Good news for Barnack Leica owners looking for a 28mm lens.

Cosina has announced that their new compact Voigtländer 28mm f/2.8 will be released in Leica 39mm thread mount in August 2023. (The lens will also be available in M mount and M mount with a more modern styling)

https://www.cosina.co.jp/voigtlander/en/vm-mount/color-skopar-28mm-f2-8-aspherical-ll39/

I'm quite exited, as I have been reluctantly debating with myself if I should cave in and get the TTartisan 28mm f/5.6 for a while now.

I kept hesitating for fear that the the max 5.6 aperture would be too limiting to be useful, and not to mention TTartisan's reputation of varying QC.

Cosina has an interesting option of black paint on brass with nickel plated trims which will look great on my old ca. 1933 Leica IID and support my vanity (see below).  I hope they will make a matching 28mm finder as well.

The lens is said to sell in Japan at around JPY 90,000 including 10% consumption tax. (around US$650)

Leica IId w Elmar 5cm 3.5

Edited by Niels - NHSN
  • Like 2
Niels

Why? "Simple" Chinaphobia? Personally I see the Chinese will soon be the dominant lens makers with the Japanese companies having to try and maintain a "luxury" premium that will be increasingly seen as money for nothing (a bit like Zeiss and Leica), although Japan does not generally have the same cachet, at least in the West. Soon they will be making the cameras too.

Edited by Robin Smith
Robin Smith

12 hours ago, Karim Ghantous said:

I avoid buying products made in that country. I recommend that others consider doing the same.

If you are doing it because of their human rights and labor practices, I can see your point. If you are doing it because you think they produce products inferior to other countries...I would evaluate the issue on a case by case basis. Some of their lenses for Leica bodies (M and LTM) from a performance standpoint are right up there with the best and often at a significant price discount.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SCL said:

If you are doing it because of their human rights and labor practices, I can see your point. If you are doing it because you think they produce products inferior to other countries...I would evaluate the issue on a case by case basis. Some of their lenses for Leica bodies (M and LTM) from a performance standpoint are right up there with the best and often at a significant price discount.

It has nothing to do with quality (although that has to be considered separately, on a case-by-case basis). iPhones are made in China, remember. Although I haven't bought a new phone in almost 10 years.

I am currently using a XS and it's great. I don't need a new one. In a year or two I might buy an 11 Pro, maybe. 

You know what else is made in China? Most of the world's solar panels. No, thank you.

FWIW, my Fujitsu laptop is made in Japan. And my Mac Pro is made in America. Most of my cameras and lenses are made in a variety of places, but not China. If I want a lens that's made in China, I'll buy it used.

21 hours ago, Robin Smith said:

You’re avoiding answering why you’re not buying things made in China. Are you scared the Chinese will blacklist you if you say? Clearly it’s a big secret.

Isn't it obvious? C19, slave labour, IP theft, the CCP, and so forth. I don't care about being blacklisted by them because I will never visit that country while it's run by the CCP. 

• Like 2

With Karim here, with the addition, ANYONE visiting China, North Korea, etc and being detained, should be on their own for being insane enough to even want to go there, and then expect someone else to jump through hoops like a trained pony to get them out.

• Like 3

I certainly avoid buying “Made in China” or  stuff from other oppressive countries that’s doesn’t seem to improve positively along with “diplomacy of trade” - if there’s a reasonable alternative.

With Cosina’s 28/2.8 there’s now an alternative for a 28mm in LTM.

I am not so lucky with my iPhone, but thankfully Apple is reportedly moving more production to India and Brazil. A lot of its innards will still be produced in China of course, but you can’t change the world in a day. Baby steps.

• Like 1
Niels

5 hours ago, Greg M said:

With Karim here, with the addition, ANYONE visiting China, North Korea, etc and being detained, should be on their own for being insane enough to even want to go there, and then expect someone else to jump through hoops like a trained pony to get them out.

Let's add Russia to that list. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent! 1

• 4 months later...
On 7/18/2023 at 12:54 PM, christopher_a._junker1 said:

I'm waiting for my restored IIIC so I can use a Canon Serenar f3.5 Canon 28mm with Canon finder. Great compact street camera except lately young people with digitals keep asking: "What is that"? Last time used were shots of pig racing at a county fair.

I have the Canon 35 f2.8 Serenar. beautiful little jewel of a lens.

IMG_0331.jpg

On 7/15/2023 at 6:34 AM, Niels - NHSN said:

Cosina has announced that their new compact Voigtländer 28mm f/2.8 will be released in Leica 39mm thread mount in August 2023. (The lens will also be available in M mount and M mount with a more modern styling)

https://www.cosina.co.jp/voigtlander/en/vm-mount/color-skopar-28mm-f2-8-aspherical-ll39/

I'm quite exited, as I have been reluctantly debating with myself if I should cave in and get the TTartisan 28mm f/5.6 for a while now.

I kept hesitating for fear that the the max 5.6 aperture would be too limiting to be useful, and not to mention TTartisan's reputation of varying QC.

Cosina has an interesting option of black paint on brass with nickel plated trims which will look great on my old ca. 1933 Leica IID and support my vanity (see below).  I hope they will make a matching 28mm finder as well.

The lens is said to sell in Japan at around JPY 90,000 including 10% consumption tax. (around US$650)

Leica IId w Elmar 5cm 3.5

Yes I have the LTM VC 28f2.8 C-Sk. beautiful tiny lens. Sharp edge to edge living on the M10-D

IMG_0490.jpg