I'm all Eyes- Let's see how Lens Signature affects Photographs

ray .

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From here Al is not a personality type. He is an 'abstract' to me like you all are.

He is print on a screen as we all are. All of these threads are glorified Turing tests (or Chinese room tests) and Al and all the other characters are just abstracts. As abstract as Roy's "lens signatures" and your monkeys and all the galaxy of genuine contributors (and the trolls) as well.

You and I are just heiroglyphs on the internet. Unless we should ever meet.

Ray's thread was interesting in this regard because he gets near to the essence of the Turing test...

"with communication only by symbols, gives a way of separating intelligence from other human characteristics"

Ray just chose to use the subject of 'lens characteristics' to flush out the intelligent.

He asked...

"I want to be moved, or impressed, or at least see something out of the ordinary, or well crafted, or with a compelling subject.."

The symbols were to be pictures. We have mostly chosen words. (I posted some comparison pics but I dont if they fitted Ray's criteria) So we have failed and yes Pete is right. The rest was a barrel of monkeys. We have not satisfied Ray but we have satisfied the Turing test.

Peter, words and photographs have something in common they are as reliable or interesting as the person that uses them. The problem with the words is not in the outside (real) world. The problem is here in the internet that everyone has only them to express their views. As in internet we have no identity and we are abstracts (as Trevor said) our words usually not only carry our opinion but also an identity. And the more insecure someone is, more he tries to force a character or an image in a text that should only carry a simple opinion.

So we are starting with a simple thread which is self-evident (that lenses matter, but the photographer is more important) and we end with a monster-thread.....<div>00EQDw-26840084.jpg.4c5d0e50d27780cf6bed98df3a7e49a4.jpg</div>

<I>Nah, no sense wasting it on the unappreciative. </I><P>

Looks like no pix from Al's recent "shoots." Without seeing any, one is left to assume they

take on a look similar to his recent self-portrait body of work. No argument on characterizing

that as a <I>signature</I>.

www.citysnaps.net

Brad, I've been doing this long enough that I don't feel like I have to justify my life or my photography to anyone, let alone an uppity digital troll who shows up on the Leica Forum just to create dissent. A lot of what I've shot for money would be of little interest, or create ethical problems with the clients should it be posted here. I've photographed medical procedures, childbirths, accident victims, accident scenes. Oft times those things are best shot on film and I'm under oath that they weren't, as you put it, "post processed".

Or are you just upset, nay JEALOUS, that another thread today features my name in connection with the 15mm lens? Goodbye Brad! Get a life.

Al, why so insecure? A digital troll? No, just someone who loves photography. No one is

asking you to justify your life. Why not post some photos in the spirit in which Ray's

original post was offered? You're coming off very angry about this.

Again, this thread is not digital vs film, as you apparently want it so badly to be. It's about

lens

nuances. Digital cameras require lenses as well, by the way.

Try and understand that "post processing" isn't unique to the digital domain, but applies

to film as soon as you do something as simple as burning and dodging. Go forward with

an open mind and you might learn something in the process. But, on the other hand, your

statement that you've "been doing this long enough" speaks volumes on how receptive you

might be.

www.citysnaps.net

Guy guy guys, you're supposed to argue on the new thread! Isn't

"Get a life" a personal attack?

In respect for technical quality and competence, I have to say

seeing other people post pics with the VC 15mm on that thread

made me realize it's a pretty capable performer, something your

self-portraits were a long way from doing, Al.

<I>...eeing other people post pics with the VC 15mm on that thread made me realize it's a

pretty capable performer, something your self-portraits were a long way from doing, Al.

</I><P>

I rest my case: Good (or bad) content, good (or bad) light, and good (or bad) post-

processing swamp out any benefits a lens' signature might provide.

www.citysnaps.net

"Isn't "Get a life" a personal attack?"

so is troll.

Do you think I could say, "AL, get a life, troll!" and get away with it without a time out in the corner for a month? And they want subscriptions over this? No wonder everyone is over on flickr...without being badgered for for a bit of chump change.

Hi Tony...I'm not sure why you like this, man.