5D MKII here it is

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 3.9 fps rate is probably

related to compact flash write bandwidth limit

and increased file size due to higher resolution.

I'm just a begginer but I'm already starting to feel some of the limitations in my Rebel XTi,

so I'll probably be buying one by Christmas :-)

"Yes Mark but at 20+ MP you are working diminishing returns.

Diffraction, as has been pointed out, makes f16 and higher pictures less sharp than f11 pictures, there is little point

in going to much higher MP's in the 35mm format. The numbers game works in the Best Buy type arena but when

you are talking about ultimate image quality then the people in the 1DS market don't care about the numbers they

just want the IQ.

Canon themselves say the 5D MkII gives the best IQ of any DSLR they make to date, that effectively kills the 1DS

MkIII and it makes it seem very over priced at 3 times the money.

It will be very interesting to see how this all pans out."

I dont know what have they said about the 1DsMkIII ? is it diffraction limited, I have not heard of any problems. Can

some one tell us a little about that ? preferably some one who actually ownes one

Well lets see, my thoughts:

1) In Camera Video. Working photojournalist have grown to hate that they are often expected to shoot video clips for newspaper websites / associated TV stations. This gives them a camera capable of delivering quality digital video without having to switch between still and video cameras.

2) On the various 1D's. The real strength of the 1D MIII is that you can be tackled by the police while covering a political convention and camera and (L lens) will likely survive. As pointed out the Ds is dead. I keep hearing rumors about a Canon Digital Medium Format.

3) Most sports shooters at some point have used cameras with around 5 fps, they'll either live or continue to use a 1D.

4) The megapixil wars will continue until we reach "rule of thumb" level (i.e. 35MP is max useful resolution for 35mm film sized sensor).

5) This is a no choice camera. With Nikon, Canon and Sony now in 20+ MP range the market for professional photos is going to demand 20+ MP shots.

6) Kodak's quest for film that if scanned at X-MPs shows no grain (i.e. can fake digital) just got harder. 2600-500(use medium format kit) / $10/roll film + processing (optimistic) = 210 rolls. Assume a 2 year life cycle on the camera = 105 rolls/year to break even (not counting price of a film scanner). Depends how much future proofing you can get out of the negatives I guess.

Hi Ross,

Read this

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/diffraction-photography.htm

It is just straight forward physics, not a manufacturer issue but it lays down finite f stops with pixel size, very good scrolling graphics make this far and away the best example I have seen that explains the physics involved, interestingly if you want sharp resolution at small apertures you need older cameras!

Hi David,

That is my point though, at the moment the diffraction is not limiting but when you make the pixels small enough to fit 30+ million on a 36x24mm area (as is speculated for the next 1DS) then it will.

I am sure Canon, Nikon and Sony all know where this is leading, I was just commenting, the 5D MkII is such a good camera, assuming it works as it is supposed to, that the pro models are going to struggle to have worthwhile benefits that make their pricing realistic. I used to shoot with F1N's, top of the line sport cameras that did 5fps, I could very happily live with that again, I used to use my 300mm as a 300mm, I would happily do that again. Canon have made a digital camera that surpasses the best FD cameras they ever made and they don't need film, auto focus and video it whilst you make a cup of tea! It won't be long till the 1VHS is surpassed. That was all I ever wanted from digital.

Very true Scott. And the difference between 36x24 sensors and those little pea sized ones on P+S cameras is that you HAVE to use F11 or greater to maximize depth of field. It's much easier to get away with on a P+S camera because they have an inherintly broad depth of field at wide (relative) apertures because of their tiny sensors.

Not to mention that P&S cameras are going to be limited by noise long before they are by diffraction anyways (which is really just a function of print size in the end, who prints 36x48" from a P&S?)

Oh, and it seems the AF system is exactly the same as in 5D -- only the central AF point is the cross type. Seems like the 50D AF is better -- that's not a good thing...

As to diffraction, just look at the pixel size and the Airy disk size. The 5DMk2 has 6.4nm pixels. At f/11 the Airy disk has 14.8nm diameter -- I'd certainly call that diffraction-limited. At f/8 the Airy disk is 10.7nm, and at f/5.6 -- 7.5nm.

Kaa

If you want to shoot video....Buy a video camera! What an upsetting waste to put into a DSLR. I bet ya there is still a print button that can not be cofigured into some sort of custom app.( A friggn' PRINT button, I still have not forgave Canon for that one!) I think my 5d will be just fine for a couple more years.

Later Lemmings

Looks very impressive - I'm tempted. A few things I'd miss from the 1D III though.

1) dual card slots for peace of mind.

2) more rugged design.

3) 10 fps

4) AF speed (only 9 points).

5) Vertical grip.

6) Customisation.

7) Speed (dual processors).

I wonder about the ISO performance though - sounds good. But the 1Ds III has a reputation for being noisy with all those pixels pacted into the chip. New technology should have improved the situation, but just wonder how it compares to the 1D III for noise at ISO 3200.

<i>If you want to shoot video....Buy a video camera! What an upsetting waste to put into a DSLR. I bet ya there is still a

print button that can not be cofigured into some sort of custom app.( A friggn' PRINT button, I still have not forgave Canon

for that one!) I think my 5d will be just fine for a couple more years.</i>

<p>

Looks like somebody needs to take a reading class. And maybe consider that any video camera I could buy probably

won't accept my EF lenses (duh). The video option really "upsets" you? Is it haunting you in your sleep or something? It

doesn't look like Canon sacrificed anything to put it in there... is it just envy, perhaps?