Image Borders

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by michaellinder, Mar 7, 2018.

1. The problem with categories, at least as proposed by Kant, is that they are inescapable pre-existing conditions, if you will, and all perception MUST BE filtered through them.The categories take priority and, in effect, determine what we see and how we see it. These categories reflect the fact, according to Kant, that knowledge comes from theoretical deduction and not sensory experience or observation.

Now, without getting too heavy or into that specific debate, I just want to point out that frames around art often suggest just the opposite, that we are about to enter a world where pre-existing conditions, so-to-speak, are about to be questioned or even denied or defied. As well, we may be entering a world where sensation and observation are more primary than thought and understanding. The frame can be seen as an invitation to a more immediate kind of relationship to what we see and hear than what would typically be allowed by a necessary filtration through already-known categories.

Consider Warhol and his soup cans or Duchamp's mustache on the Mona Lisa. They actually defied the category of art itself.

Sometimes, a frame acts more as a WARNING than a border or container!

2. "Framing", or categorizing perceptions is an integral component of heuristics, and an essential part of how human beings interact with the world. Otherwise, we would be incapable of processing and acting on the incredibly complex set of data our senses collect. In like manner, a sensitive selection of framing for an image can simplify or clarify the viewer's perception of it, rather than forcing an internal debate regarding how and to what degree every image's surroundings are in integral part if the message.

3. Well said.

mjferron likes this.
  4. A filed out neg carrier on a projected B&W image can be art in itself when used on a suitable image. Not an abstract or modern image but a Rt. 66 style image? A vintage scene? Now we are talking. Not so fond on a digital image though.

5. Norman 202

Norman 202 i am the light

One of my exs painted a bit and always handed over the canvas for a frame maker to do his stuff. I suppose if I ever wanted a print mounted & framed I’d do the same and rely on their judgement.

6. I like your explanation, Phil. Does it follow in your view that the artist is somehow structuring the work?

7. This makes a lot of sense (in a lot of cases). There's a reason people focus on certain tasks and become experts in their field. A good frame designer and frame maker is an artist in her own right. Why not let them use their expertise, especially if you don't feel inclined to make those decisions?

I have a couple of friends who've been curators and another friend who's made frames and is a designer. Because I have my own gallery at home and that's where I've shown most of my stuff, I like to choose the frames and even do the gallery layout myself because, for me, the presentation is so much a part of the art and I like that personal involvement. But I do run things by these friends who I consider more expert than me and I also seek advice from them. So far, it's worked out well and I've been pleased with how my gallery has come together.

Last time I had a gallery opening, I did completely farm out the food and drink, though my culinary friends might point out that’s part of the art as well! :) I have good friends who love entertaining and they put together a really nice spread, set it up, chose the wine and beer, and I didn't have to think about any of it . . . just paid the bill.

I did pick out my own outfit and dressed myself and everyone said I looked great, but that’s because I avoided harsh backlighting . . .

michaellinder likes this.
  8. ." There's a reason people focus on certain tasks and become experts in their field. A good frame designer and frame maker is an artist in her own right." Fred.

Like this bit of banality best.

"A good frame designer and frame maker is an artist in her own right. "Fred.

Okay, a good frame designer makes an Artist:))

Some folks should actually read what they write....,and think....I've just written a load of BS.

9. Hey, real Artists have borders to their photos done by special border Artist folk.

Sadly, most of you folk do not have proper borders to your photos done by special border artists.

There, that is why your photos are not properly loved.

Just a thought.

10. Sorry, Fred.

But a lot of the time I agree with you...how boring is that.

But, when you feel you are divine and write BS...well, I just have to disagree:))

11. I just cannot image, in my wildest dreams, a piece of Art...

Well if it had a nice border....hello, is there conscious life on this burning debris. .

12. So, Allen, does it follow - according to your logic - that a photograph without any border at all is "...not properly loved?" If your answer is "yes," then you would seem to use a sort of logic with which I'm not familiar. (One more thing . . . . . . If you gift me with the same ad hominem you used to respond to Fred, I'll consider it an honor.)

13. No frame - I would be mortified if someone preferred the frame to the image it holds :eek:))))

14. "So, Allen, does it follow - according to your logic - that a photograph without any border at all is "...not properly loved? "Michael'

It's called sarcasm, Michael. I could be rude...but I will pass for now. Educated to middle school English with a certificate...Hmm.

It seems to me some folk get all excited, ,....thrilled about a border from clever border folk...yes, a nice border is nice...nice....the end.

" If you gift me with the same ad hominem you used to respond to Fred,"Mi9chael.

I love Fred too. He plays the little bird with the damaged wing...reality check..... he is the most belligerent aggresive poster on P/N...loves folk to join him in the "we" and loves lots of attention...".Belle of the Ball" comes to mind..

Genuinely, ''I'm rather fond of "our Fred'....a character....few can claim than title.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  15. . "Educated to middle school English with a certificate...Hmm." Allen

That was cruel

Apologize.

16. Allen, your sarcasm disguised itself as a self-referential ad hominem (or some other kind of weird linguistic creature). Thanks for responding, even though I still am befuddled.

17. ""am befuddled. Michael.

Okay.

Sorry I failed to communicate to you .My bad. Nothing wrong with being befuddled,Michael....in time it happens to all of us.

Perhaps a nice tree photo....our Prince Charles felt a spiritual connection when he talked to a tree....true. Myself I think just a tree.

Hope you like my tree photo taken on a sunny day.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  18. Yeah, but don't you think it would be better with a border?