Continuous Auto Focus

I've never tried it Sanford.  Have you?    I think my fuji has some sort of capability, butI've never used it.  Did you get results you liked and if you've used it, is there certain situations that it worked well in Street photography?.  I may be a little old school as I've always panned on moving subjects though not always well.

73716664_3baea0cccc_o.gif

• Like 1

"Does this feature have a place in street photography?"

Sure it does. Lets say you are taking pictures of a Parade with people comming towards you. Its easier to let the camera do the focusing instead of having to press the shutter button constantly to get good focus. I use it at weddings when the wedding party is walking down the isle. Never used it for street photography though.

• Like 2

The same old cameras and the same old walk every day...I'm bored so I'm exploring "art filters" & "scene modes" etc for a change of pace and a different look. Thought I would give CAF a try today.

3 hours ago, dave_thomas8 said:

'd expect a considerably higher rate of battery discharge. That might occasionally matter.

My Fuji did eat through a battery fairly quickly, but it does that anyway. I like the CAF, got lots of well focused photos, kind of like a find tuned Spot AF.

• Like 2

Not for me. I learned how to focus manually when there was no other way. I thought earlier AF rigs were easily fooled or defeated and while its miles better than it used to be it can still focus on the wrong thing if it’s moving fast. For street work I just do it myself.

Rick H.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tony Parsons said:

Sorry - possibly only Pentax - Back Button Focus

Yes, Fujis have a back button focus button that also serves as the exposure lock, can't use both at the same time. I was using the 23mm (35mm equiv) yesterday. The 23mm is a "new generation" Fuji lens with much faster AF that the original lenses but still much slower than my older Panasonics (GF1/GX1).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Sanford said:

Yes, Fujis have a back button focus button that also serves as the exposure lock, can't use both at the same time. I was using the 23mm (35mm equiv) yesterday. The 23mm is a "new generation" Fuji lens with much faster AF that the original lenses but still much slower than my older Panasonics (GF1/GX1).

I use the back button for exposure lock. It's a little slower but not too much. I have to use the EV mode to really get the benefit because of thE WYSWYG. I'll have to try the CAF.  That would be on a Fuji.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Very late to this thread but why not?

As far as I'm aware, there are no 'rules' for street photography..

My gut feeling is that it depends what your real subject is: the location (with passers by) or the pasers by with the location as a backround. Your choice will determine your exposure settings.

I'm with @dcstep in that if the subjects need to be sharly in focus  then  continuous autofocus on the 'passers by' is the way to go. An alternative is to focus on and expose for the location and photograph 'fleeing'' passers by in motivatiion.

As @httpwww.photo.netbarry well illustrates, you can also strike a balance beween 'clarity of subject' and 'clarity of background.

Mike

• Like 3