Explanation of New Rating System?

ericphelps

I notice that we all have been rated and assigned badges and numbers, like 4th grade strivers or prisoners looking for more privileges.

When the little waving hand next to my E avatar is highlighted, it shows the rank of Newbie, as do most others here which is offensive. Worse, the little waving hand next to Luis's avatar shows Apprentice, which illuminates the failure of this rating system.

Lastly, I have a Reputation of 8.7. Should I try hard to improve it or work to worsen it? I have Badges now too - 4, I think. Should I be proud? 

• Like 3

Why do I say things...

Congratulations, Eric! Last time I checked, I'm both a pro and a rookie. My reputation is 2.5 so you're better than I am! Wear your badges with pride.

Furthermore, I'm forbidden to have any more reactions today, I've apparently used up the day's quota (two).

Edited by sallymack

Badges for posting ubiquity, for receiving likes, for giving likes, and for the other inane reasons they are beyond childish. I don’t blame this site. It’s a feature of so many internet sites. Thankfully, they can be ignored, and it looks like we can turn off notifications for them, which will help those of us not motivated by gold stars. At upper right, click on the three horizontal line icon, then ACCOUNT, then ACCOUNT SETTINGS, then NOTIFICATIONS and make your selections. 

"You talkin' to me?"

Haha, I am a Pro and a Rookie...🥳 wow look at all the emoticon choices. Guess there is unlimited potential to move up. Rookie 🤔

Wondering what to choose on the hearting ❤️ a post. Seem choices are; wow iconic award, hahaha, ugh what, so sad I am crying. Maybe there could be a simple, hey I like it and a that's cool 😎.

Edited by Mark Keefer
Cheers, Mark

3 minutes ago, Mark Keefer said:

Haha, I am a Pro and a Rookie...🥳 wow look at all the emoticon choices. Guess there is unlimited potential to move up. Rookie 🤔

Wondering what to choose on the hearting ❤️ a post. Seem choices are; wow iconic award, hahaha, ugh what, so sad I am crying. Maybe there could be a simple, hey I like it and a that's cool 😎.

Again, this is a standard feature of the platform, the same on three other interest sites I patronize.  It probably won't change.

• Excellent! 1

Send them a PM and tell them you like their photo?

[I’d guess the limit on likes was unintentional. Since members seem to … like … that function, I also imagine administration will address it soon.]

Edited by samstevens

"You talkin' to me?"

Can anyone explain this ?

'You have used 3.87 GB of your 488.28 MB attachment limit.'

Is this the classic 'Divide by cheese Error' ?

😕

Just noticed I am now tony_parsons1 - what has happened to the old me ? Have I been the victim of identity theft ??

Edited by tony_parsons1
Identity change enquiry
  • Very Nice 1

Yes, it looks like a few things are set to 'out of the box, defaults in the Invision ACP.  Badges are one of them.  An admin can set the numbers that all of that happens at--as well what the titles of the badges are.  These things take a bit of time--and only happen if one wants to pay attention to them.  The same is true for what is happening to the "membership level."  I believe that mjenson told us that everyone would start at Pro, and this be adjusted for free/premium membership later.

So far, here are a few issues I have encountered:

• No Signature lines--can be enabled with a few clicks
  • PM system has some serious issues. Clearing the inbox let me compose, but not send.
  • Quotas set for a few things (such as likes/reactions, uploads) are far too small.

This stuff is mostly settings.

Those badges are something that could be turned off (easily accomplished).  They are little more than eye candy fluff--and I have had to turn them off in a couple forums I have managed in the past over the personality problems they can bring out in some members.

It will take some time--but I think that we are on the right road.  Oh, and there will presumably be more things available in the ongoing process outside of the fora.  

• Like 1

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

16 minutes ago, PapaTango said:

Yes, it looks like a few things are set to 'out of the box, defaults in the Invision ACP.  Badges are one of them.  An admin can set the numbers that all of that happens at--as well what the titles of the badges are.  These things take a bit of time--and only happen if one wants to pay attention to them.  The same is true for what is happening to the "membership level."  I believe that mjenson told us that everyone would start at Pro, and this be adjusted for free/premium membership later.

So far, here are a few issues I have encountered:

• No Signature lines--can be enabled with a few clicks
  • PM system has some serious issues. Clearing the inbox let me compose, but not send.
  • Quotas set for a few things (such as likes/reactions, uploads) are far too small.

This stuff is mostly settings.

Those badges are something that could be turned off (easily accomplished).  They are little more than eye candy fluff--and I have had to turn them off in a couple forums I have managed in the past over the personality problems they can bring out in some members.

It will take some time--but I think that we are on the right road.  Oh, and there will presumably be more things available in the ongoing process outside of the fora.  

Thanks for your input, it is appreciated.  In order to avoid overloading the resources that are working on the site, suggest that brief, focused suggestions or issues be sent to me via PM.  I will combine them and pass them up the line in one PM every few days.  I have used this platform on other sites and think we are on a good path which will only improve with time.  I would have had a hard time being that confident on previous relaunches.

• Excellent! 1

I'm a newbie with a massive "reputation" of 17.2k (last I looked) ... I have a bunch of badges - they seem to appear without my even doing anything- although I "liked" a post here just now and garnered another one-  for... "reacting well" of all things! Who cooks this stuff up.  I'm on a bunch of other forums, mostly motorcycle stuff, and never saw any such like, but hey it's a big world "out there".  

Anyway, regarding all this, I find it mostly amusing, rather than useful. IMO if someone ccould make up some badges for proper grammar and spelling, punctuation and sentence structure, that'd be great, although perhaps more impactful on f@c3b00k than here- where people tend to be able to acrually write well enough? In the marketplace perhaps a badge for reading comprehension would go a long way too LOL 

The last badge I cared about was the Mile Swim Badge I recieved from the Boy Scouts at summer camp the summer before 6th grade.  The badge had a Sea Horse on it and my mom sewed it on my swim suit.  Still proud of that and it was sixty years ago.  

19 minutes ago, tholte said:

The last badge I cared about was the Mile Swim Badge I recieved from the Boy Scouts at summer camp the summer before 6th grade.  The badge had a Sea Horse on it and my mom sewed it on my swim suit.  Still proud of that and it was sixty years ago.  

Are you still seeing it?  Appears to be gone.