Platform Migration Update - Oct25th

mjensen

So sad that this site seems to be falling by the wayside, no-one seems to be doing anything apart from the photographers and some of the Mods. Even many of the Mods haven't visited for years1 The site needs sorting to make it more user friendly but has the potential to be a really fun forum. If there is anyone out there in authority please let us know what is going on.

12 minutes ago, tony_leinster said:

So sad that this site seems to be falling by the wayside, no-one seems to be doing anything apart from the photographers and some of the Mods. Even many of the Mods haven't visited for years1 The site needs sorting to make it more user friendly but has the potential to be a really fun forum. If there is anyone out there in authority please let us know what is going on.

At this point, it's up to the users to make what we can given the basic tools we have. There IS NO administration who is listening or active and the Mods have done and continue to do all they can. It's only our own initiative and participation that's going to make this work, even with all the flaws left in place when the redesign was abandoned. The sooner we stop wondering if anyone out there cares or is going to do something, the better we'll all be because it will show that we have faced reality.

• Like 2

"You talkin' to me?"

6 minutes ago, tony_leinster said:

The problem is, who is paying for this going forward?

If it's important for you to know this, the information on who owns PN is given in several threads throughout the site. Check through relevant threads in Site Help and Casual. I'm not clear on how knowing who is paying for PN addresses the problems you have with the site, but that information is out there. Attempts have been made to contact listed persons in charge to no avail.

"You talkin' to me?"

Exactly my point, no one seems to be running the site apart from a few mods. I know it is powered by Envision but they normally charge fees so is anyone paying them? The person who was setting up the new version of the site has not been active for some time. If you know who actually owns or runs the site can you let me know, I can find no information other than historic references. I am only interested in what happens going forward. I have been a member here for many years and am concerned for the future 

I know several contact people have been mentioned by a couple of members who’ve researched it. They are in threads in the last 3 months but, since my point exactly is that it’s a waste of time, I don’t want to take the time to find them. If you’ve looked through recent threads and can’t find the info, I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor. 

"You talkin' to me?"

1 hour ago, Brian R. said:

@samstevens Has this site really been abandoned? I've been away for a bit and been poking around wondering what happened.

We have no official word. One person communicated to us regularly during the redesign and migration to the new platform. For a few weeks, work was being done. About 2-3 months ago all noticeable work stopped and the person communicating completely disappeared. Attempts to contact owners have been fruitless. That’s all I got. 

Edited by samstevens
  • Like 1
  • On Point 1

"You talkin' to me?"

Here is what is known--it should settle some of the debate.  Most of this has already been related.

PN was acquired as a part of Fiverr's interest and purchase in Creative Live--which was our owner of that time.  Fiverr saw Creative Live as an adjunct to their freelance service offerings.  Only one person at Fiverr was interested in PN, Matt Jensen.  Leadership had no idea of what to do with the website.  He advocated for the project, which required changing forum platforms.  Fiverr uses Invision Community (this brand of forum software) and was migrated to it.

Fiverr purchased a yearlong license from them and their hosting service in late August of last year.  It is a reasonable cost, so there is no fear that finance will shut down our photographic home!

Several of us were working with Matt on changes.  Then he was pulled off the project and we have received no further communications since October 23, 2022.  The forum core is stable--the issues deal with things that were never set up as part of completing the forum setup.

A 'campaign' has been underway since late November to contact anyone with influence or control.  This is a directed effort, in that the message is very consistent across contacts--please provide us an explanation, an administrator, or let us self-administrate.  I have yet to reach anyone who knows anything--and it always gets kicked "upstairs."  This work will continue--so those who want to "rattle the chain" I invite to PM me here on the board to maintain message consistency.  Nothing worse than many voices with many different ideas...

That's it right now.  Let's enjoy each other's comradery and post some photos!

Edited by PapaTango
Space aliens made me do it
  • Like 2
  • Excellent! 1

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

1 hour ago, PapaTango said:

Nothing worse than many voices with many different ideas...

Huh? Thanks for a fact-based and knowing explanation of the ongoing situation as well as an acknowledgment of your own efforts on our behalf, which are most appreciated … but you might want to consider a rewrite of this gem. 🙂

Edited by samstevens

"You talkin' to me?"

No one of us speaks for everyone and it’s clear that different members have different needs, so it makes sense that a variety of ideas might get expressed simultaneously. The powers that be don’t seem interested in any of those voices right now, but if they were interested, they ought to be able to handle the various and sometimes differing needs within a community like PN. If they can’t, that’s their problem, not ours. No need to add the charged meme of “triggering” to the discussion. It’s just a pointed and silly distraction. 

Edited by samstevens
  • Excellent! 1

"You talkin' to me?"

There seems to be new activity with regard to album creation. For one, the Members Album category in the Gallery is now unlocked! Also, there appears to be a new administrator listed under Staff.  Hopefully this trend will continue into the New Year.

An administrator (who goes by the name of TGOPS) who has suddenly become active has removed a pin from a thread. A pin means that a thread is pinned to the top of a forum list in order to feature it. Unpinning it means it is probably no longer relevant and therefore no longer being featured. TGOPS unpinned the old how-to threads that were about PN’s previous redesign, for example. Those were no longer relevant since they didn’t apply to the most recent redesign. I imagine there were other featured threads that are no longer relevant. It’s good housekeeping. 

"You talkin' to me?"