What camera are you "focusing" on now (pun intended)?

<p>It's time to check in on everyone and see what we're all up to. What cameras are you devoting most of your attention to at the moment? Being the avid enthusiasts that we all are, it's a question that could be answered in a completely different manner tomorrow, but for now, what cameras are receiving most of your attention? For me it's the Olympus OM-1n; I did manage to snag the 28mm lens for it as well as a Zuiko 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5 short zoom. This camera is simply a work of art. Also the Konica Autoreflex T has gotten a lot of stage time because Michael Smith really got my curiosity piqued with his excellent shots and presentation last week. Lastly, my Canon EF has also been calling to me very loudly, so I'll probably be shooting with it in the coming week. Then there's my 7D, a simply phenomenal camera, but that's a tale for another forum. What are you shooting?</p>

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Well for one, I'm still waiting on my scans from my Yashica A TLR to see if medium format is for me. I just love how classic the Yashica is, so I hope I get some good scans. I'm also getting introduced to the Mamiya line of 35mm SLR by way of a beautiful condition nc1000s that I just happened across at a thrift store. Just an excellent camera!</p>

<p>Original Canon F-1 with 24 f2.8 and 50 f1.4 both chrome nose and motor drive unit with corded battery pack, finally located missing 10 cell AA magazine to power MDU at 15volt DC and 3.5 FPS.<br>

Other camera using at the moment, Leica M1 with 50 f2.8 Elmar M..............these are two of my favorites as we speak...I'll turn to others in my stable as the weeks wear on.</p>

<div>00VauT-213621784.JPG.90a1e437436908461b0169bc78cc04d5.JPG</div>

<p>My "adoption" this week plus is a Zorki 4 from 1958. It arrived from Ukraine a little dusty, musty and sooted! Cleaned, lubed and adjusted with a few tips from Mr.Rick Oleson, the good teacher [may his tribe increase!]. Now it is working silken smooth; love the knob wind, [can operate with the tip of my fingers] vulcanite covering and engraved numerals and Cyrillic logo. Looks and feels new, very quiet. If there are cameras that can revive production this would be one, just for its simplicity and basic elegance. Regards, sp</p>

<p>Hi, Andy -</p>

<p>Glad you're liking your OM-1, I really enjoyed mine for all the time I had them. Ultimately reliable, what a design.</p>

<p>For this spring I'll be concentrating on using my M-6, 35-50-90 lenses. Seems foolish to have it and not make it the mainstay of the collection. I favor slides, Velvia results are spectacular. Will try for a Yosemite trip in May or June, always the chance of rain, but what a place. Along with the Leica I often carry a Retina IIa with Xenon lens, primarily for B&W's.</p>

<p>I live in central Western Oregon, (Springfield,) just on the West side of the Cascade Mountain range. Eagerly awaiting spring, photography here offers plenty of diversity, green grasslands and trees near me, then we have high desert country just over the mountains to the East, about a two hour drive. The desert is great for blossoming flowers and fruit trees, plus old barns and other buildings. The rangefinders will be lot's of fun to crank up and run some film through.</p>

<p>Looking forward to seeing some results from your OM-1, always enjoy viewing the latest projects you're working on. Keep 'em coming.</p>

<p>Patrick </p>

<p>I am just about to post about my first outing with my first Leitz lenses, a 9cm Elmar and 13.5cm Hektor mounted on my Fed-3. Had a blast in Miami Beach with this gear last weekend. The thread will be up soon, including an account of the mods necessary to mount the Hektor.</p>

<p>I just dusted off my GAF LC-M, a rebadged Chinon. I have some lighter, more sophisticated cameras, but I love the heft, feel and look of this rock solid, dead reliable black beauty. It needs a self-timer lever, and I can't decide whether to keep the original guitar-amp vynyl or try real black leather. If this were a car it would be a '68 charger like the one in the movie "Bullit" minus the fiery explosion.</p>

<p>I'm prepping my Leicaflex SL for use in the next week or so. This last week I was using a Nikon EM which I picked up in fine working condition from the Salvation Arm for $8 (including the 50mm lens). Will develop that roll probably near the end of this week.</p>

<p>I'm prepping my Leicaflex SL2 for use in the next week or so. This last week I was using a Nikon EM which I picked up in fine working condition from the Salvation Arm for $8 (including the 50mm lens). Will develop that roll probably near the end of this week.</p>

<p>I recently acquired a Pentax ESII to go with my M42 SMC Takumars. I may play with them while my Mamiya Super 23 kit is still in the shop. Also wanting to spend more time with the Minolta CLE. I use Canon FD gear regularly but I can't say I focus on it. Using the F-1n is like breathing, I depend on it but I really don't give it a second thought. Anyway, all this 35mm stuff is going on the shelf once the Super 23 arrives.</p>

<p>Slowly working on the Spotmatic F I've owned since 1974. I have the mirror bumper replaced and need to do the light seals. The meter is responding and appears to be more-or-less the same as my K-mount Pentax bodies. I bought a Super-Takumar 28mm f3.5 off of Ebay, in very nice shape. Eric Hendrickson is having a sale on CLAs for several Pentax models and I think I will send off my Spotmatic and Spotmatic F for the full treatment (tempted to throw in a back-up ME Super body I have).<br /> <br>

Is it me, or are the prices on M42 Takumars and other Pentax legacy lenses starting to ramp up?</p>

Unless I get side tracked (happens a lot, I'm definitely ADS positive) I want to concentrate on 35mm.

The past two years I've been going through my Graflexes, Zeiss Folders, Yashica and other TLRS all MF stuff.

I've just ordered 100ft of Legacy Pro 35mmm film and I want to use some neglected items. I've really not

used SLRs at all in the last 2 years including that Minolta XD-7 and my dearly loved TANK the Yashica

FX-2. I'm looking for obscure and little known beaters that I can get for nothing... I can't be buying

much of anythng! No money!!

<p>I've been shooting Kodachrome in my trusty beater Leica M4-2 and 35mm Summicron this weekend in Baltimore's rainy weather. Not a lot of color, but when there is some, it's good. Dwayne's will be getting the film in a day or two. Didn't use the Minolta XD-11, maybe next time it will get a spin around town.</p>

<p>I'm still playing with my Koni-Omega Rapid. I shot two test rolls with it a couple of weeks ago ( the weather has been abysmal here since) one with the prime, and one with the 58mm I also aquired. The lenses are outstanding, and I have to keep the Koni, and my RB in seperate rooms so they don't fight. </p>

<p>I've been cleaning, fixing and re-foaming a bunch of old fixed lens RFs I have trying to run film through them and see what comes out. Just loaded some Ilford HP5 into my Konica Auto S3. I'd probably say I'm "focusing" on that one but I just fixed up a dirty Konica C35 (and it came out pretty darned well) and I'm interested in taking that through it's paces as well.</p>

<p>I've been focusing on making an inventory of the things I don't want or use then sell it so it won't interfere with photography.<br />I have spent too much time messing with cameras and not enough time making photos. I joke about having an uncontrollable urge to obtain cameras and related items, it's just said in fun but I am going for a new direction and limit "messing with cameras" and concentrate on photography.<br />I'll keep and use these: <br />35mm SLR- Canon FD, T90, EF, FTb, A-1, AT-1 and F-1n. Nikon- FE-2, new to me, limit this line to a small kit. Canon EOS3<br />Rangefinders- Olympus 35RD, Konica Auto S2<br />TLR- Mr. Maynard's Rolleiflex Automat MX<br />MF SLR- Mamiya M645<br />P&S- Olympus Stylus Epic, Pentax PC35AF, Brownie Hawkeye and Brownie Hawkeye with reversed lens element</p>

<p>Undecided- Olympus XA & XA2, Canon AF35MII & Sure Shot Supreme, Pentax Spotmatic SP, Olympus PEN EES-2</p>

<p>Focus on repair by me- Auto S2,<br />Focus on repair by a professional- F-1n and 35RD.</p>

<p>Currently focusing on using- Stylus Epic to see if it is "all that", M645, FE-2 and choose one FD to use in February.</p>

One camera I plan to use more is my recently-acquired Leicaflex:

http://www.photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00VUnx

One of the shots I posted here (above link) is a street photo I liked so much that I went out three times last week (with digital equipment) because I was so interested in more street photography. A temporary digression... I'll get back to classics and that Leicaflex soon.

--Marc

<p>Well, I too am trying out my "new" OM-1. It is hard to put this camera down. I just love the look and feel of it. I also purchased a 35-70 f/3.5-4.8 zoom, and 200mm f/4 from KEH. I also just replaced the capacitor in my "new" free Minolta X9, although I suppose it is not a classic or a manual it does have manual exposure capabilities so, that will be my next toy to try out. It is also a very "slick" little camera with a very quiet shutter.</p>