Who are the "likes" coming from?

Sanford

Quite a few issues (many which are being addressed) come from individual 'Group' permissions.  In fora, each class of user has individual permissions set.  This way, one can limit Members from having a signature, but allow them for Subscribers.  Or limit or expand something else such as a quota--which is where the Like issue is coming from.  At this point, there is inconsistency between permissions of the Members and PhotoNet Pro groups.  This is why we (PNP) can't see the names of those who react--instead get a generic "Somebody Reacted."  It's an easy fix in the admin control panel, but I am guessing that our administrator has his hands full with other things right now...

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

A huge Irish Setter bitch of mine would simply melt into an inert puddle of dog and let the vet do whatever she wanted. Our family response to stress was always "remember Jenny" (her name).

For the time being here, just remember Jenny.

41 minutes ago, Dieter Schaefer said:

I would certain like to see the names of those who "liked" a photo or a post - I currently can't and hope that photo.net can implement that features for all and not just a select few.

@Dieter Schaefer

cc. @Sanford, @Jon Eckman

Just hover with your cursor over the 'likes' button to see the members who have liked your post or photo.

Edited by mikemorrellNL

9 minutes ago, mikemorrellNL said:

Posts: just hover with your cursor over the 'likes' button to see the members who liked your post or photo.

Doesn't work for me in any browser I've tried - if I hover over the button all I get is an explanation of the emoji (like, haha or such); no matter what I do, I never get to see the name of the person leaving the like (or on of the other emoji options).

15 minutes ago, Dieter Schaefer said:

Doesn't work for me in any browser I've tried - if I hover over the button all I get is an explanation of the emoji (like, haha or such); no matter what I do, I never get to see the name of the person leaving the like (or on of the other emoji options).

Sorry it doesn't work for you Dieter, I suggest contacting the mods about the OS & browser you're using. For me (using W11 and Chrome) I see both for posts and photo's who's 'liked' them. Even if I don't 'hover:

image.thumb.jpeg.fa2d83b9499db9731b26d2e9dd9717c3.jpeg

Photos:

image.thumb.jpeg.ee5d31758398c5f894b04cc626c55555.jpeg

Edited by mikemorrellNL

1 hour ago, Dieter Schaefer said:

I would certain like to see the names of those who "liked" a photo or a post - I currently can't and hope that photo.net can implement that features for all and not just a select few.

I am having the same problem. I would want to see who liked my or other photos. Also eliminate the number of photos we can like in a day.

11 minutes ago, James Bryant said:

I am having the same problem. I would want to see who liked my or other photos. Also eliminate the number of photos we can like in a day.

Pro members have been experiencing this during the migration. For a while, it seemed to get fixed. Sounds like a hiccup. It’s a matter of different PN “groups” defaulting to different permissions in the migration. Good that you brought it up. Should get fixed in time. Admin seems to be aware of it.

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

25 minutes ago, mikemorrellNL said:

Sorry it doesn't work for you Dieter, I suggest contacting the mods about the OS & browser you're using.

Thanks Mike - will wait a while to see if this gets fixed without the need to contact PN administration. Wonder why there isn't a thread somewhere to report these issues that is monitored and responded to by management.

For the time being, for me, not much has changed (and nothing for the better) - the "photo" side of PN isn't working properly and the forum side (in which I am much much more interested) is lacking some features that I quite liked in the older version; so in essence, in its current state, the new PN is a step backwards. I find navigating the forums not as easy as with the now-gone version PN 2.0. I miss the indicator that showed me I responded in a thread.

Edited by Dieter Schaefer

3 minutes ago, Dieter Schaefer said:

I miss the indicator that showed me I responded in a thread. I miss the old way of seeing unread content - in its current form, it's pretty useless.

If you look closely at the thread list in a Category (such as 'No Words' or 'Landscape', you will see solid green circles.  If you have posted to a thread, you will note a little green star!  If there is something new in the thread, the color will be vivid.  If not, it is much more dim...

Edited by PapaTango
  • Excellent! 1

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

One solution to the not-knowing-who’s-liked-you dilemma is to stop giving out likes. You’re pretty much assured to receive fewer likes yourself that way, so there will be less to not know.

An alternative would be simply to cherish these unidentified likes as secret admirers. 🥰

"You talkin' to me?"

I hear the developers are working on a new “like-generation” button we can push if we’re not getting the number of likes we’d like. It goes through our photos with a “popularity AI adapter” that will see to it our photos are more in line with social media taste standards. Generally speaking, it will add contrast, saturation, and sharpening as well as changing young adult subjects into cute babies or dogs and depressing street shots into pristine landscapes or beautiful flowers. At any time, we can opt into the nude filter to automatically turn any subject into a thin naked woman with high heels and a wine glass, thereby assuring we blow away the competition. Guaranteed to improve both our Internet standing and our self image. Win-win. 🙂

• Very Nice 1

"You talkin' to me?"