Using a tablet for photo editing

I've been using a Wacom for about 15 years now and like it a lot.  Be aware that there can be issues with how old your operating system is and the tablet software so check carefully to make sure that your computer will work with the tablet.  Also be prepared for a bit of a learning curve, but I think you will find that it is worth it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sanford said:

You'd need a mouse for photo editing?

Recent iPad OS supports mouse usage and some also the Apple Pencil.

However the latest M1/M2 based iPads are as powerfull as a normal computer (and as expensive) so they are self-contained and usage in conjunction with a regular computer doesn't make much sense

• Like 2
Niels

3 hours ago, AJG said:

I've been using a Wacom for about 15 years now and like it a lot.  Be aware that there can be issues with how old your operating system is and the tablet software so check carefully to make sure that your computer will work with the tablet.  Also be prepared for a bit of a learning curve, but I think you will find that it is worth it.

Thanks AJG. I value your response especially given your long time experience with a Wacom tablet.

I have a Windows 11 Pro system and Adobe's Creative Cloud package, so I'm current with my system and editing S/W. I've been looking at Wacom for awhile and am close to pulling the trigger now. I don't mind a learning curve because my goal is to learn new techniques to get new results. 

Best regards my friend!

1 hour ago, Niels - NHSN said:

Recent iPad OS supports mouse usage and some also the Apple Pencil.

However the latest M1/M2 based iPads are as powerfull as a normal computer (and as expensive) so they are self-contained and usage in conjunction with a regular computer doesn't make much sense

In addition to my desktop (Windows 11 Pro), I have a Surface Pro 8, Windows 11 Pro, that I could use the stylus with. I actually had not thought of that until reading your reply. I tried the stylus several years ago on an older Surface Pro for writing and it felt awkward, perhaps because I was trying to take notes in a rapid-fire technical discussion - wished like hell I had learned shorthand.  As a result, I've not tried using the stylus for graphics. I think the stylus a try after connecting a larger monitor to the Surface.  Can't hurt to try the stylus.

Thanks for your feedback NHSN!

I have been a Wacom intuos user/fan for a very long time. When compatibility with an os upgrade became an issue with my M1 I decided to try using my ipad as a graphics tablet with the Astropad app & connected to my large desktop monitor (more affordable & windows compatible) - It works great but i still miss my large Wacom. I liked having more surface area to work with. I also preferred the Wacom stylus over the Apple pen. I use many different brushes for my editing and found the stylus sensitivity and angling more fluid with the Wacom. In part that is due to the workspace size, larger allowing for more gradual subtle transitioning.  I don't need all it offers (both Wacom and Astropad) for the vast majority of my photo post processing but it opens the doors... creatively.  The larger Wacom reintroduced a tactile experience to pp, which was lacking from the keyboard and mouse digital darkroom. A learning curve worth the climb for me.

Edited by inoneeye
  • Like 1

n e y e

1 hour ago, inoneeye said:

I have been a Wacom intuos user/fan for a very long time. When compatibility with an os upgrade became an issue with my M1 I decided to try using my ipad as a graphics tablet with the Astropad app & connected to my large desktop monitor (more affordable & windows compatible) - It works great but i still miss my large Wacom. I liked having more surface area to work with. I also preferred the Wacom stylus over the Apple pen. I use many different brushes for my editing and found the stylus sensitivity and angling more fluid with the Wacom. In part that is due to the workspace size, larger allowing for more gradual subtle transitioning.  I don't need all it offers (both Wacom and Astropad) for the vast majority of my photo post processing but it opens the doors... creatively.  The larger Wacom reintroduced a tactile experience to pp, which was lacking from the keyboard and mouse digital darkroom. A learning curve worth the climb for me.

Thanks ioneeye! I noted with interest your comments about the Wacom stylus' sensitivity, angling and tactile experience you describe. I also have an iPad but think that I'll explore the Surface before pulling the trigger on the Wacom. I too am interested in the larger area as are you.

Best regards my friend!

I’m a bit stuck in my ways and while I have a current I Pad I find it not useful for editing. A few years ago while planning an overseas trip I bought a lightweight laptop thinking that if it’s lost, stolen or damaged I’m not out much money. I write images through it directly to a thumb drive or an ssd so no files are lost. It’s cheaper, effective and fits into a smaller camera bag.

Rick H.

I used to have a Wacom tablet but the drivers for it are no longer working with Windows 10 and have not been updated, so it is finished. It was useful on occasion when dodging and burning, but the newer tools (e.g. content-aware editing) in LR means that I don't seem to be missing it.

Edited by Robin Smith
Robin Smith

11 hours ago, Robin Smith said:

I used to have a Wacom tablet but the drivers for it are no longer working with Windows 10 and have not been updated, so it is finished. It was useful on occasion when dodging and burning, but the newer tools (e.g. content-aware editing) in LR means that I don't seem to be missing it.

Hi Robin.

I had the same driver issue with Windows 10 and my Canon 9500F scanner. It was very frustrating but I finally found a work around and it has worked under Windows 10 and 11. I'll look for my notes. I think I focused on running in compatibility mode(?) Canon support was absolutely worthless.

Edited by mickeysimpson

11 hours ago, Robin Smith said:

OK Robin. It's a Canoscan 9950F and it is in compatibility mode. Perhaps you can get your Wacom table running in compatibility mode with the old drivers. My scanner drivers were from 2006.

• Excellent! 1

At the dawn of time, I got an Apple ][+ with an Apple graphics tablet. I loved it. did measurements, areas, and other useful things; but eventually, as I moved on, I found scanning and software (Such as Image J) superior.

The Apple Graphics Table put out enough radio waves to block out reception for a large area.

• 2 weeks later...