How many exposures?

<p>In 35mm I prefer 12 exposure rolls but can't find them anymore. 24 is fine too but 36 is too many. In some family events or weddings(personal use) 36 is fine but I usually shoot "assignments"(just for myself) and even 24 takes too long. In 120 I get 15 exposures which is just right.</p>

<p>Brian,<br>

I feel your pain.I too used to love those 'short' rolls for fast turn around on quicky projects (especially Kodak & Agfa material) unfortunately they were the first to go when the contraction of the film product line started to take hold.Packaging cost played a large part too.Since I shoot mostly slide film it was just as sad to watch the 24 exposure rolls go in recent years.The film manufacturers don't have a lot of choice anymore due to the digital tidal wave other than produce in volume or stop supporting the consumer market.This is one area where digital wins, not unlike Polaroid in the early days.My best answer would be to save the film for larger projects or plan a couple projects back to back.On the other hand unused film sitting in the camera body holds up extremely well for long periods of time these days if a lot of ambient heat is not involved. </p>

I never worried about using all the frames on a film. I was only charged for the number of prints and processing was the same for the film. If I only had 28 exposures on a film I wouldn't worry about getting another 8 shots, I just had it developed. I realize that seems wasteful. I would load a few feet of bulk film if I knew I only wanted a few shots to test out a new flash or lens and develop it myself.
James G. Dainis

<p>I like James's response. Film isn't that expensive. It may be a good trade to waste a few frames of film instead of wasting time. I remember when we would run internal trials on new films. We would hand out film, require the film to be returned by a certain date, and provide free processing. Nobody wanted to waste frames. It was common to find images of the driveway and the ride to work on the morning the film was to be returned. I will also admit that I'm in favor of anything that will boost the Rochester economy and keep film production going. I still have friends there.</p>

<p>Shoot b/w, and learn to process it yourself.</p>

<p>Then you can shoot 12 exposures, go into darkroom, snip the exposed film, and put just the exposed film into developing tank. Turn on lights, trim remaining unexposed 35mm b/w film as needed, and attach it to the camera's take-up spool. Close back, and camera is ready for next assignment.</p>

<p>Develop the b/w film that's in the loading tank, and all's well.</p>

<p>Two obvious choices that I see (if you do not want to increase your shooting)</p>

<p>1) Waste a few frames.</p>

<p>2) If you shoot enough, but not all in one shoot, bulk load yourself. Buy a 100 foot roll of your favorite film and load as much or as little as you like from 6 frames to over 40 frames per roll. Be careful you do not exceed the developing tank reel limit.</p>

<p>I don't shoot much either, I am low volume and everything planned out, I only do scape photog.</p>

<p>What I found is that development without printing is the same, so I just get 36 shots over 24 and waste a few shots if need be. Only reason you may consider 24 is maybe when you are getting prints done, a roll of 24 developed and printed would be cheaper than 36 developed and printed. If just development they are the same from the labs I use. A roll is a roll to them. </p>

<p>However one of the reason of going to medium format is to get lesser shots per roll ...... By the roll it is cheaper, development it is cheaper, if printing again cheaper cos less to print.</p>

<p>For b/w film, rolling your rolls could be cheaper but it is not that efficient. It requires more time to load the film yourself and maybe more equipment and time spent. Provided of course you have some dark space to do it like a wardrobe or a darkroom to do the initial part, I know that you can get developing tanks that can be done in daylight but has to be prepared in a dark place. Also each roll you have a bit of slack room at the start and at the end of the roll there is more wastage. One longer roll woudl provide more shots than 2 or 3 shorter rolls. Also as I understand color slide film for bulk films when you calculate it up, isn't more cheaper than commercial rolls pre-made sourced from shops like B&H. Not sure about b/w film thou ..... but certainly bulk film loading does give you the extra freedom.</p>

<p>There are still a few types of 12exp rolls. Mostly though just get 24 or 36 exp rolls and if you don't use them all no worries. A 24exp roll isn't much more then a 12exp roll, maybe a dollar and a 36 exp isn't much more then the 24exp, again maybe a dollar more. Sure that can add up, but if you are shooting so much film that a dollar or two ends up adding up to $100+ by the end of the year, you are shooting enough that you shouldn't be using 12 exp rolls anyway. To me roll length is only limiting if I have to wait more then a month to develop the roll because of how long it takes to use it all. YMMV, but unless you want same day turn around, why sweat it? I probably average 2 rolls a month of 36exp so I am happy enough.</p>