Platform Migration Update - Oct25th

mjensen

On 10/28/2022 at 6:32 AM, mickeysimpson said:

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks for this, Mickey. Very useful!

I can see just one photo that I uploaded in Octber (and not my older ones) but I'm sure all the 'Galleries/Albums/photos" stuff will get sorted out soon. FWIW, I've never used the PN Galleries/Albums either as an on-line 'backup' or as a place to share photos with non PN-members. So I could easily create new Galleries/Albums. I'm still pleased that @mjensen is keeping everyone up to date on what's going on and responding to specific problems that members have experienced.

• Like 1

As to just ignoring the things that irritate me, I can tolerate a bit of that.  My main concern is that these irritations will come to reflect an overall change in the character of the site.  You're right, though, za33photo, assuming that we still will have galleries to which we can post, it might be useful to continue to use the site.  Regardless, I still hope to remain involved in posting photos to forums.

On 10/28/2022 at 6:54 AM, Laura Weishaupt said:

Greetings Mickey,

Thanks for the consideration. I did not have images in any portfolio/gallery/album on the old site. I didn't lose anything.

I don't have any trouble finding  the gallery section. The current and ongoing problem for me, as stated above, is that I have no mechanism by which to add a photo to any heading in the Gallery section. I get a box that says "there's nothing here yet" There are the little boxes for sorting, but no means to add an image.

Also stated above, images belonging to OTHER PEOPLE are currently in MY gallery under the heading "Image Comments". I made comments on them years ago, but they should not be in MY gallery. These images need to be with their owner. There is no way to get rid of them. There are 3 pages of images that don't belong to me ranging from 2012 - 2017. (I stated 10 years worth in error) I have looked in the galleries of other people and I don't see this situation anywhere else.

Currently the Gallery/portfolio/album section of this site is totally nonfunctional for me. What's the point of having a "Gallery" but not being able to hang a picture in it?  I'm not going to ask again about this. I've done so enough times. The powers that be will either fix it, or not.

I think I understand your issue now. I've not been very active for 2+ years due to declining health, so my PN activity has been minimal as well. I'm going to give it a go to try and post a photo to the Black and White Gallery, 

I'll let you know how that works and ask that you confirm that I've understood your issue correctly. 🙂 

Hi Laura.

Assuming that I now grasp what you're trying to do, I went through the process to add a photo to a specific gallery and my personal PN gallery.  Here are the steps I followed that were successful at loading my photo to a specific public gallery, Black and White. 

I hope this is helpful.

First, I use Windows 11 Pro and am unfamiliar with equivalent OS commands or dialog boxes for other systems.

1.       Select “Explore" and “Gallery

2.       Select the green “Add Images” button on the right side of the “Gallery” window.

3.       The Choose Category window opens with a drop-down box displaying the public gallery names.

4.       Scroll through the public gallery names and select the public gallery you want to post your photo to. I am selecting “Black and White”.

5.       The “Add Images” window opens and displays three buttons labeled 1) Set copyright on all; 2) Set Credit on all; and Notification settings. A circular icon is also displayed with a plus sign labeled Add Images.

6.       Select “Add Images” icon and follow your system dialog to select the image and click “Open”. You may repeat this step if you are uploading several images.

7.       Your selected image(s) now appear in the “Add Images” window.

8.       If you are uploading several images, you may set the copyright and credit information using the “Set Copyright on all” and “Set credit for all” buttons in the top left of the “Add Images” window. Alternatively, you can enter this information for a single image in steps 13 and 14 below.

9.       Select the “Notification settings” button at the top left of the “Add Images” window. Turn on the “notification slider” and the “Save” button if you wish to be notified of comments on your photo.

10.   Select your uploaded image and a new dialog appears on the right side of the “Add Images” window.

11.   Enter or edit the entry in the text box under the heading “Caption” on the right side of the “Add Images” window.

12.   Enter or edit the entry in the text box under the heading “Description” on the right side of the “Add Images” window.

13.   Select the plus symbol under the heading “Credit” and enter the appropriate credit for the photo on the right side of the “Add Images” window.

14.   Select the plus symbol under the heading “Copyright” and enter the appropriate copyright information on the right side of the “Add Images” window.

15.   Select “Save Details” button under the copyright text box.

16.   Review your entries.

17.   When you are satisfied with your entries, you may select the green “Submit all images” button in the lower right corner of the “Add Images” window.

18.   The screen will indicate that your image is being uploaded.

19.   The system will open the gallery page that you selected in step 4, above.

20.   You can navigate to your profile and personal PN gallery to see your new image.

Walla as in Walla Walla, Washington!

• Excellent! 2

12 hours ago, mickeysimpson said:

Walla as in Walla Walla, Washington!

Mickey,

Yakima! That's a lot of steps. I was unaware of public portfolios. Thank you for the incredible effort.

Coincidently, my husband posted to the public Macro forum, so we looked at his gallery. Yes, those images are there. But, this isn't a viable solution. We should be able to add a photo to our own gallery/portfolio/album from within our own profile, and then have control over it's display.

I'm looking at other options like Flickr. If anyone is missing a photo it might be in my, or my husband's gallery under "Image Comments". Page after page of other folk's images we both made comments on.

2 hours ago, Laura Weishaupt said:

Mickey,

Yakima! That's a lot of steps. I was unaware of public portfolios. Thank you for the incredible effort.

Coincidently, my husband posted to the public Macro forum, so we looked at his gallery. Yes, those images are there. But, this isn't a viable solution. We should be able to add a photo to our own gallery/portfolio/album from within our own profile, and then have control over it's display.

I'm looking at other options like Flickr. If anyone is missing a photo it might be in my, or my husband's gallery under "Image Comments". Page after page of other folk's images we both made comments on.

I think we can all agree that this far too many steps to post a photo. Matt Jenson has stated that they will work on improving PN navigation.

I hope that I am wrong, but I'm not sure how dedicated the migration team is to pushing through the last "10%".  Keeping my fingers crossed. 

It’s PN. My guess, based on history, is that from here it will be a slow slog, yet I expect refinements to happen, up to a point. Hard to imagine it will ever be fluid on all levels. My policy for several years or close to a decade now with PN is to get out of it what I can, participate in the aspects of the site that work for me, and have few expectations of it being fully functional in all aspects. I’ve found other outlets for things I can’t do or can no longer do here and still partake of what interests me. Works for me. Good luck, everyone. 

• Like 3

"You talkin' to me?"

Considering a wholesale move to SmugMug but I am not sure what images I have lost amongst the 8,000 that were corrupted and lost here. And still no way to see "albums/galleries". Very distressing as is. Is there any update on the album/gallery visibility issue? And how can I get a list of photos that were corrupted and lost? Will post this to Photo.Net Site Help forum for max visibility.

My recollection is that mjensen said he was able to spend 20% of his work time on the site.  Assuming the usual 5 day 40 hour week, he was here last Friday, and will be here again.  Resources for the relaunch appear very slim and from previous reports, income from the site the same.  I can understand a business decision to spend  in line with income.  Personally, I would prefer the site continue rather than shut down.  I continue to do what I can to render support with hope for a more successful future.  

• Like 4

On 11/1/2022 at 7:45 AM, Sanford said:

When I go to my "Content" and hit the foreward or back arrow, it goes to someone else's content!? Any word on the Galleries return timeline?

My biggest dislike.  It seems to go into the topic streams, and that whole part of the site functioning basically sucks and needs re-doing.  If you want to follow a genre then it should be from within the genre.  If you want to look at someone's photos or your own than the navigation should allow that.  I hope our administrator is tracking these comments.  Because it really is pretty poorly implemented.

• Like 2

On 11/8/2022 at 4:25 PM, Sandy Vongries said:

My recollection is that mjensen said he was able to spend 20% of his work time on the site.  Assuming the usual 5 day 40 hour week, he was here last Friday, and will be here again.  Resources for the relaunch appear very slim and from previous reports, income from the site the same.  I can understand a business decision to spend  in line with income.  Personally, I would prefer the site continue rather than shut down.  I continue to do what I can to render support with hope for a more successful future.  

I find my optimism slowly drifting to acceptance...

We are now moving onward to 3 weeks without any update--and no changes to the platform.  Whatever forum exists anywhere that is active has one thing in common--its members are the value and engine of that forums success and usefulness.

There are so many little things that ought to be cleaned up by now; unused menu items, inconsistent permissions between member groups, enabling of personal albums, NSFW permissions, profile fields, so on and so forth.  And yes, some of us have made notifications, and even provided fixes.  

Hopefully, @mjensen will pop in some time this weekend and provide an update.  Comments good or bad are certainly welcome at this time.  I would PM him on this, but his box of late always tells me "unable to accept messages at this time."

I can post messages and photos, and enjoy the time spent here with the PN community.  That all works and makes me happy...

Edited by PapaTango

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

7 hours ago, PapaTango said:

I find my optimism slowly drifting to acceptance...

With regard to PN, the former was probably never really a viable option, though it was worth a try. I've lately been fluctuating more between acceptance and resignation. Like you, there's enough here still, though the losses are significant. The false promises of, at minimal, communication are also not that unexpected but are unfortunate.

Edited by samstevens

"You talkin' to me?"

Always hopeful. Now the latest thing I've noticed is if you go to the gallery>users albums, there's "member Albums". It seems there's just one album available. When you start using the arrows to advance through it, it actually stays in that user's album.  The site needs to implement that for our own galleries. Hope that is on the list accomplish soon.

Dopo tre settimane di novità resto molto deluso da Photonet. La divisione delle foto in gallerie è dispersiva, fa perdere il controllo della produzione dei membri e non aiuta alla visione complessiva. Ho l’impressione che si sia inaridito il rapporto tra utente e sito e soprattutto tra utenti e utenti. Non c’è più la soddisfazione di vedere votata o commentata una propria foto. Ritengo piuttosto singolare che per dare importanza alle gallerie si importino foto di anni fa, solo per dimostrare che le gallerie sono ricche di immagini. Per quanto riguarda la propria gestione, non riesco più a trovare le gallerie delle mie precedenti foto. Immagino che la trasmigrazione abbia comportato difficoltà, ma non è stata migliorativa rispetto al passato e soprattutto non accontenta un utente dal 2004 vostro fedele compagno.

sergio Gavardi

• Like 2

@sgavardi I don't speak Italian but this a rough (Google) EN translation of your post. Just so that not all non-Italian speakers need to do the same translation. Please correct as necessary.

After three weeks with [mike: no?] news, I am very disappointed with Photonet. The division of photos into galleries is fragmented, makes members lose control of the production and does not help the overall vision. I have the impression that the relationship between the user and the site - and above all between users and users - has dried up. There is no longer the satisfaction of seeing one's own photo voted or commented on. I find it rather strange that to give importance to the galleries, photos from years ago are imported, just to demonstrate that the galleries are full of images.  I can no longer find the galleries of my previous photos. I imagine that the migration has led to difficulties, but it hasn't been an improvement compared to the past and above all it doesn't satisfy this user, a faithful companion since 2004.

Mike

• Like 3

• 1 month later...