Picture Window Pro (PWP)

Picture Window Pro is a Powerful Photo Editing Package that tries to mimick what goes on in the Darkroom as far as photo editing. For 2023 they are offering a Free download of Version 8, their latest and last version https://www.dl-c.com/Downloads.html

The last version I downloaded was version 5.  It wasn't always free, but it was much cheaper than Photoshop and Lightroom. The good thing was that once purchased, you had 24/7 access to the Author of this software. He would usually get back to you via email within a couple of days. The software was kind of quirky in that it worked like no other photo editing software I ever used. It used a Tree-based method of editing that preserved each and every change you made incase you had to go back to it. So if you made 20 changes to an image, you would have 20 versions of the image on your screen. I think Photoshop found an easier way by using the "History" function. There is/was an extensive manual both in print and online. I heard that version 8 does not handle RAW files , but I think there was a plugin to allow you to handle RAW files (you might have to contact the author?) ? My version handles all types files including RAW easily. I still use this software for certain things because it does it better than more popular software packages, but unfortunately, due to its "quirkiness", or way of doing things, it never became an Industry standard. 

• Like 1

I used PWP for many years, mostly because of the low cost and not wanting to delve into the Photoshop universe.  Started using PWP when I bought my first DSLR, a Canon D60, in 2002 (not the 60D which came out much later).  PWP was much, much cheaper than Photoshop, and the original license was usable, without additional cost, for all subsequent updates.  I transitioned to LR about 10 years later when I started using Olympus cameras in order to simplify my workflow, since I would have needed to use both the Canon and Olympus proprietary software to convert RAW files into 16 bit TIFFs, and PWP to process the converted files.  I don't believe the RAW converter provided by Digital Light and Color worked very well for me at the time.

It was certainly quirky, and I had a whole lot of large files floating around supporting each processed image (RAW, converted 16 bit TIFF, processed 16 bit TIFF, multiple masking files, and and JPEGs for exporting to printers and email).  Johnathan was always helpful answering questions, and I am glad version 8 is available.  Hopefully there is a user base for this.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, digitaldog said:

It's worth pointing out, Windows only. And this is pretty hilarious: "It features non-destructive image editing 

You should checkout the Embossing feature which can turn your pictures into 3D, depending on how you use it of course...

8 hours ago, hjoseph7 said:

You should checkout the Embossing feature which can turn your pictures into 3D, depending on how you use it of course...

Which has what to do with the claim of “non-destructive editing”?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

9 hours ago, hjoseph7 said:

Sorry Mr. Grinch but I would like to enjoy my Christmas season. No sense getting into any flame wars at this time. Adios Amigo 😁

So don't quote me THEN reply off-topic. 

Visual evidence for the reading impaired:

IMG_5818.jpeg

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

• 3 weeks later...

I can't believe how much better version 8 is than my older version 5. I just downloaded it to one of my computers, but now I think I will download it to my main computer. The interface is totally changed although the tools seem to be about the same. The good thing with this version is that the edit window is the same size as the original. In the older version the edit window was like a small pop-up and it was hard to see the changes applied to the original. This is much better !