Sony XQD Card Price Drop

ShunCheung

Seriously though, now that I have 184GB of XQD (120 + 64) - plus the multiple SD cards, I cannot imagine needing any more to shoot on the field with my D500 camera. I remember those days when I brought a pair of 250GB external drives to go to a trip for backup of all the images of the entire trip. .

Point is ( for me) i do not want 120GB cards wich cost close to 300 Euro's,

Loosing a card, or a defective card is just too expensive both moneywise and "picture wise"( allready had 2 failing 64G cards ) , that risk is a lot less when using smaller SD cards.

I would rather have multiple 32GB cards at an affordable price….

Theen apart from that also not all XQD readers are compatible with all cards, which is just plain stupid ….

• Like 2

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theen apart from that also not all XQD readers are compatible with all cards, which is just plain stupid ….

Can't imagine this would happen. Annoying enough was when I ended up looking for my D500 Yellowstone photos (last month) on the backup-SD cards 'coz I could not find the XQD reader at that time - having been spoiled by the ability to insert SD cards directly into my computers. Truthfully, it made me pause a bit to wonder if I needed the XQD cards.

I am far more comfortable with XQD cards than SD. XQD cards are alot more dependable.

You can connect the camera to a computer via a USB cable and directly transfer images. You don’t have to use a card reader.

Additionally, on the bodies with dual XQD and SD slots (D500 and D850), you can copy images from the XQD card to SD inside the camera. In general, on any Nikon DSLR with dual slots, you can use the camera body to copy images from one card to the other. I have captured RAW file with a D5 on XQD, insert that XQD card into a D500, and use the D500 to copy the D5 NEF files onto an SD card. There are work arounds.

• Like 2

For curiosity sake, I found an article with a rough estimate of how many images fit into a 32GB card on the 24MP Nikon D7100.

https://prophotosupply.com/newsdesk/2014/06/how-many-images-will-fit-memory-card/

Nikon manuals usually list the number of various format images that will fit on a memory card. The D7100 manual lists this data on page 348 (of the English manual). As the article states, multiply or divide the figure for other capacity cards.

By the way, Nikon disagrees with prophotosupply listing less images. But as the Nikon manual states, "All figures are approximate. File size varies with scene recorded." I suspect the Nikon figures are worst case, to keep the lawyers happy.

• Like 1

Sony make an Express Card Adapter for XQD if your laptop has the right slot.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-QDAEX1-Express-Card-Adapter/dp/B006YYOQ88

Apparently Lexar's work in it too.

Express Card is an old, obsolescent interface for laptop computers. If you are interested, here is an article about the interface:

ExpressCard - Wikipedia

As the article states most computer manufacturers dropped the interface in 2010.

I started getting XQD cards in 2016 for the D500. The only readers I have are the Sony ones that came with their cards back then, as Sony no longer provides “free” readers. Those 2016 Sony readers work with all XQD cards I have, including some Lexar cards. There is no reader compatibility issues unless you own some very old cards from 2012, 2013 if you use them on a D4 back then.

I recall many years ago, like about 10, Lexar used to supply some SD card readers with their SD scards. Somehow those SD readers only work with Lexar cards. In these days I rarely use SD readers since most laptops have the slot built in.

Seems odd to have an XQD Express Card Adapter then?

For computers it probably is. However Sony makes a SxS Recorder that uses it.

SonyPMW-RX50 SxS Card Recorder/Player

(I have no idea what this is or who uses it. It is expensive.)

I have an old HP laptop that I bought my sister many years ago (it came with the then new Windows Vista installed) that has a slot for this adapter, if anyone is interested. It also has PATA disk drives. I have Linux running on it - running slowly on it. If anyone is interested in it ...

By the way I have since found my Sony XQD reader. I appreciate reading the many related tips and tricks. There are indeed "99 ways to skin a cat" :eek: - Wonder who originated this cringeworthy expression. o_O

The "Cat" is a catfish, so it is not so cringe worthy. As for the phrase "more than one way to skin a cat":

Origin of the phrase, "There's more than one way to skin a cat."

and please let Thomas, our 18-year old cat alone <GRIN>.

Glad you found your reader.

• Like 1

CF express was always meant to replace XQD 2.0 so I don't know why it is so important whether there will be new XQD cards manufactured in the future. For D4 and D4s users, yes, and perhaps some other cameras (Sony video cameras, Panasonic S1, Phase One) or devices (portable storage units) may not be updated to be CF express compatible. It's up to the camera and device manufacturers to provide updated firmware.

I suspect that because CF express cards will be much faster, they may also be more expensive than XQD cards, and of course that may mean continued availability of XQD cards in lower price classes. In any case memory cards tend to be available new for even quite old cameras and formats for a long time after they have stopped being mainstream.