Darkroom forum. Equipment and printing?

m._hilo

I have been away from Photonet for some years, perhaps I am searching in the wrong place and this is a dumb question.

Is there a forum on the analog darkroom? About enlargers and about printing? Or has Photonet given up?

What are you looking for?

I was wondering if people with questions about analog printing, enlargers and other darkroom equipment ask questions here in Photonet.

Not that much for myself. I teach photography and stimulate students to find solutions themselfes. Forums are one way to do that.

Edited by m._hilo

I don't see a point in having endless number of sub-forums. It is not my impression that anyone shifts through old contents on photo.net before asking a question anyway - if they did, there would be no questions to answer.

Just ask your question and someone will likely answer.

There are many members with years of analogue knowledge who may have switched to digital and wouldn't hang out in an obscure sub-forum, yet will happily share their knowledge if they see your question.

Besides I think most users are looking at the "New Posts" view anyway, so it doesn't really matter much in which forum it was posted.

• Like 1
Niels

I don't see a point in having endless number of sub-forums. It is not my impression that anyone shifts through old contents on photo.net before asking a question anyway - if they did, there would be no questions to answer.

Just ask your question and someone will likely answer.

There are many members with years of analogue knowledge who may have switched to digital and wouldn't hang out in an obscure sub-forum, yet will happily share their knowledge if they see your question.

Besides I think most users are looking at the "New Posts" view anyway, so it doesn't really matter much in which forum it was posted.

I see your point about the endless number of sub-forums, but I respectfully have a different opinion. When you look at the number of messages Film and Processing has, I feel the analog darkroom will have the same or more. Or is the Film and Processing forum also an obscure forum?

My students do read the posts in the forums because they're eager to find out more about analog photography.

Instead of creating another forum you could ask the powers to be to just add Printing and equipment to the Film and Processing forum title.

So would read: 'Film and Processing / Printing and Equipment'.

(Or just ask them for an sub-forum or whatever)...

Edited by richard a
  • Like 1

If we’re to believe the new owners’ rep, the site is about to get a redesign and we’re about to be given a chance to preview and comment before the new design goes into effect. My guess is that no changes to the current format are going to happen and that feedback should be given once, and if, we see the new plan.

"You talkin' to me?"

I agree that, mostly, between this one and "Film and Processing" is usually where enlarging and printing go.

Black and white printing, and film developing, can go here. Color can go in "Film and Processing".

That isn't so obvious, but that seems to be the usual place, and the place where they are expected.

• Like 1

-- glen

Instead of creating another forum you could ask the powers to be to just add Printing and equipment to the Film and Processing forum title.

So would read: 'Film and Processing / Printing and Equipment'.

Yes, that makes sense, with perhaps adding the word darkroom: 'Film and Processing / Printing and darkroom Equipment'

Black and white film, paper, chemicals, enlargers, and printing all go here.

Color film, paper, chemicals, enlargers, and printing go in "Film and Processing".

As enlargers can be used either way, they can go in either one.

Discussion of the Leica Monochrom probably has other places to go.

• Like 1

-- glen

I teach photography and stimulate students to find solutions themselfes.

So we can expect your students asking questions here, rather than in your classroom?

The answers here have no guarantee of correctness or accuracy, in fact a diversity of opinion is almost guaranteed.

• Like 1

So we can expect your students asking questions here, rather than in your classroom?

The answers here have no guarantee of correctness or accuracy, in fact a diversity of opinion is almost guaranteed.

You understood wrong and it case it interests you: they ask me plenty of questions and they get plenty of answers from me. But that's just me, there are many roads that lead to Rome. Today's students have an open world in front of them and they know very well how to access it. Also, they can certainly deal with a diversity of opinions.

• Like 1

Hi, the short answer is "no". There is a 'digital darkroom' forum and as others have said, there is a wealth of experience amongst PN members who (I suspect) would be happy to share their experience with your students.

Having said that (as an exclusive digital photographer), Google turns up quite a few sites/articles on developing and post-processing photos shot on film. TBH, you students can easily find these too. I'm sure PN members that are more familiar with film development and PP would be more than happy to answer any questions that your students have!

More specifically, here or in other forums, there are questions from students that aren't actually useful, but are asked just to satisfy a class requirement.

Most here are eager to answer questions that actually help people.

Not that I believe the OP's students would ask less useful questions, but it does happen.

(And he didn't mention a class requirement to ask questions.)

-- glen

More specifically, here or in other forums, there are questions from students that aren't actually useful, but are asked just to satisfy a class requirement.

Who determined that a student fulfilling a class requirement isn’t useful?

I prefer not to project beyond what I see here, which is a seemingly sincere teacher interested in a place of value for his students. The skepticism seems misplaced and can be as disturbing a feature of the Internet as class-assigned questions, not to mention possibly giving the teacher an indication of the usefulness of PN for his students.

• Like 2

"You talkin' to me?"

Who determined that a student fulfilling a class requirement isn’t useful?

I prefer not to project beyond what I see here, which is a seemingly sincere teacher interested in a place of value for his students. The skepticism seems misplaced and can be as disturbing a feature of the Internet as class-assigned questions, not to mention possibly giving the teacher an indication of the usefulness of PN for his students.

Yes, as far as I know the OP is sincere in asking, and the students are sincere in their questions.

But not all teachers and students are, and so some people question them.

Often when I reply to a question, I answer not only for the one asking, but for others, maybe many years later, with the same question.

Some have responded to such questions indicating the last time the person asking signed on. (Not me.)

Many forums are happy to answer homework problems, but ask that they indicate that they are homework questions.

-- glen

For sure, although if you're not paying close attention you can post the wrong pictures or further "reanimation of dead tissue" :rolleyes:

Edited by JDMvW

I am afraid I have been unclear from the start, sorry. English is not my native language.

I was looking for an active and practical archive based on the posts and experiences of folks familiar with the analog darkroom.

I was not looking for a place to send students with questions, but I accept my use of language may have suggested that.

At the Photography Academy in Europe where I teach, there is no requirement whatsoever instructing students to ask questions at photography forums. I have also taught at two universities in New York and at a university in Perth. Again I never heard about this.

If Photonet agrees it is important to build archives from the posts, my suggestion is to use the words Analog Darkroom. After all, it works for Digital Darkroom.

Edited by m._hilo

You understood wrong and it case it interests you: they ask me plenty of questions and they get plenty of answers from me.

You understood wrong and it case it interests you: they ask me plenty of questions and they get plenty of answers from me.

Fair enough.

Except in the past there have been crowds of very similar questions being asked almost simultaneously by new members who's back story turns out that they're taking a photo course and are pretty obviously fishing for an answer to a homework question. Not the same as developing self-learning and research skills.

But no, there's no specific Darkroom forum. "Film & Processing" and "Black and White" would seem to cover most of Darkroom work anyway.

I suspect few people 'dabble' in wet (darkroom) colour-printing these days, because it really needs a hefty investment in equipment, together with a big commitment of time to gain practical skills, which are almost impossible to gain remotely by just reading about the subject. Plus better colour fidelity is now got from scanning/digitising and subsequent 'dry' printing, and more economically.

It is a little interesting that there is a "black and white" but not "color" forum.

Black and white film questions go either here, or in "Film and Processing",

but color film questions only go in "Film and Processing".

In any case, it mostly seems to work. This one, and "Film and Processing"

are my favorites to check, and I wouldn't notice if someone posted in the

wrong one.

-- glen

... If Photonet agrees it is important to build archives from the posts, my suggestion is to use the words Analog Darkroom. After all, it works for Digital Darkroom.

Just thinking aloud... If we have to name "digital darkroom" to the digital image edition, I prefer the term "traditional" darkroom instead of "analog" darkroom... I can't understand why everything that isn't digital should be called "analog"... :D

• Like 4