Anger Issues

victor2

Greetings Edwin,

PhotoScape is a stand alone software, free version has most of what you need. AAs I said for 600 pesos($30 us) the pro version gives you a couple of more nice to have functions. It has served my purpose well.

There were three images stacked, my first try at this. And yes I use a focus rail, remote wireless trigger and lots of patience.

¿In camera focus stepping? not familiar with this. I am an old film and chemical type, I can barely work my phone.....

Hi Victor,

I’m not familiar with canon bodies but some cameras will automatically step the focus through a range to be combined later in a stack giving an apparent increased depth of focus. 
Or you can do it with a rail or focus step manually.

I usually only focus stack for magnifications greater than about 3x. 

Test

At this size, the stacking looks good, although the similar colors of the ant and the background make it a bit hard to see. What often happens is halos around edges, particularly if the surface behind the edge isn't close.

There is no problem using a rail (in most cases) if it's what's most comfortable for you, but you can also simply rotate the lens to change focus a little between shots. That's what I do. If you get to very high magnification, that's another matter.