Nikon D850, New $2500 [Sale Ended]

ShunCheung

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there wasn't £:$ parity in Nikon pricing, I'd be quite tempted by the Z6ii @~ £1600.

That's the current price of the Z6 here now.

Are the sensors for the D850 and Z7 identical?

I believe the phase detect Auto Focus sensors for the Z series cameras are on the sensor. The phase detect Auto Focus sensors for DSLR cameras, including the D850, are not. Thus the sensors cannot be identical.

• Like 1

I believe the phase detect Auto Focus sensors for the Z series cameras are on the sensor.

True.

The phase detect Auto Focus sensors for DSLR cameras, including the D850, are not. Thus the sensors cannot be identical.

The one camera I believe this is not true for is the D780 - it has the same sensor as the Z6.

• Like 1

Still discounted - and out of stock.

At this point no other brand has a camera with AF performance similar to the D500 below $2000 anyway.

My thought exactly!

I had that experience before when I paid $4800 for a D2X in 2005 only to watch it superseded by a $1800 D300 in 2007, and I would rather not let that happen to me again.

I would like to avoid that experience too - hence my reluctance to commit to any purchase now, however tempting.

Just by chance, yesterday I ran into a friend who pre-ordered the D6. He asked me whether I had gotten one or not, and I told him that I am going to wait. He is around 73 years old and apparently has some money. He still owns his D5 and also has a 800mm/f5.6 AF-S VR, which is a $16K lens. If I were at his age, I probably would have bought a D6 immediately also. I have a few friends who are still actively photographing in their 70's or even 80's, but one's health could potentially change very quickly at that age.

Here is a link to Nikon USA Black Friday deals. Presumably they are available throughout November, while supply is available:

Shop Early Deals Now. | Nikon Mirrorless, DSLR and More on Sale

I noticed that some F-mount lenses are in deep discount:

IMO, it is pretty clear that F-mount products are getting difficult to sell, and hence Nikon is having deep discounts.

The difference between spending less money..... and spending no money!

Sadly still £3500 in the UK.

That discount $ price is ~ £2560...:(

During "normal" times, I would have suggested that you come over to New York and pick one up, but in these days you may also also pick up Covid-19. :eek: Actually since the UK is under another new lockdown, I don't want the risk that you may bring some over. :mad:

Seriously, I am a bit surprised that Nikon USA is discounting the 500 PF, as supply still seems tight.

• Like 1

the 500 PF, as supply still seems tight

Make space for the 500mm 5.6 PF S line lens?....:D

I wonder how easy a factory refit would be for F mount > Z mount?

Effectively it would need an E version of the FTZ....:cool:

Actually since the UK is under another new lockdown

Will be, will be! ....from Thursday...:(

Any guess on when the 200-600 z lens will be available? 2021? 2022?

In the earlier roadmap up to (the end of) 2021, the 100-400 S and 200-600 were there.

However, with the latest roadmap, the timeline is extended to 2022 and there are three new lenses: 85mm, 400mm, and 600mm, all S. It is entirely possible that Nikon is moving some lenses originally slated for 2021 into 2022, especially after all the delays due to Covid-19. Moreover, since the Tokyo Olympics is moved to 2021 (which is still up in the air), Nikon could move the 400mm/f2.8 into 2021 with a sports-oriented Z body. But of course that means the D6 is immediately superseded after just over a year, and that is probably unlikely.

Below was the roadmap Nikon released in July 2020 when the Z5 was announced., and these lenses are through the end of 2021. But of course plans could change.

LensRoadMap_2020_07.thumb.jpg.f0190cb828b6b4ed5c1f8b82395fcf77.jpg

Sadly still £3500 in the UK.

That's £2800 before UK's 20% tax - or about $3613; which almost identical to the price here before the discount. In my case, the $300 discount would almost cancel out the tax payment for me.

I would have suggested that you come over to New York and pick one up

How would you avoid paying the NY sales tax as a foreigner (who most likely won't qualify for the payboo card from B&H (which I think is the only way to avoid paying sales tax for US residents nowadays))? Though I believe that you can get it refunded when you leave the country. Granted, that would still save around 10% (or the full 20% if you get the NY tax refunded) plus the discount - an amount that likely will be more than eaten up if you have to pay UK taxes and customs upon entry (when properly declaring the purchase).

Edited by Dieter Schaefer

So if i wonder

You mean you "wonder if you wander into B&H"?

if the listed cost is $3300, what's it gonna cost me?

$3590 (NY sales tax is 8.8%). As I said, you may get this back when you leave the country and file for sales tax refund. Note that there's no federal government refund of sales tax; sales taxes are a state (and local county/city) affair. For New York, you can find the info here: Sales tax refund applications

You could order from (or buy in) Alaska, Delaware, Montana, Oregon or New Hampshire - those states don't have sales tax - so B&H won't collect it. In the old days, the trick was to have the B&H purchase delivered to a hotel in New Jersey and pay no sales tax; that loop hole closed when B&H was forced to collect out-of-state sales tax.

I wonder if this post is actually visible - it doesn't seem to count in the Nikon forum thread list.

Edited by Dieter Schaefer

missed the Edit!

Which State has the lowest TAXes at the counter?

US sales tax is not merely by state. Local counties and cities may optionally add some percentage on top of the state percentage. Several states have no sales tax at all, such as Oregon, New Hampshire, Delaware, and Montana.

So, all prices mentioned on US sites like Nikon US or B&H are completely ex TAX?

Yep, as everywhere in the US - you only learn how much things really cost at the register when you pay (except, of course, in those states that don't charge a sales tax).

IRS

That's federal - they've got nothing to do with sales tax. As I said, sales tax are a state affair (and local authorities often add something to the tally as well).

• Like 1