I'm all Eyes- Let's see how Lens Signature affects Photographs

ray .

I'm still with Ray.Other than specific aspects of a specific lens for a specific intent, i don't see

summicrons,summiluxes, "L"s, "FD"s,distagons,tri-elmars,variogons,biogons making ANY

difference to most of the photographs shown here. they are what they are because of

photographic intent (at all levels of ability), not because a of some "jewell-like" len's

"signature".I can't quite believe that someone who wants to make good photographs could

put a camera to their eye with the primary motivation of "can't wait to see the creamy

midtones at f2 with this baby....". Cos if you are, it's not gonna be very rewarding for you. Or

it is.I have no idea anymore. Jesus we SO need a photo competition round here. Travis? ;)

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The best lens is the one used with competence and sensitivity. It resides in the mind and heart of the photographer. $10,000 worth of Leitz can yield a pile of crapola, and a cheapo Diana used with intelligence can yield a masterpiece. How many angels can dance on an air bubble of a Tessar? Who cares?

"...and a cheapo Diana used with intelligence can yield a masterpiece."

which reminds me, did anyone see Sam's wedding shots? A Russian (?) couple saw his holga work here on PN, flew to NYC to get married and contacted Sam to have him shoot it in his style. Very cool pics. There was a pint in this thread where I ment to bring it up.

Tony wrote:<br>

<i>"Threads like these are great for at least one reason. They invariably morph into a kind of buffet table for the likes of poeple like me. Kind of like a piece of meat at the top of a stick in a pail of water to kill bees. Stats: 1 person suspended; 1 person banned. :-)"</i>

<br><br>

Tony, why is that a great thing? Buffet table? Smiley face after the statistics on how many got banned? Are you saying it's FUN or a GOOD thing to suspend and ban people?

Wow, this is more entertaining than.......

Well, we all now know quality lenses have a signature.

Great photos can be taken with any lens but a bit of quality can add.

Digital gives a boost to an average lens...center sweet spot.

P/S is the great balance for digital.

A Leica lens or 24 million pixels does not create a better photographer.

Gear snobbery pixel count is the sadness of photography.

Just a few thoughts.

There, some help for the sad.

I must have missed something. the original question begged to show a definable and observable difference between a well-composed/exposed frame from a Leica lens and one from a similar offering from Canon, Nikon, Minolta, Pentax -- the SLR old-school. or at least, that is how I interpreted the post. seems no one offered anything of import, nor convinced anyone that the thesis was flawed. three-hundred postings later, and we are all still beholden to our original assertions, and unmoved by anything contrary.

I think this is good -- we are moving forward and understanding more what makes a photograph sing, or scream, and coming to know the fundamental reasons why a lesser-photograph remains mute.

Brad, Frank's "Americans" was widely hailed as a milestone in photojournalism at the time. It wasn't "fashionable"

back then to print contrasty B&W photos. Look at the work of Bruce Davidson, David Douglas Duncan, Henri Cartier-Bresson, or other notables of that era. If you ever get the chance, look at original prints, not book illustrations, and especially not computer screen images. Photographers shot B&W film with silver prints in mind, and the guy with the process camera tried his damndest with bump and flash exposures to capture the full scale on the screened Kodalith half-tone negative. But his target was to come as close as possible to the print he was working from. Any "creative" manipulation ("post processing") at that stage and he'd be looking for a new job.

<i>Every time I flip through "The Americans," I'm always just a little steamed Frank didn't pay more attention to his gear. With better sharpness and contrast he could have snagged some really great images.</i> - Brad<p>

I'm sure Frank would be heartened to hear that. A little more attention to gear and we'd have had a winner . . . .