5D MKII here it is

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes -- all this hype from us fan boys and two solid months or more before we commoners can expect one delivered. Sigh............... Just being a solid member of EOS Forum on PN should be worth something, you think?

Here's hoping Bob Atkins gets one super early to test.

I am getting my game play ready for my wife to help break the news that I need (not "want") FF and 21 MP for large prints... you only live once.

"Canon have shot themselves in the foot so successfully regarding 1Ds Mk III sales"

My guess is that the 1Ds series has always been intended to be a loss leader, and that Canon never expected them to be profitable. Having bragging rights to the best dSLR has to be worth a lot.

Also, the corporate camera pool market is a big part of the pro camera market, and that market is probably already saturated as far as the 1DsIII is concerned.

Furthermore, with the Sony 24MP camera out, the 1DsIII doesn't look like the slam-dunk best any more, evn though it is.

I was expecting a "compromise" of 18MP: enough to outclass the D700 but less than the 1DsIII. But presumably Canon saw the 24MP Sony coming and realized they had to be at least close.

"Having bragging rights to the best dSLR has to be worth a lot.

18MP: enough to outclass the D700 "

You seem to have in your head David that the higher the MP, the better the camera. It is my experience that this is usually quite the opposite. It is all about ruggedness, speed, and reliability. In a pro camera, the IQ goes without saying. I haven't seen any indepth review that has put the 1DsMkIII as the best. In fact I have seen a few that have stated that the Nikon D3 is THE best. But all of a sudden, Sony bring out a camera with 24mp and without you even seeing an image from this camera, or used the camera, you have assumed that your self titled "best 35mm DSLR camera" award may be in jepeordy!

"You seem to have in your head David that the higher the MP, the better the camera"

Yep. Within the range that lens performance keeps up and noise doesn't become a problem (ranges the P&S cameras have long since exceeded), ability to record detail is very important in photography, especially in landscape work. That's why people with budgets shoot MF digital and people with patience shoot LF.

"In a pro camera, the IQ goes without saying."

There are some mathematical realities about imaging that "ruggedness, speed, and reliability" have nothing to do with. Pixels size (and well depth) for DR and number of pixels for resolution are largely unrelated to the marketing class (pro/amateur) of the camera. Especially in this day and age when mfrs use the same electronics across the whole camera range (which is why dSLRs now have the "face recognition" AF silliness.)

"It is all about ruggedness, speed, and reliability"

Not for landscape, pictorial, art photography. For folks in the 6x6 and larger film class, the 5D is by far the most rugged, fastest, and reliable camera we've ever owned. (Really: the Mamiya 7 and 500C are nowhere close.) The 5D isn't a sports/PJ camera. It's a landscape, portrait, wedding camera. And more than adequate mechanically for those purposes.

If you are making images interesting enough to print large and interesting enough that viewers will come in for a closer look, MF, LF, and other high quality photographs can have an incredible beauty to them. The 5DII _might_ get one step closer to that. (Sure, it's only a 28% increase in resolution. But that's about the same difference as the difference between 645 and 6x7; a difference I found to be a lot larger than expected when I finally bought a Mamiya 7.)

"If you are making images interesting enough to print large and interesting enough that viewers will come in for a closer look, MF, LF, and other high quality photographs can have an incredible beauty to them."

I agree. The 5DII is not a 'toss it in the back of a jeep' rugged "Arnie" piece of kit, but apparently something tantalizingly located between 67/645 MF and pro DSLR small format, with the supreme benefit of being able to employ EF lenses. Increase the sensor size and you will need yet another all-electronic mount lens range.

Cheers

Tony T

Bryan mentions extra computing horsepower...I just upgraded to a new computer in part with the expectation that the new 5D would have larger files and I would need the horsepower. Looks like a good call now.

As a landscape photographer I can't wait for this to come out.

"Canon EOS 5D MkII is $2700, lower than Nikon's $3000 for the 12MP D700" It almost seems as though, with this statement, that mp seems to be the single determining factor for price. Or is this guy sponsored by Canon? Comparing cameras on price and making an assumption on the value of the camera on review purely based on mp is quite misleading and could one day result in groups of people drooling over a camera that they have never layed eyes on posted ludicrous post on internet forums judg............................

I second dg wish, their 45 & 90 TS-E are excellent glass but the 24 TS-E suffers a little, one of Canon's problems. Lot people mention diffraction will be limiting factor and they are correct. But I also see Canon is upgrading their wide angle 24mm f/1.4L which is a great thing. I'm sure Canon realizes that as they get higher and higher resolution with their camera's they are going to have to start making better lenses, probably why they are coming out with 24mm f/1.4L II. Also have to remember that Carl Zeiss is making lenses now with Canon's mount, which is a awesome thing and should make buyers of these 21MP camera's a happy camper, I know I am.Can't wait to get mine, hopefully before Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...
This is what I was afraid of with the early looks at this camera: everyone critiques and provides samples of the video, not its still capability. The only reason I would buy the 5d mkii if its still capabilities were a distinct improvement over other options, not on paper, but as reviewed.