5D MKII here it is

No just IE. But yes its slow. It opened for me then crashed.

.Kaa> I know, but I want to see some that you and I would take at a play with a 85 1.2L at ISO6400 to see what it

gives us. You know...a real stress test. We already know what all the other models give at these settings. Would it

be alot

better or about what we've already seen from the 1Ds. Canon always posts images of "ideal" conditions. I wish I

always worked in "ideal" conditions, but more often than not I dont. But just curious if the hype was deserving or if its

typical over hype/expectations. Or do we really have some meaningfull improvements? The 50D looked like a good

jump...only time will tell.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know. Isnt it odd though that the 5D has the potential to produce superior images to the 1Ds. I'm sure you're right, but not totally out of question. We've seen DSLR updates pretty frequently here in the last year. The 40D was barley 1yr old and I was in the process of selling mine due to 1D3 purchase and bang...50D. Know, I may as well keep it. Have a good backup I guess. Now the 1D3 is more than a year old and with all the AF issues behind them and trying to move forward, who's to say they dont toss a little "n" on that baby and finish out Photokina with a bang. Or, maybe just wishfull thinkin.

Response to David's 1st question:

Canon tends to put new technologies and features in their consumer/prosumer cameras before their pro line. This gives them an idea of

how the new features work in the field so they can tweak/improve before putting on their 1 series cameras. It's just like when the EOS 3

was released in '98 and some of its new features were implemented in the EOS-1V two years later.

Sorry Landrum I can't agree,

Unless you are a Canon Master of Light or work for VII then I don't see how or why anybody would buy a 1DS MkIII. The 5D MkII is plenty rugged enough for 99.9% of users. The 1D MkIII still has a place, at 10 fps and the effect of making your $4,000 300mm f2.8 an effective $6,800 390 (400) mm f2.8. The 1DS MkIII at $8,000 is dead, very interested to watch the auction values of these once the 5D MkII is on the shelves. Not slagging anybody off just interesting the way progress pushes on so fast.

When I first went digital I was reluctant, I wanted my 1VHS's in digital form, the key points were full frame and 10fps with a similar resolution to the film I was using at comparable ISO's. Well just a few short years later and we are very nearly there, the ISO is there (to all intents and purposes) the resolution is there at 20+MP, again in practical terms, now if we get the build of the 1 series at FF (1DS MkIII) and 10fps (1D MkIII) we are there. I would pay $8,000 for that, and probably will in April!

I was planning to wait another year or so before upgrading from my current 5D, but the Mk.2 looks so good, I don't know if I'll be able to restrain myself. If it was over $3000, it would be easier to wait, but at $2700, I may be getting myself a very nice Christmas present.

"As to "real photos", keep in mind that this camera looks to be diffraction-limited above f/8 or so. And at f/2.8 you're mostly looking at your lens' shortcomings, instead of the sensor's."

The old 5D is fine at f/16, and the 5DII will be fine at f/11. That moves the hyperfocal distance for a 20mm lens from 1 meter at f/16 to 2 meters at f/11. That is a significant consideration for landscape types.

At f/4.0 and wider, one sees softness with the old 5D, so that's just the way things work. At the same print size, the 5DII should provide _slightly_ sharper images with the same lens at the funky f stops, but only slightly (this is because system MTF is a product of component MTFs). Again, lenses being funky at or near wide open isn't news, so it shouldn't be seen as a big deal.

More generally, the more resolution one wants, the harder one has to work to get it (better lenses, more optimal f stops, heavier tripod); you don't get better images for free. So, yes, the 5DII will be harder to use than the 5D if one wants the 28% improved linear resolution its pixel count implies.

>To Peter Langfelder[[is it just me, or does the landscape (particularly the dry land in the background) look like it's

computer generated? The green stuff, whatever it is, lacks any texture.]]

It moss. It never has texture in photos because its so fine and the wide shot is so far away. To get any texture you'd

need to have a Macro and be 2" away from it. Its normal. The images look as good as any for the scene/conditions.

The real images produced once the review guys get them will tell the story. Not the ones who shoot test charts, but

ones who go into challenging enviornments to see what the camera gives.

Remember when Sigma came out with its 14mp Foveon crap. All the images they showed from it looked like they

came from a Phase One MF. And probably did. Once real photographers grabbed hold of these things and jumped

into real world photography they found the images looked no better than old Canon 10D stuff. But Sigma did a good

job at putting the camera in position to shine long enough to post samples of what it "might" do if everything was

perfect. So far, they look pretty promising though, and a little lower in price than most thought.

I was planning to wait another year or so before upgrading from my current 5D, but the Mk.2 looks so good, I don't know if

I'll be able to restrain myself. If it was over $3000, it would be easier to wait, but at $2700, I may be getting myself a very

nice Christmas present.

Well you have a very nice Xmas.

My take:

If the 5DMkII performs as advertised this will be an excellent and well priced successor to the 5D (and I for one will

upgrade from my existing 5D)

Canon has moved ahead of SonyNikon in terms of sensor technology (resolution/ISO balance) (other aspects may

be arguable)

The MP race is heating up, not slowing down. Canon is making an emphatic statement: 21MP is for the midrange,

NOT the next flagship. The 1Ds replacement will come soon, and will be 30+ MP, if not 40+. In Canon's view, the

just released A900 and presumed equivalent Nikon will be competing at a lower level than Canon's new flagship.

SonyNikon has succeeded in forcing Canon to lift their game, but has to get back on the front foot to compete

against a resurgent Canon.

Yes Mark but at 20+ MP you are working diminishing returns.

Diffraction, as has been pointed out, makes f16 and higher pictures less sharp than f11 pictures, there is

little point in going to much higher MP's in the 35mm format. The numbers game works in the Best Buy type arena

but when you are talking about ultimate image quality then the people in the 1DS market don't care about the

numbers they just want the IQ.

Canon themselves say the 5D MkII gives the best IQ of any DSLR they make to date, that effectively kills the 1DS

MkIII and it makes it seem very over priced at 3 times the money.

It will be very interesting to see how this all pans out.