Nature Unlimited, 1 December 2023

Dieter Schaefer

This is the additional weekly image thread for the Nature Forum. While images posted to this thread should still be nature in theme, it may contain a small amount of human-made objects and therefore less restricted than the Monday in Nature threads. Please see this discussion for more details: Alternative weekly thread in Nature forum

Each participant please post no more than just one image per weekly thread. Many members will appreciate any information you are willing or able to provide regarding location, shooting process, exposure settings, equipment, and information on the subject(s), including scientific and/or common names.

Osprey - again. Most of my bird photography this year at a new-to-me location was centered around an osprey nest located at a marina in South Portland.

Osprey

• Like 5
  • Excellent! 1

2 hours ago, ShunCheung said:

_Z9A9525.jpg.997234ce3d98c42a0e93759452033a95.jpg

Talk about sharp eye focus and subject separation! The eyes are so sharp one may easily examine the vein structure; the nose is very slightly less sharp. Yet the feet and the rest of the body, as well as the plant, are in a very. very soft focus, due to a narrow DOF. Great shot!

What camera (I assume the Z9) and what lens? What were the settings and the range, please?

17 hours ago, bgelfand said:

Talk about sharp eye focus and subject separation! The eyes are so sharp one may easily examine the vein structure; the nose is very slightly less sharp. Yet the feet and the rest of the body, as well as the plant, are in a very. very soft focus, due to a narrow DOF. Great shot!

What camera (I assume the Z9) and what lens? What were the settings and the range, please?

The equipment is Z9 with 100-400mm S zoom @ 400mm, f8, and 0.5 second exposure on a tripod. I used a flashlight, not electronic flash, to lit the frog. I used the 100-400 because it can focus quite close, but this is a pretty serious crop, to about 10% of the original frame area.

22 hours ago, ShunCheung said:

The equipment is Z9 with 100-400mm S zoom @ 400mm, f8, and 0.5 second exposure on a tripod.

Wow, 0.5 seconds exposure for an exposure of a living creature. That was one patient frog! (And one patient photographer) Great capture. At a 10% crop, I can see where the 45+ megapixel sensor comes in handy. BTW what ISO were you using?

Thank you for the reply and data.

Edited by bgelfand