Who are the "likes" coming from?

Sanford

I can see the names of Likers.

We didn't have this spam problem before the change. I guess there was a spam-preventing measure in place that hasn't (yet) been replaced here. The forum-admins' forum at invision refer to three different ways: see  https://invisioncommunity.com/search/?q="Forum spam"&quick=1&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&page=2

There seems to be (back in 2013) a Spam Service provided by Invision themselves. Then there is (or was, in 2013) a plugin available from Stop Forum Spam, which is (I think) a database of IP addresses which hae been reported as spammers. Any new registrant is checked against that. I know nothing about Spam Defense, but it seems it may be a replacement for the Spam Service.

Anhow, it's above our powers; but there are anti-spam tools that can be used, and I guess in good time they will be. For now, I'm reporting the spam posts and files I see. There are also new registrants who are obviously here to spam (names like Online Pharmacy), but haven't yet posted. Maybe a profile page with their name on it is enough presence for them? I don't see a way to report these.

FWIW, we had much more than this at camera-wiki; our spammers were obviously bots, making several new accounts per second at times. We are a low-budget operation, and in the end we had to disable self-registration.

In regard to the spam, actually I believe it is a positive sign in addition to being irritating.  We were getting almost none for most of the last year.  Now with the relaunch we are getting it again.  I think it is a sign of site potential and health moving forward.  As far as I know, only the moderators handled spammers, I don't think there was a blocker in place.

9 minutes ago, Sandy Vongries said:

I think it is a sign of site potential and health moving forward. 

A cup 3/4 full. SPAM is now the sign of health and potential! Welcome to the 21st Century, Toto. 🙂

Seriously, though, I figured admin just hadn’t engaged software blockers yet. For me, the sign of health and potential is that, despite inconsistent user experience so far, the forums are working mostly well and the features are mostly clear and well conceived. I’d consider it a smooth transition so far and assume more work is ongoing.

"You talkin' to me?"

2 hours ago, NHSN said:

You cant see this?

image.png.29c11495e14fc998661f3348c438712b.png

I can see names, too. For all who can’t, just pretend it’s a new secret admirer feature, a clever little social media interaction where folks can like your post anonymously! 

By the way, are those of you not seeing the names of likers getting notifications of them? If not, go into your account, then account settings, and adjust your notifications. That might (or might not) make a difference.

"You talkin' to me?"

I don't see them. Maybe it's a function of being a registered user or a subscriber. Being logged in doesn't make any difference.

As for making adjustments in the notifications:, adjust to what? The only option I see is to get an e-mail.   Seems I shouldn't need an e-mail to see who "likes" an image.

• Like 2

I see the names, and I'm a registered freeloader, not a paid-up member.

Earlier, people were mentioniing what OS and browser they were using; I think that may be the right area to look. FWIW I have Windows 11 and Firefox 105. I also have NoScript, and have marked photo.net and invisioncic.com as trusted.

I also have AdBlock Plus, but it isn't blocking anything on this site.

I tried putting invisioncic to default in NoScript (=not trusted; doesn't allow their script to run). I Exited Firefox, and then came back. I can still see the Like-names, but the photos themselves don't display. So I put invisioncic bac to trusted, and photo.net to default. Same effect: I see the names but not the photos.

If you don't see the Like names, do you see the little bar of other reactions? When I mouse over the Like button, a bar of four other buttons (a 'Thanks' trophy, a laughing face, a confused face and a sad face) shoots out to the left of it.

I'm a former subscriber, now registered user. Don't know how I got the "pro" designation. Jeez, on the original site I was a Hero. At least we know it's not a subscriber/user thing.

I use Windows 10 and up to date Firefox on a desk top. I do see the icons when I hover over the hearts on posts, just numbers on mine and no names. I got a notification that 2 people "reacted" to my post, but no names.

I'm not going to lose sleep over it. It is nice to see names associated with appreciation. I prefer names to anonymity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Laura Weishaupt said:

As for making adjustments in the notifications:, adjust to what? The only option I see is to get an e-mail.   Seems I shouldn't need an e-mail to see who "likes" an image.

I was thinking that maybe you had notifications turned off, in which case I was suggesting you turn them on. Definitely not suggesting email notifications, just site wide notifications. But, it sounds like your notifications are on, so that's not the reason you're not seeing the names associated with the heart in your post. Must be some other kind of glitch. I imagine there are many the developers are dealing with and most will get sorted as we go forward. As far as your status, I'll defer to Hunter S. Thompson, lol ...

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

🙂

"You talkin' to me?"