When will Nikon (and Canon, Fuji, etc.) enter the 21st century?

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by walker_angell, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Every time I deal with cameras I feel like I'm stepping back in time to an antiquated pre-technology age.
    I bought my wife a Nikon 1 that is a great bit of hardware but all of the software systems around the hardware are antiquated, full of bugs, and just about awful. I understand if they don't want to include a GPS because of battery concerns*, but why don't they at least grab GPS data from a phone? Why is the only way they can connect to an iPhone (or Android) via pretending to be a WiFi AP and forcing our phone to disconnect from the internet WiFi to connect to the camera? An Apple watch (and dozens of others) can maintain a permanent connection to an iPhone via Bluetooth. The watch always has accurate GPS data from the phone. It can stream photos or video in real time to the phone. Why can't Nikon do this? Why is it taking Nikon so long to incorporate radio's for lighting?
    EVERY camera should be able to connect to our phones via Bluetooth. To get constant GPS data so photos can be geotagged when taken, allow easier uploads/downloads, control, liveview, etc.
    Why don't our cameras allow apps? It's not technology holding them back as the tiny Apple Watch has thousands of apps. Would an app that grabs the weather from your phone and puts it in a field be useful to anyone? What about a competing camera app like maybe one for better HDR or Video? Or perhaps an app that allows us to create user defined presets like Canon and Nikon consumer cameras have had for years? Nikon make great hardware. Perhaps its time to let others do the software?
    Why do lenses (except Sigma) still have to be sent in for firmware updates?
    * Though even this is thinking from 20 years ago as that's not such an issue anymore with newer technology that apparently Nikon are unaware of

2. A lot of us want a camera to just be a camera, and if I want cell phone camera capability, I'll use the camera in my iPhone.

It is perhaps possible that Nikon actually has done research and found that their target markets don't want the features you describe. There have been android-based cameras, for instance, but they didn't set the world on fire.

3. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Administrator Staff Member

Walker -- I don't carry a phone, I do not want gps in my camera -- I have a gps if I want that. If I want apps they'll be on my computer. I would not buy your dream camera -- suspect as Peter suggested, many folks want a camera that is just a camera. Be nice if phones were just phones, speaking as a camera guy.

4. SCL

SCL

I want a camera which also microwaves the meals, washes the clothes and dishes and vacuums the rugs, plus GPS, home thermostat control, security system, etc. Just kidding. I want a camera to take pictures...period! Yes cellphones are great for snaps and short videos. Dinosaur here...just pictures please on my camera.

5. It's always about the money. They will produce the camera you describe when it makes financial sense, when there's a market for such a product and when they are confident it will make an adequate profit.

6. Samsung tried and failed to sell Android MILCs. Nikon tried and failed to sell Android compacts. The market doesn't want them. it wants cameras that operate like cameras.
    The wifi implementation is a kludge but Bluetooth is slow. It would take forever to transfer photos and probably wouldn't work for live view camera remote. It maxes out at 3 MB per second and that's only in high speed mode, which actually uses a second 802.11 link for the data.

7. The places I shoot--no cell coverage!
    Instead I will happily give up built-in flash and video, for a savings in cost!

8. I'm second to Nick Sanyal. I like to have a camera, top mechanical engineered, NO video, NO GPS, NO build in flash, MORE simplified software system, reduced bulk, like a Nikon FM3a or similar, build in battery grip, NO secondary vertical control buttons, ( never had on the earlier film cameras added motor-drive, and we never get handicapped or disfigured because of this ) never using them anyway. Haw a character not like other thousand same form of plastic junk. I like to have, like a real 35mm film camera, but, not big and heavy like a concrete block.
    And I like to haw a super wide angle lens like Canon haw, 11-24 mm f/4 Rectilinear. Or, a prime 11mm.
    Oh, and I hate cellphone. The "BORG' maker.

9. Why should everything be connected to everything?

10. I'm surprised Bluetooth is not used more effectively in cameras. Since it is digitally keyed to the paired device, it is more reliable in "noisy" environments, and some transmitters can communicate up to 150 feet (or more), drawing little power compared to Wi-Fi.
    GPS does not rely on telephone or Wi-Fi connections. All it needs is a clear view of the sky. Neither Wi-Fi nor Bluetooth connections between devices depend on outside connections either.
    Bluetooth v4.0 transmits data up to 24 MB/s, which is ample for high fidelity stereo sound and at least YouTube quality video. I use Bluetooth to control a small 8-channel audio recorder, and monitor the sound with Bluetooth headphones from a distance of more than 150 feet while shooting video. There is normally a delay of about 0.2 seconds (Godzilla sub-title quality), but some TX/DX units trim this to 0.02 seconds.
    My Sony A7ii and A7Rii have a well-implemented version of Wi-Fi with matching applications for iOS and Android devices. It is useful for controlling the camera remotely and exchanging high resolution images, including real-time viewing. It's a bit of a power hog, so I turn it off (Airplane Mode) until needed. Sony doesn't use Bluetooth, but that's probably not long in coming.
    If you have a GPS application in your iOS device (e.g., MotionX GPS, emulating an hand-held device), you can create a document with a log of your perambulations and match that with your images based on time of capture, and put it into the image metadata. I don't know the name of the program, but I know it exists because my son uses it. You can also synchronize the camera's time with your phone, which is satellite-accurate.
    I was on a whale watching tour last summer (whale waiting tour is more accurate). Using GPS data I was able to track our voyage through the San Juan islands, including a brief excursion into Canadian waters. Fortunately I had my passport in case we were boarded (we weren't) and no pocket knife longer than 1-1/2".

11. Gup

Gup Gup

Walker, tough room.
    I need my camera to take the best image possible. Any other bells or whistles are lost on me. They are in my way. That includes video and a dozen other settings and features stuffed into the menus. But, I am one photographer. Everyone has their own style and list of 'wants' and I understand that so I don't complain about it. I just try not to hit any buttons with red dots on them.
    I carry a GPS unit for safety when I'm off the grid. If necessary, I will snap the lat. and long. coordinates from that. Added bonus, it finds my way back, too.
    I'm shooting uncompressed RAW files always, so streaming them is a moot point and I prefer to upload the cards directly into my PC reader and then reformat them for reuse.
    Now, I do agree Nikon's software leaves a lot to be desired although it has improved leaps and bounds since this digital age left the starting blocks, but I choose PS and other specialized programs for post work anyway. I would love to see them implement more firmware upgrades, though, a la Fuji. That is true customer service and shows old world respect for their users. There is always room for improvement with the menu structures.
    My ideal camera would be a totally manual Nikon Pro body, that new Sony 42 meg FF sensor, no motor drive, no auto focus, optical viewfinder, carbon fibre build, waterproof with all exterior controls. The tiny battery would then last for days in the field, the body could be much smaller and Nikon would sell 10's of them. ;)

12. My ideal camera would be a totally manual Nikon Pro body, that new Sony 42 meg FF sensor, no motor drive, no auto focus, optical viewfinder, carbon fibre build, waterproof with all exterior controls. The tiny battery would then last for days in the field, the body could be much smaller and Nikon would sell 10's of them. ;)
    You and the other five people that want exactly that configuration won't sell out 5 grand for it...
    you don't save cost when they take stuff out.

Here's why.

If I can sell 1 million D-999s with built-in flash and video, for 1500 bucks... but instead make one model with built-in flash and video for 950,000 of you and one without in a quantity of 50,000... the price of the built-in flash model is now 1600 and the one without ends up being 2 grand, because most of those 100,000 people ALSO want something that adds cost to the camera (Nikon Df anybody?)

Economies of scale.

If a camera has features you don't want... wait for it... DON'T USE THOSE FEATURES... Don't like video? Ignore it. It's pretty easy to do.
    If camera companies start making super-niche products, they have super-niche prices. They already know this.

13. Gup

Gup Gup

@ Peter Hamm -
    Firstly, I WOULD 'shell' out $5,000 for it. Carbon Fibre? Pretty presumptuous on your part. My first digital body cost me $7200.
    Secondly, my last 4 bodies have all had video. I used one once for 2 minutes. So, I DON'T use it. They've also had built-in flash. Guess what? I have 7 other flash heads and I DON'T use that either.
    The Nikon DF was crippled as a pro body or it would have sold more, definitely one more.
    You are preaching to the choir and repeating things you've learned from miriads of other threads here.
    Lastly, when you see this icon ;) after a post, you have to imagine the author is less than serious.

14. The internet needs a sarcasm font...

15. I'm in the camp of not wanting most of that. I definitely do not want GPS built in to my camera. It might become "evidence," LOL. I have no smart phone--mine doesn't even have GPS. And, I will never buy an Apple product as long as Tim Cook is working there.
    Kent in SD

16. People are also complaining about all of the Quality Control issues with Nikon and other manufacturers in the last few years. The more features you try to pack into a camera (or any other electronic device), the more you open up the possibility of bugs. I have never used video in any of my digital bodies, but I do understand economies of scale as someone pointed out. I doubt there is anyone out there who uses 100% of the features in any modern digital camera. Nikon and the others are trying to find the "sweet spot" for the majority of users, not satisfy the desires of every user. I imagine Nikon could make a lot of money by creating a Custom Design Camera Division. That way you could go online and design your dream camera beginning with a base camera and adding only those features you want. Automobile manufacturers do that, but I'm not sure how feasible it would be for a digital camera. Or for that matter how cost prohibitive it would be.

17. Bluetooth v4.0 transmits data up to 24 MB/s, which is ample for high fidelity stereo sound and at least YouTube quality video.​
    24 Mbits/s - that's 3 MBytes. And to get that you have to use a high speed mode that needs to be paired with an 802.11 antenna. Bluetooth can do audio but that's much easier than video. On a camera you'd get a low res, low framerate feed and the ability to change settings and trigger the shutter at best. With wifi you can get live view on your cell phone.

18. Here is a different take on it. For all the fancy bells and whistles, the camera, whether digital or film, the camera is and always will be nothing but a RECORDING DEVICE. If you think otherwise you are deluding yourself
    Digital has brought the techno-nerds scurrying out from under the wood work. Does all of that high techie stuff make you a better photographer? Many of us don't give a hoot in hell about whether our cameras can link to our phones of Facebook or Twitter or anything for that matter. I have a 4 year old Blackberry which, perish the thought, I use primarily to make PHONE CALLS and the occasional text. So many people nowadays get so absolutely wrapped over the axel over techie stuff like megapixels and Wi-Fi and all the rest of that crap that they lose sight of the fact that when it comes to producing creative and artistic image, the camera provides about 5% and the PERSON BEHIND IT about 95%
    If someone could figure out a way to put a 16MP back on my F2 I would be happier than a pig in slop. I already put maybe 20-30 rolls of film through it a year and have since 1974 when I got it. No frills or bells and whistles, just the finest 35mm mechanical camera every made.
    Just my 2ยข
    Ellis Vener [​IMG], Apr 30, 2016; 12:11 p.m.
    Why should everything be connected to everything?​
    BINGO! Give that man a cigar!

19. I'm with Barry on this, but I'm not holding my breath. Several years back I advocated for a "capable" body with various plug-ins. This was based on a rather old magnetic recorder (50yrs ?)....hope Nikon notices this :>)...where certain functions were assigned to an electronic board/s and when it came to repairs, this item was switched and the machine would continue to operate. Anyway, it was an outstanding design, since you could take those elec boards with you to rather remote spots in this world like Africa (sands), Amazon or Arctic, etc. without losing weeks to repair these items.
    Indeed, many of us would just have the principle controls w/o all the bells and whistles.
    Les

20. Just happy my target is the print, so not to be burdened with all this non-sense.

21. The watch always has accurate GPS data from the phone​
    how I missed this

22. EVERY camera should be able to connect to our phones via Bluetooth. To get constant GPS data so photos can be geotagged when taken, allow easier uploads/downloads, control, liveview, etc.

No they shouldn't. I don't want all of my landscape photos geotagged because I don't want hoards of people to wreck my favorite spots. All the other apps you mention do not help one make better photographs. I'm just being devil's advocate so don't take me too seriously.​

23. PapaTango

PapaTango Itinerant Philosopher

Nikon and others perfectly understand their markets. Want GPS on many of their cameras? Then buy the very expensive accessory. Want wireless connectivity? Then buy the very expensive accessory. Want better software? Buy third party options. Want to configure your lens with a USB hub? Go for Sigma.
    I don't want a 'smart watch.' Every day, I put on a perfectly servicable Seiko chronograph that I have worn for the past 15 years. Battery lasts about 4 years--and it does not need charged every day. My HTC One M8 is smarter than I am--it insists on recommending or trying to lead me to using it more. All I need is to make calls, run Google Maps, and occassionally check emails. It's nice that it has the D7100 manual loaded in it--and the compass is very nice. Screw texting and Farcebook...
    My Nikon does exactly what I want it to do. I have a third party program that was free to tether it with when needed, and a Vello wireless remote. Flash system is Sigma. Most lenses are Sigma. I need to take pictures--my notes tell me where I was... ;-) There is already too much male bovine excrement loaded into the mechanics of the camera. I want to take good photos--not be connected to every damned thing that those looking to extract cash from my wallet want me to be plugged into. None of which helps me take a better image!

24. I want to take good photos--not be connected to every damned thing that those looking to extract cash from my wallet want me to be plugged into. None of which helps me take a better image!​
    I guess you don't want a SQUARE plugin for the camera - ie swipe your card when you want something better than a 3 MP JPEG.

25. Why can't a camera connect directly into photo.net and start threads that bait many of us into responding?

26. PapaTango

@Edward. Nope, don't do SQUARE--gots me a PayPal TRIANGLE! One day I might actually use the thing on the phone--but it works better on my MikroSquish Surface. Bigger screen you know...
    @Hector. You need to catch up! That function is already in place through the wetware interface that resides between the camera and the keyboard... :)

27. I nearly got sucked into this one, my brain started racing through all the options I'd REALLY like to see in my D800 and GPS definitely isn't one of them. For ages I've felt digital cameras simply grew out of 35mms which makes you wonder how things would be if instead of 35mm format, modular Medium Format or even Large Format Field cameras had started the evolutionary process.
    Maybe we'd have built-in tilt shift, both front and back, maybe instead changing cameras we could upgrade our sensors by clipping in a new or different sensor module and so on, and on, and on. The funny thing in all of this is I suddenly realised that I can do pretty much anything I dream of, not by buying more gear or clipping bits on to the D800 but looking a little more deeply into my Lightroom, Photoshop and Nik Collection. In terms of sending images around I'm quite content with Dropbox etc.

28. Everything you are asking for I don't want. From some of the posts, I am not alone.

29. I feel like I posted in an old folks home. And I'm probably one of the few here actually old enough to be in one. :)
    Personally I like things that make life easier. My first camera was my dad's Argus followed by OM's, and F's. I loved those camera's. But I also like aperture priority. And better metering. Auto focus? Absolutely. Changing ISO with a switch instead of a roll? Not even changing ISO because the camera does it for me? Setting a minimum shutter speed so I don't stupidly shoot under my hand hold ability? Auto bracketing? Focus tracking? I'd love user memories if it had them (but that's an old age thing because I can't remember stuff as well as I use too).
    When we upgrade cameras (for those of us who've upgraded since our first Nikon) it's primarily about features. Except for faster shutter speeds there was no change in the image ability of Nikon F's. A shot at 1/250 @ f4 didn't look any different on a F5 than an F2 than an F. We upgraded purely for the features. Features are good. They make life easier.

30. "They make life easier." May be for you but not me! I want my camera to capture a part of what I see with out five hundred things I don't want or need to complicate things. I am sure there is a camera out there that will do what you are looking for. In the mean time, go out and take some photos.

31. As I said previously, is that the camera companies are like the car companies. One come out with a new body style and every one else follows suit. And when it comes to options, options sell. The average consumer would feel cheated if their favorite brand of camera didn't have the same options as a competing brand.
    My biggest beef is the video option built into DSLR's. One person said if you don't want to take video, don't use it. But that video function increased the cost of the camera. Worst of all is that DSLR.s are not ergonomically designed for video. Look at a dedicated video camera and it's designed to be held in a manner so as to be as stable as possible. With a DSLR you lose that stability. Sure some can argue that image stabilization would counter that but it is more costly, and something else that will only break down do to its complexity. The Nikon D3X is the last dedicated still capture DSLR. I morn it's production end.

32. As someone who's tried to get a smartphone to act as a GPS locator via a Bluetooth modem, there appears to be a fundamental flaw that makes it a non-trivial task. Most GPS-to-Bluetooth apps don't allocate a fixed modem channel to stream the data over. Every time the app is started it will pick a new, almost random, channel, thus putting the onus of finding and establishing contact with that channel on the receiving modem (i.e. the camera). This requires quite a bit of firmware space within the modem and/or the ability to distinguish GPS data from any other Bluetooth stream - non trivial. Unless there's considerable operator intervention to establish the connection channel manually. This would be beyond most user's skillset or tolerance of what is acceptably easy to use.
    OTOH a WiFi connection has packet identifiers and network addresses embedded in the data stream and establishing data exchange is therefore fairly trivial. In short; a Bluetooth connection has to be forced by the operator, whereas a WiFi connection once "remembered" can be established automatically. Or made to a fixed IP address set up in software.

33. Unless I missed it somewhere above, didn't Nikon just enter the 21st century with WiFi on the D500?

34. Why not just use your cellphone and cut out the middle.?

35. "Why not just use your cellphone and cut out the middle.?" That's what I was thinking!

36. I feel like I posted in an old folks home.​
    You didn't. You ran into parents telling a petulant child that he has enough toys.
    Have you ever worked on research and development? Or thought for a moment about how it works? Your employer gives you a place to work, a non-disclosure agreement to sign, and limited resources, partly defined by a budget. There are many other things, but the limitation on your resources is critical. If you spend the time of your engineers on frills, you have less for what you need to do. Another limitation is electronic "real estate." Despite the amazing improvement in miniaturization of circuits, space is always limited. I've heard colleagues (in another company) describe fights over circuit board space. If you add features, you have to give up the size of internal buffers, or something else. My work has nothing to do with cameras, but cameras are particularly limited in space for components.
    I do agree with your complaint about buggy software and firmware. Should camera manufacturers put more resources into that, or should they add features that some guy who is obviously in the minority wants?

37. Rodeo Joe, I'm only 56, but I did not understand a word! I think I'll go take some photos.

38. People are texting and sending back photos while hiking wilderness trails. I don't know what they go out there for, but it isn't what I go out there for.
    I did do something back in April that was unprecedented for me: I tried to make a call from a trail in a Federally Designated Wilderness area just to verify that I could get help in case of a medical emergency. I had recently had my seventy-first birthday, and it suddenly occurred to me that I just might be mortal after all. After that, I turned the phone completely off. I'll be darned if I want to hear a stupid phone ringing in the woods. I also don't really want to have to be rescued, but I'll swallow my pride and make the call if I have a heart attack or blow out a knee.
    I still carry an actual magnetic compass. Two of them. I don't Google trail maps while I'm out there, though. I also don't carry a Garmin. That's where I draw the line. Arbitrary? Probably, and, if I actually were to have a heart attack out there, I might have to rethink some things.
    In the meantime, keep your hands off my Nikons and my little Sony a6000 day tripper. If your phone rings while you're passing me on the trail, consider yourself an endangered species. I'm a pacifist, but I have my limits.
    --Lannie

39. Right on Lannie, I'm with you! If someone wants to see any of my photos from the trail (or anywhere else) they have to wait for me to return to my PC to process them and decide which photos I want to send to family or friends. I also don't take photos of my food in restaurants to show my friends what I am eating. I assume they are busy providing nutrients to their own bodies. And I don't do "selfies", or post my daily life on FB so every thief within 50 miles will know when I'm not at home and have an open invitation to come take all of my possessions. I also change my own oil and can rebuild a four-barrel carburetor (you young'uns will have to look it up). What happened to my world?!!! :)

40. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Administrator Staff Member

Barry -- that world, the good life is still here, and those of us who care to can still enjoy it. In addition to mindset, it does depend to some extent on where you live and where and how you chose to travel.

41. I tried asking a question like this more or less a year ago and got severely bashed by people fifty years my senior. This is a most conservative forum and interesting debates played out maybe 10-15 years ago. Go enjoy the apps in your phone.. No wonder the sales of cameras go down... Largely because of market saturation but also for a lack of interesting ideas.

42. Spearhead

Spearhead Moderator

My biggest beef is the video option built into DSLR's. One person said if you don't want to take video, don't use it. But that video function increased the cost of the camera.​

The reverse is true. Putting video into still cameras reduces the cost.

43. PapaTango

There is only one reason I would care to see WiFi on my D7100--to reduce the mechanical wear of inserting and extracting cards or tether cables. Sure, there is the convenience of simply linking up but frankly I cycle through different pairs of cards every time I do this.

Nikon has purportedly moved "into the 21st Century" with the D7200. They advertise "built-in snapbridge Wi-Fi connectivity with NFC for simple linking of your mobile device." Want it faster? As I said in an earlier post--they are happy to sell you an expensive pair of gizmos to make that happen.

As far as I am concerned, this is a fail on Nikon's part. I have ZERO interest in transferring my images to an iOS or Android device "for immediate sharing online." I want those pictures on my DD workstation--not just an intermediate device that I have to offload YET AGAIN later! I guess that we are back to the crippled software discussion--as to why oh why I cannot download directly with WiFi to my home wireless network...

Some people love technotoys--I have my own! Rodeo Joe put a smile on my face, as I know what he was doing and why. Like people who spend a half hour texting to have what would be a five minute phone conversation--I would simply pick up the microphone and announce my location to the repeater. Ham radio stuff you know...

@Lannie. I understand completely--as arthritis makes me wonder at times if I can make the return trip under my own power! Yet to encounter people out there who are subsumed by the activity on their little screens--ignoring all of the little and big things along their path--totally puzzles me. A debate now is just because technology CAN do something, is it always a good thing for us to actually DO what it offers?

Instant gratification and what code and algorithms can do may extend capability. But as has been pointed out succinctly, no amount of electronic magic replaces the 95% vision that must go into remarkable photos. If I stand in the same worn spot that thousands of others have stood and taken the same photo--tech will not help. Going 10 feet to the left and changing the elevation by 3 feet will...

44. Wow! All the bashing at the suggestion of adding new features to Nikon cameras. As long at the features can be turned on/off and don't negatively affect the shooters that don't use them, then absolutely, additional functionality options are great.
    There are many features of my Nikon camera that I almost never use, such as video. But, as it doesn't affect my shooting, and it's available in the off chance that I'd like to use it, great to have it.
    I can see myself using additional connectivity options (besides pulling out my memory card for insertion into my PC) on rare occasion.

45. I found myself thinking, dangerous I know but, remembering my earlier post that included mention of medium format modular systems and thinking about liveview, the worst/most inadequate feature on my D800.
    It is only a small jump and probably quite doable to replace the back screen with a clip-in clip out smartphone replicating the old analogue Polaroid backs, getting you the net result of a much better liveview, all the usefulness of a phone and even some camera control features from it.
    It does seem logical that given there are already camera control apps for smart phones, this would just take it one step further.
    On a similar matter, I've often wondered why we can't make our cameras more secure by having to use a PIN or the like.

46. I've often wondered why we can't make our cameras more secure by having to use a PIN or the like​
    because this is a solution to a problem which doesnt exist. why would a camera need to be more secure? it would be a terrible idea for news reporters, photojournalists and the like, basically anyone who needs a fast start-to-shoot time would be frustrated by introducing an additional step which would serve little actual purpose. also, if you really really need this feature, just shoot with an iPhone with a lock code.

47. Eric, you can usually turn things on or turn them off

48. I just want a camera capable of making High Resolution still photos that I can make 24x36 in top clarity, I got a phone, I don't need what ever K Video. I just want to make photographs that don't move.

49. I wasn't trying to bamboozle anyone with my previous post. That's the way it is. Bluetooth is a flawed and quirky connection method using a serial data stream with variable handshaking, bit-rate and parity. While WiFi is a rigid standard that uses the fairly bomb-proof TCP/IP protocol. Sure, Nikon's implementation is a bit backwards in that the camera controls the connection, but it does mean that you're not faced with trying to connect two dumb "slave" devices together as with USB/USBOTG.
    My own experience is that the Nikon WMU app works pretty transparently - at least on an Android phone and with a D7200 camera. The camera accepts the phone connection and away you go! I have no complaints about the way it works. And I've built a little Bluetooth modem that connects the camera to a separate Bluetooth GPS receiver. That's a bit more cumbersome than having a GPS dongle fitted directly to the camera, but I had the GPS Rx and components just lying around and wanted to do Nikon out of the ridiculous price of their GP-1A.
    What I couldn't do was make my smartphone replace the GPS Rx. So I just carry the little Bluetooth GPS thingy if I really need to geotag my pictures. It happens rarely, but there have been a few occasions where my memory has let me down about where a picture was taken. Plus there are great functions in Google earth/maps that let you view the location simply by linking the picture to the program. (I really hate the use of the word "app" or application. "Application" is a mass or count-noun, not a proper noun. Computers are programmed using programs or scripts. We don't need an alternative twisted grammar word for that!)

50. Rodeo Joe, have you tried or looked into the di-GPS Eco ProFessional M? It connects directly to the 10-pin connector so there is no cable to get in the way. Best of all it is 40% cheaper than the GP-1A. It also has a pass-through 10-pin connection. I believe the company also makes models for direct connection to the Nikon prosumer bodies without the 10-pin connector.

51. you can usually turn things on or turn them off​
    but who needs a camera that locks? and even if you had one, someone could just pop out the memory card anyway.

52. The card slot door also locks. Gotcha!

53. With a tiny little combination lock.

54. I would prefer: (1) Some thing that helps to get a result of better quality
    (2) Something that helps to get the result which is impossible otherwise (such as a very small startup time, or a very high shutter speed, or very fast AF speed.)
    (3) Least of all is something to help getting the same (or even worse) result in a very lazy way. That is because I enjoy taking photos, not considering it an ordeal I had to do in order to get the photos.
    I consider the taking of photos is the most important step even though it may not take much time (usually, there is not much time at all). Then the step that takes most time is the editing step. Transferring step is nothing, it is in no time comparing to editing and taking photos, and it is so easy, so mechanically. I guess someone cares more about transferring when taking photos is a "no-brainer" and editing is a "no-need". That is not me though. Now thinking of it, it scares me if sometimes my photos get transferred and uploaded automatically without a chance to decide which to upload and to edit them.

55. PapaTango

The word 'bashing' has been used several times in this discussion to describe those that write their disinterest and the reasons for that in adding yet more bells and whistles. That is a pretty strong and negative word--and in my estimation a misunderstanding of what is being said.
    We seem to have entered an interesting time in which all that have a different opinion than our own are either argumentative or wrong. What I see instead here is that a significant number of consumers are vocalizing their preferences. A camera that serves a main purpose, without being connected to everything. All too often we have tidbits of tech foisted on us whether we want them or not--just because there is money to be made off something that feature or application does.
    In another life, I worked in and owned businesses that repaired and sold consumer electronics--and commercial communications equipment. Repairing gear is still a hobby. Here is something I know beyond reproach. The more dense the features available through the hardware capacity--the greater the likelihood of a critical failure that renders something--or everything useless.

56. I agree Patrick. One of the reasons I visit this forum several times a day is to get other people's opinion. Many times I have discovered better methods than I had been using, thus making me a better photographer. It doesn't upset me when someone disagrees and has a different opinion. I think sometimes it is a generational or geographic thing. I grew up in a time and place where robust but polite discussion was encouraged. That was one of the many ways we learned new things. I think Nikon (and other manufacturers) would be wise to read discussions like this one from users before bringing a new product to market.

57. Aside from including a bluetooth xceiver I've not suggested any change to hardware. Actually, Nikon may already have bluetooth in camera's with WiFi given how many chips include both (though I believe they'd need a different antenna for tooth). That said, software/firmware can have its own complications and become overly complicated but I don't believe what is in these camera's is near to that point.