Scanning 35 m negetives

alex_matus

HI, I have never done this before, but I have a show coming up, and I have 20 years old 35 m negatives.

So I need to scan them.

The saner is asking me

1. DPI?

2. PPI

3. Resolution

I have two rolls one is color, the other is b & w. I will have a Digital show, meaning after I scan the photos, they will be displayed via a projector onto a large wall.

Please let me know what the setting should be for scanning.

Thank you in advance for your input

Kind Regards

Alex

If(!) the only goal of scanning is projecting the results, figure out your projector's resolution 8K? 4K? 1080? 720? and scan accordingly. At least in theory.. I'd go for a slightly higher resolution, to have wiggle room, to crop images to taste, since at least I here am shooting somewhat sloppily with primes. - YMMV.

Another approach would scan as high resolution as possible, within a price bracket and utilize a computer fast enough to handle those bigger files for projection or prepare dedicated small files for projection with primitive tech. (No offense meant, I am just a huge fan of dirt cheap laptops...)

• Like 1

FInd out what the projector accepts? For example, does it require jpegs? What DPI does it recommend? Also, how does the projector input the files? Finally, you have to try it out before the show to make sure you have the process down to avoid being embarrassed when it does not work for some reason when everyone is there.
  • Like 1

For some scanners, higher resolution is slower.

But for such a small number, it is probably best to do the highest resolution of your scanner.

(Though often scanners scan at higher resolution than the optical system supports,

so some of it is wasted.)

Many of us have thousands of slides, which we would like to scan, but haven't

gotten around to it and/or it takes too long.

• Like 1

-- glen

FInd out what the projector accepts? For example, does it require jpegs? What DPI does it recommend? Also, how does the projector input the files? Finally, you have to try it out before the show to make sure you have the process down to avoid being embarrassed when it does not work for some reason when everyone is there.

Thank you for your reply. Projector is Benq 2050a with Native Full HD 1080p resolution