Strange stripe on film

simon_novak

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>today I developed two rolls of Tri-X rated at ISO 200 in Adonal 1+50 for 9 minutes, the density seems ok to me, but I got a strange yellowish stripe in the middle of the roll. Does anyone know why that happens? Below is a photo of what it looks like.</p>

<p>The developer was fresh for both rolls, although my fixer (mixed 1+9) in a 1.5L (about 1/3 gallon) bottle is three weeks old and I already fixed five 35mm rolls with it, is that too old? It hasn't gone dark or anything.. What I'm probably doing wrong is when I pour out my fixer I do it in two takes because pouring from my tank into a bottle is not possible as I would spill half of it, so it goes into a separate container with only half a liter capacity, so for about 10-15 seconds a part of the film is sitting in the fixer and the other part isn't. Could that be the problem? But then the stripe should be paralel to the roll edges. And it doesn't seem like a light leak or anything similar either..</p>

<p>Anyway, I have no idea what's going on and if anyone can help, I would really appreciate it! Thanks!</p><div>00dSoa-558239284.jpg.8ea508a87263be60d3e3a7325688559f.jpg</div>

<p>Oh, I could still save them? I'll try that! Thanks Larry! Another thing, any idea how long a 1.5 liter of 1+9 fixer will last? As I understand it doesn't get depleted as quickly as developer does, right? So based on my experience, I should probably mix fresh fixer every two weeks or so? Or even more frequently?</p>

<p>Larry, you are, what I believe they call, THE MAN! :) Thank you so much! I just refixed the rolls with fresh fixer and they look great, I'll have to get them properly scanned asap.</p>

<p>About a decade ago, when I would develop a roll of b&w film from time to time, I don't remember having any problems with fixing and I doubt I mixed it fresh more than once a month. </p>

<p>Anyway, thanks again!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The Ilford rapid fixer that I use is 1:4 for film, 1:9 for paper. That could be a reason for underfixing.</p>

<p>For developer, there can be problems if you partially fill the tank, then delay before filling it. <br>

That usually doesn't happen in draining, as there is still enough in the emulsion.<br>

It shouldn't be a problem with fixer, though. Fixer goes to completion, a little more doesn't hurt any.</p>

-- glen