Jump to content

Colour in the streets


Recommended Posts

Well, street photography has always been about B/W , from today, and yesterday.. Colour, was stifled for 50 years and even today photographers use B/W and preferably film.

Is this a snobbish Art or, does B/W capture the essence of the street removing distracting colour. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

DSC_0769s.JPG.5f23b8f4f029f21e31814daea09fb1c4.JPG

Some Pasadena street corner at midnight. Might be Ektachrome 400, as that might be why it is available light.

The blue color from mercury lamps gives it a look that black and white wouldn't.

-- glen

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/14/2023 at 12:46 PM, Allen Herbert said:

Well, street photography has always been about B/W , from today, and yesterday.. Colour, was stifled for 50 years and even today photographers use B/W and preferably film.

Is this a snobbish Art or, does B/W capture the essence of the street removing distracting colour. 

 

Hmmm I think going back to Eggleston and Meyerwitz  plus the proliferation of really good photographers such as many Magnum Photo for instance, working in color have long broken that barrier. Personally, I've never felt a need to choose between them other than how I felt and thought about what I was doing photo wise.   B/W does have a certain soul for sure, at least I think it does and it does bring forth certain qualities in a different way then color because it does strip away all that bandwidth and reduce the considerations to certain essentials.  But color has its own charms and can add a richness to street photographs and a level of expressiveness different than B/W but still compelling.  So I fall on the side that would say to insist that only B/W can capture the essence of street photography would be "snobbish".  

It may be that many of us who looked at earlier street photography were mostly exposed to B/W photographers and that has conditioned our perception of what "real" street photography is, though I've moved away from the labeling of photography.  Strangely if I shoot a landscape, I still think of it as a "street" photo.  Though I am really thinking about going back to film. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • On Point 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hmm,

really good photographers such as many Magnum Photo for instance, working in color have long broken that barrier" Barry.

Yet, the value of prints in b/w, today or yesterday, far exceed the value of prints in colour. Simple fact. Particularly if they were taken with film. Real world.

Of course the argument will be it is about the Art., regardless of process Tell that to Leonardo di Vinci or many other masters. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Allen Herbert said:

Hmm,

really good photographers such as many Magnum Photo for instance, working in color have long broken that barrier" Barry.

Yet, the value of prints in b/w, today or yesterday, far exceed the value of prints in colour. Simple fact. Particularly if they were taken with film. Real world.

Of course the argument will be it is about the Art., regardless of process Tell that to Leonardo di Vinci or many other masters. who developed their own processes. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Street photography WAS mostly restricted to B&W for a long time because of the lack of high speed color films.  But, I think that the idea that color has been "shut out" is pure nonsense.  Price sales are not the way to judge, particularly when vintage prints are involved.  For one, in many cases they are older but also because a great many were printed by the photographer which adds to the value.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/26/2023 at 7:56 PM, Allen Herbert said:

But, I think that the idea that color has been "shut out" is pure nonsense" ed-farmer

You may think that but the actual reality is very different.

So, one Photographer shoots in B/W film with a Leica camera or Hasselblad, and offers high quality Platinum Prints, from B/W film. Another shoots colour, iPhone Photographs, printed digitally.

Whose website would be the most successful?

 

On 1/26/2023 at 7:56 PM, Allen Herbert said:

 

 

On 1/26/2023 at 7:56 PM, Allen Herbert said:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Allen Herbert said:

So, one Photographer shoots in B/W film with a Leica camera or Hasselblad, and offers high quality Platinum Prints, from B/W film. Another shoots colour, iPhone Photographs, printed digitally.

Whose website would be the most successful?

First, success of a "website" doesn't define who is "in or out" . . . 

More importantly, ANY photographer producing platinum prints, from a Leica, Hassy, view camera or Holga, is likely able to charge more for their photography than anyone making color prints (dye transfer excluded) is going to command.  This has NOTHING to do with street photography.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Allen Herbert said:

 

This has NOTHING to do with street photography."

Really? yet HCB also took colour photos ....rarely viewed : it was always about his B/W photos.

Methinks, with all due respect, you are not a street photographer. having little understanding of street photography.

 

 

 

22 hours ago, Allen Herbert said:

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...