Back and trying something new.

derrick_sorensen

• 1 month later...

Derrick - Welcome back to photography.

I really like the human elements in most every one of the shots!  Good facial expressions especially.

As far as critique, when looking at them, in nearly every one I said to myself I wish he had zoomed in a bit on the persons face, for that's what the image is about. I like the context, but I think I would really like the images more if they better highlighted the expressions. I would also consider blurring the background in some of them, i.e., shooting with small f-stop.

If the images are large resolution, you may want to try cropping in.  Give it a shot!

gb

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Welcome back. You people shots are generally very strong, interesting and well composed. That first shot really sucks, but might be rescued a bit by raising the shadows.

Are you shooting in RAW? Generally, many of your shadows are covering details. Shooting RAW will give you another stop of DR. In RAW conversion you can raise shadows and lower highlights. Research the technique of ETTR (Expose To The Right). Basically you raise exposure to get details in shadows, being careful not to blow out highlights. Then when you convert to JPEG, you adjust to taste and preserve the shadows that your eye saw but the camera can't see without help.

• Excellent! 1

I like the way you capture people going about day to day life in street environs.

I recommend you re-think your Shutter Speed choice for (any) Street Work.

I interrogated four images: Man with coffee; man smoking; man and woman with red wine; woman on mobile phone. The reason I looked closely at these four images was because on my Studio Monitor the Subjects appeared soft yet the plane of focus was sharp. Tell-tale Subject Movement Blur.

EXIF revealed the four images mentioned were pulled at 1/100s - I think one was 1/125s. All were shot a about ISO100. What I mean is there was plenty of light and bumping to ISO 400~800 or thereabouts, places you in a better range of Shutter Speed (and Aperture) selection.

WW                 

• Like 2
  • Excellent! 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 3/13/2023 at 11:51 AM, dcstep said:

Welcome back. You people shots are generally very strong, interesting and well composed. That first shot really sucks, but might be rescued a bit by raising the shadows.

Are you shooting in RAW? Generally, many of your shadows are covering details. Shooting RAW will give you another stop of DR. In RAW conversion you can raise shadows and lower highlights. Research the technique of ETTR (Expose To The Right). Basically you raise exposure to get details in shadows, being careful not to blow out highlights. Then when you convert to JPEG, you adjust to taste and preserve the shadows that your eye saw but the camera can't see without help.

Hey DC sorry for the late reply seems like I’m on here once a year when I’m traveling and taking pictures again lol! Thank you for the helpful feedback! I wanted the light to pop and there’s nothing in the shadowed area that really adds to the image. I will look into that technique, and yes everything is shot in RAW. My editing capability’s are that of Lightroom mobile and what I can see on my phone screen. I’ll give it a shot with the images I capture on my upcoming trip to Asia next week. Cheers! 

• Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 6:50 PM, William Michael said:

I like the way you capture people going about day to day life in street environs.

I recommend you re-think your Shutter Speed choice for (any) Street Work.

I interrogated four images: Man with coffee; man smoking; man and woman with red wine; woman on mobile phone. The reason I looked closely at these four images was because on my Studio Monitor the Subjects appeared soft yet the plane of focus was sharp. Tell-tale Subject Movement Blur.

EXIF revealed the four images mentioned were pulled at 1/100s - I think one was 1/125s. All were shot a about ISO100. What I mean is there was plenty of light and bumping to ISO 400~800 or thereabouts, places you in a better range of Shutter Speed (and Aperture) selection.

WW                 

Appreciate you taking the time to go through those images William! I agree that the images are soft, I suppose cameras have gotten a lot better and I shouldn’t be scared of higher an iso. My main focus is gonna be to avoid those softer images I’ll go get some shots and update ya!