I'm all Eyes- Let's see how Lens Signature affects Photographs

ray .

the main reason I like using Leica M equipment is that it's much easier to smoke while I

shoot than with a large DSLR.

I've recently started using a TLR as it's even better. I'm going to rig an ashtry to the

rolleiflex.

You don't reallly start to see the unique characteristics of a lens until it's got a few years

worth of tar and nicotine on the front element.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Al, it may be of a surprise to you, but i wasn't addressing you. Vivek seems to be the only one following along, or finding relevence in my thoughts and finding them worth reading.

The whole thread is about lens qualities at the camera end of things and how it's important for printing conventionally and yet no one has talked about the second lens and it's vital importance in the food chain in order to do so.

My only point is that he is unqualified to talk about the characteristics of Leica lenses, as a non-user. Having been a Leica user for many years, I personally think some Leica lenses really are a cut above, but I can't prove it because Leica is all I use. But I wouldn't attempt to try to convince anyone based on scanned images on a cimputer screen. I shoot mainly slow speed slide film and project the images to a large size. Under these conditions, some of the Leica images are really breathtaking. Looking at peoples pictures on a computer screen is just not a good way to judge lens quality. That just doesn't seem to compute with some people.

Eliot. A crude 'edit, find' has shown the word Leica is used 50 times so far. (51 now)

That is not counting those have mentioned their Leica (52) lenses by their focal length or their name (Summicron, Telyt, 35/2 ASPH etc etc.)

Surely that is 'on topic' enough? Leica (53) does not exist in a vacuum and this thread invites people to compare and discuss. Lets not get too Talibanic otherwise even Marc would only have been able to mention his Leica (54) lenses and could not have offered interesting comparisons regarding sharpness, distortion, bokeh etc with other brands.

I have seen Hasselblad images projected to enormous size that you feel you could actually 'walk into' them because of their sheer quality.

I have seen 12x16 (and smaller) B&W prints that are 'breathtaking' taken with Nikon, Olympus, Hasselblad and Rollei and Leica and others.

We have all seen that Afghanistan presentation posted a couple of days ago and been impressed despite the fact that it was seen via our PC screen.

Eliot, have you never expressed how much you enjoyed other people's Leica pics displayed here on the LF at 511 pix or thereabouts? Did you never ever say that you could tell the difference even on a PC screen?

Trevor, there are plenty of pictures I enjoy on a computer screen, including yours, which I like very much. It's just that a computer screen is not a very good way of comparing lens quality, in most circumstances. I agree that there are some things you can tell from such images, such as how prone a particular lens is to flare. There are some recent examples showing images taken of the same scene at the same time by two lenses, one of which shows significant flaring (50/2 Summicron) and one of which does not (50/1 Noctilux). You can also tell something about general contrast by looking at how the lens handles point sources of light, and in suitable instances you can say something about linear distortion at the edge of the field.

But I find that to really compare lenses, you need significantly more enlargement or, better yet, projection of slides. It's amazing how much more you can tell with a suitable level of enlargement. Looking at images on a computer screen I can mostly tell whether I like the image, subject matter, composition, more than I can tell about lens qualities. It doesn't mean that lens quality is unimportant, just that you have not chosen the proper venue to showcase the capabilities of the particular lens.

Rene, Most of your shots are very good but the snow shots are totally devoid of any features (regardless of digital, 35mm or 6x6). These are not easy to display as digital files. You may want to check around with what you do with contrast and USM (kills the fine structures in snow). We have not had any snow here yet but it will be here soon.

Ray, I'd suggest the next time you start a post like this you pose the question as though

you actually give a damn about getting an answer. An otherwise good question isn't going

to generate any worthwhile answers when you ask it with a rather obvious chip on your

shoulder.

"I'm all eyes" is a variation of "I'm all ears" and that expression normally means the speaker

is not only waiting for an explanation, but imagines that they hold the authority to

demand one. Not the attitude to open a discussion with, is it?

BTW, I agree with the general point you're trying to make but, again, the attitude ain't

winning any converts to your point of view.

My experience with Nikkor 28/2.8AF-D: not the sharpest wide angle from Nikon, the 24 should be better according to some people (according to others the 28 is better except close range).

It has a hard bokeh. I wouldn't say it ruined my pictures, but sure it didn't help. I try to avoid to put it now in conditions where it can appear again, if possible.

In this sense I adapt to my lens and try to make the best out of it (which to me is better than wasting 1000Euros on Leica glass). If I drop my lens and need to buy something else, I guess I would need some time until I can adapt again. There would be some more flaws, some more experiments and then a slightly different style.

Thanks Eric. I allways wanted to use this image, perhaps like the pancake bunny...

Anyway, it has been swell boys. Thanks for keeping me company during my server installs. I'm done now. I'm taking my camera and heading out the door. I've got 1.5 hours to kill before I have to pickup my teenage son at a bus stop. I hope I get a shot or two in the meantime....