 8MP, flash, SD card slot, 8 gigs memory, 720p HD video recording. Not to mention the other things like apps and, oh yeah, a phone that you can actually talk to someone with if you wanted to do that too.</p>

<p>Larger, back lit sensor, larger lens (I assume greater maximum aperture? Not sure). Should take less noisy pictures, and perform better in low light, though we'll see plenty of test results in the coming weeks.<br>

It's an incrementally better camera than before that will always be in the pocket of millions of people. Billions of snapshots will be taken, many of them bad, but a percentage of those picture takers will become interested in learning more about photography to make better pictures.<br>

Meanwhile, people with an eye for photography will take <a href="../photo/10809812">important pictures</a> with it that will delight families and friends. They may be noisier than large format transparencies, the color won't be as accurate as Kodachrome, but they will tell stories and document lives and allow us to communicate with others in a manner unlike any that we've ever known before. The old guard will complain and reminisce about The Way Things Used to Be while the next generation learns and creates. Decades in the future photographers will say "I've been shooting pictures since 2010 when I got my first iPhone" the way Ken now says "I have been shooting pictures since 1965 when I got my first cheap roll film camera."<br>

TL;DR - professionals won't shoot weddings with it, but the iPhone is relevant to photography in general.</p>

<p>iPhone photos here http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8022 (scroll down to third message by SRW) - and to be honest they're better quality and more imaginative than many images I've seen from 'normal' cameras. Dont scoff at what a skilled operator can do with a tool. (ps I have no connection with these images or photog - just thought they were very good).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Looks like it will be relevant for photographers. What do you think?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Mary, why don't you state why you think the product is relevant for photographers rather than asking everyone else to guess what you mean? I don't know any photographers that shoot professionally that would use a phone for either stills or HD video - so, there has to be something else that you feel photographers would use, what is it?</p>

>>> I don't know any photographers that shoot professionally that would use a phone for either stills or HD

video...<P>

Who qualified the discussion with <I>professional</i> photographers? Cell phone cams are

very relevant. <P>

>>> - so, there has to be something else that you feel photographers would use, what is it?<P>

Easy. That's where one's imagination, vision, eye, etc come into play.

www.citysnaps.net

<p>Mark E. is right-on here. To talk of cell phone cams strictly in pixel peeping terms is myopic at best. I know many professionals, including a few considered to be among the worlds best photographic artists, who love their cell phone cams. I shoot most of my more "serious" projects with medium and large format film, but I've been carrying a P&S digital for several years and it has been perfect for some "hunt and gather" type projects that I will certainly publish at some point. It appears that iphone 4 will now have a camera equal to a decent P&S (circa a few years ago). I'm all over it, one less piece of crap (my old P&S) to carry around.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>>>> I don't know any photographers that shoot professionally that would use a phone for either stills or HD video...<br>

Who qualified the discussion with <em>professional</em> photographers? Cell phone cams are very relevant.<br>

>>> - so, there has to be something else that you feel photographers would use, what is it?<br>

Easy. That's where one's imagination, vision, eye, etc come into play.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Okay Brad - rather than floating a rather obtuse response to a direct question...why don't you use some of that "imagination, vision, eye, etc." to tell me why this phone would be relevant for photographers?</p>

<p>I've seen shows done with phone cameras and they're fine, but really not anything that much different than work done 20 years ago with a Diana or like camera. I'm all for alternative cameras but, using a low res phone cam isn't much different than using a low res point and shoot. In fact, I had an Eddie Bauer 110 camera that I used extensively in the early 1980's to make poster size prints for a show. So, please tell me what this phone does that a photographer may need.</p>