Older full frame sensor vs. better AF for a beginner?

I'm down to a Sony a7ii vs the a6400 as a Xmas gift for my son who wants to get in to photography. I'm already in Sony E mount, so think he should stick with the same.

Should I go with the a7ii, which is older, not as many AF points, and I'm sure slower AF, or the APS sensor a6400 with way more AF points and, I'm sure, lightning fast AF?

I don't envision he will be using the camera for videos, just still life/landscape/abstract type stuff. He has a good eye for composition and contrast and shapes.

10 hours ago, gmanfsu1973 said:

"just still life/landscape/abstract type stuff"

Sounds like he may not need lightning fast AF and state of the art subject tracking.  I would think the AF on the a7ii should be fast enough for the intended use.  FF lenses will cost more and be larger/heavier.

For tracking my 20 month old granddaughter, I would probably go with the a6400 though.

Edited by Ken Katz
  • Like 1

Is your son aware you are planning to make this purchase, if not I suggest you include him in the decision/research. A more successful outcome is likely if he is involved, treat him like a young adult not a child.  

Ruling out video may come back to bite you.

Edited by Gerald Cafferty

Indeed, treat him like an adult escape the child thing.

Personally, I prefer Fuji to Sony. Seem more serious photo folk, with constant updates to improve their existing range; other than just selling boxes.

Okay, everyone has been sold on the hype of full frame. The reality, is, which has been proved time and time again, that on even a large print you would not be able to see any significant difference. between sensors. Really.

But hype and marketing can sell anybody anything. Hence, that's why they make the big bucks.

Edited by Allen Herbert

As far as asking him, this is a surprise gift for him, so asking is out of the question. He has no idea or expectation of this magnitude of gift.

I bought an a7iv last year and the few times I've been able to get out, he enjoyed it and soaked up all I could teach (which was limited as I'm still learning the camera and hadn't shot seriously in over a decade). So if he sticks with it and takes care of his but the older model winds up limiting him, he will have the ability to use my a7iv.

As for FF vs APS-C, I've heard that the image quality isn't as big of a deal as it was 10 years or so ago, but I always wished for easier wide angle when I had my D200 and I've always heard that you get much smoother bokeh from a FF sensor. Is that no longer true?

I just kind of feel that the a6400 kinda looks like a P&S instead of a real camera. Psychologically, I think the more real camera feel of the a7ii would give him a greater sense of accomplishment/advancement than the a6400. I know that was how I felt when I went from my N65 to my F100...

I don't know either camera but - out of interest - I looked up a couple of comparisons. Given their 5 year release date difference, the functional differences (apart from APC vs FF sensor) seem relatively small.

One thing I note is that the form, ergonomics and sensor of the a7ii are much closer to your a7iv than the a6400. So you son might appreciate getting a functionally close and similar camera to yours (which he's used to) rather than the a6400 which looks and feels very different. Also, if you share lenses, the fact that both the a7ii and a7iv are FF may be important.

The quality of output (FF vs APS) is probably not really worth fussing about, despite what one reads on sites like these. I think the A6400 may be a bit snappier in use. I still would pick the A7ii as the A7 series are an ongoing series, while I suspect the A6000 series may not be. The number of expressly APS lenses is also less than the number of new and s/h FF E series lenses.

• Like 1
Robin Smith