Fuji Acros & Neopan 400 exit / out of production ???

<p>I just settled on Acros and Neopan 400 as additions to my favourite films after trying a few developers and exposure indexes (was an Ilford user mostly).</p>

<p>Now the "pro" supplier in The Hague, The Netherlands where I live is telling me that he does not expect to have Neopan 400 ever again and that he has a strong suspicion that Acros will disappear from the market as well. Allegedly partly based on the rumour of the closure of a production facility in Europe.</p>

<p>Is there a truth to this rumour or does he simply not feel like stocking Fuji alongside Kodak and Ilford for the relatively small demand?</p>

<p>Thanks for your answers, 'cause the guy got me worried,</p>

<p> </p>

<p><strong><em>"Now the "pro" supplier in The Hague, The Netherlands where I live is telling me that he does not expect to have Neopan 400 ever again and that he has a strong suspicion that Acros will disappear from the market as well." </em> </strong></p>

<p><strong><em>Allegedly partly based on the rumour of the closure of a production facility in Europe.</em> </strong><br>

<strong><em>Is there a truth to this rumour or does he simply not feel like stocking Fuji alongside Kodak and Ilford for the relatively small demand?</em> </strong></p>

<p>Hopefully it is just a rumour. I didn`t notice anything about discontinuing the B&W films on Fuji`s website.</p>

<p>Fuji has film production in Europe? All the Fujifilm available to me in the US is Made In Japan, even the gray market stuff from Brazil.</p>

<p>I don't believe your supplier's story. I just checked my usual web sites and I don't see any shortage of those films. The Legacy Pro films (which are rebrands of those Fuji films) are also in stock.</p>

<p>The popularity of certain films can be very regional, even localized. Professional photographers go with what they know and get on with the business. Students especially, but also hobby photographers are more swayed by trend, and magazine articles.</p>

<p>Thanks alot for your answers. It appears thus to be, hopefully, an isolated rumour from one reluctant store.</p>

<p>Just for completeness sake the closing factory was according to the guy producing paper. He mentioned it in his story about the films but he only implied that it had to do with the films.</p>

<p>@ Kevin,<br>

Fuji b&w films are generally appreciated by the pro/advanced amateur crowd but are considered difficult by some in this country. A film that easily gives very good results with Rodinal is by all means an easy film in my book ;-)</p>

<p>I agree with you Alwyn, and hoping for you that there's a better end to the story. Not much fun for me in Norway I'm afraid. Here the trend was forced by a conspiracy between sellers and the small photography press who depend on advertising revenue from those same sellers. I was sick of being told "No one is using film any more". What they meant of course "<em>we don't <strong>want</strong> anyone to use film anymore</em> " People do as they are told here. But as with many things, I find that there is still a functioning world over the border. So I buy when in London, or elsewhere in Europe. Yes there is still film in Norway, but from very few outlets, and little to choose from.</p>

<p>In fairness to retailers anywhere in the world, it is difficult to maintain a full range of film to keep us all happy. The profit margin is minimal, and to be stuck with a box that has become a slow mover must be a worry. It takes a lot of work with all fingers on the pulse to make a profit. Making a loss is easy.<br>

Good luck!</p>

<p>I'm with Larry. I love to buy local, but if the seller won't stock or special order what I want, to Hell with them! I'll buy online. I seriously doubt the veracity of what this guy is saying. If Fuji killed those two films they would effectively kill their pro B&W line. ACROS 100 is a great film.</p>

<p>Ovious but then we always have to deal with this. I found the best answer always comes from the Owner. I then tend to ask the person or people. My best guess is to ask Fuji and iff it was the old days the dealer that told you that would get a nasty gram. I know this as I used to sell film in the early 70's and we got letters and quicker messages all the time from Kodak.</p>

<p>This then maybe a cause for concern ... an omen?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>(though Neopan Acros in 4x5 recently disappeared)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>... because just prior to the announcement about Agfapan 25 going, I was asking about APX 100 sheet film, 5x7 in particular. A person at Agfa in Sweden advised me that they had some stock, but would not be getting any more .. words similar to Alwin's opening question. Hmm ...</p>

<p>Question for someone here who has some processed 'Legacy': Just curious, can you please tell us what the frame numbering is like on the film? Is it identical to that which is packaged 'Fuji' ? In Oslo, a local photo chain with it's own branding, offered 35mm negative film > 'High quality made in Germany'. To me that simply means Agfa. When I got my first roll back, yep, the only difference was the packaging. They sold off a lot of Optima in this way. Crazy really, I hadn't realized until late in the game, and would have bought heaps had I known earlier.</p>

<p>Fuji closed their production plant of film in Tilburg, the Netherlands a few years ago. Since then the production was made in Japan again.<br>

Acros 100 and Neopan 400 (and Neopan 1600) we have in stock in 135-36 and 120 rollfilm in large quantities in Ravenstein, the Netherlands so there is no fear to loose this films. <a href="http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl">http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl</a><br>

Our supply is via Germany because they are cheaper then Fuji Benelux but it's comming from the same (Europe) stock. Buying from UK have bank costs involved and transport costs which are much higher then buying from the main land in Europe.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I believe Acros is definitely safe for the time being; When I go to the local Meijer store (large midwest supermarket chain) they will have somewhere between 80-100 rolls of Acros out on the shelf, which is a larger amount than the C41 films they carry. But it's the only B&W film they sell. Getting off topic, they also sell Sensia 100.</p>

<p>Woow, that is more response than I ever expected; Clearly us film shooters are still alive and kicking albeit with an undertone of concern at times. Thanks to all. I feel more reassured.</p>

<p>I will check tomorrow with the nicer shop in town where the responsible person (seasoned pro photog) is both very knowledgeable and kind (and an Acros user). He would know any gossip in the world of film. I will keep you informed.</p>

<p>Sometimes these rumors is to make you convert yourself to the Digital age so that saleperson can rip you off for a digital entry slr while a used manual film camera can take far superb pictures. So think smart =]</p>

<p>Personally I used Neopan and I was surprised by the unique look it gives. If someone say Fuji is stopping the Neopan line tell him or her to pinch themselve and ask if they are still sleeping because film is here to stay!</p>